Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #346
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
I'm red to the back teeth and think a rallye kit would be neat. I like the idea of having one bike and retrofitting genuine HRC parts - they have a certain 'cache' ;)

Am I'm gonna do a rallye? Hell no. But we can all dream:)
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #347
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse (shit I wouldn't even beat a live horse )

You can already buy kits to transform an enduro bike. A purpose built bike will have far too many changes to make the price of an endure bike an option (my guess). I can't see buying a 10 grand enduro then dropping 20+ grand on a kit...swing arms, motor modifications, new triples with a longer rake, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong I am super stoked Honda is joining the game

It's the moto geek in me that wants to be wowed with rally pron, like I was when the 690rr and the 450rr were released. The differences between these bikes and their enduro counter parts is greater than the similarities.

I wanna see HRC compete for the podium, not just make a reliable rally bike

No one is on a level playing field with the factory ktm bikes, I wanna see this change. Bike first and foremost then HRC sponsoring the event ($$$$) so that they get "favored" by the organizers. Shit, Honda should buy Redbull (or have their team co sponsored by them) and donate some trucks for the ASO to use for their staff (like VW). It's gonna take more than a sweet bike to win the Dakar (IMHO)

All that said I wanna be "wowed" when they display their new bike....all just an opinion from an obscure fan
Agreed! I like KTMs but kinda tired of them winning everything. I was hoping that the 450 rule would give yamaha a chance since they were already kinda doing it anyway.... I'd like to see some competition instead of "Hey guess who's winning...Coma/Despres! What are they riding? KTM"........ :(

Having said that, I'd like to see KTM win in Baja for a change...
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #348
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse (shit I wouldn't even beat a live horse )
So really, when you think about it, a dead horse is the best kind of horse to beat.

From Visor Down:

A LEAKED picture of Honda's new Dakar rally bike has made it into the public sphere

Doyle, nobody here is going to rat you out as part of the source. You're secret is safe with us.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #349
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,113
sleeping with the fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
From Visor Down:

A LEAKED picture of Honda's new Dakar rally bike has made it into the public sphere

Doyle, nobody here is going to rat you out as part of the source. You're secret is safe with us.
Doyle... are you familiar with the sound Yakuza assasins make, as they stealthily make there way into you bedroom of a night...

No... you don't?! that's okay... no one does...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #350
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 520
Quote:

I wanna see HRC compete for the podium, not just make a reliable rally bike
I don't think HRC ever just turned up to make up the numbers.
HRC come to town to win. Granted they don't always win but they aren't just grid fillers.
I bet there is all kinds of unobtanium inside that engine and it won't be just a bodykitted 450.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #351
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I don't think HRC ever just turned up to make up the numbers.
HRC come to town to win. Granted they don't always win but they aren't just grid fillers.
I bet there is all kinds of unobtanium inside that engine and it won't be just a bodykitted 450.
Yep, HRC will have special part numbers stamped into the spokes
Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #352
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,515
Yeah cause Honda have done so much in the way of dirt bikes in the last 20 years...

Like releasing XR650r, a big bore enduro just as everyone else is switching to midsize fourstrokes, and they did release the CRFr series, and a few years after they gave it a wide ratio gearbox and a lighting coil, and may updated it two or three times since it's release...

And then made the Transalp a road bike...

Did I miss anything?

Anyone else remember when Honda had some balls and made some great bikes...

Seriously though, I hope this does signal Hondas return to the off road in a serious manner.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #353
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Yeah cause Honda have done so much in the way of dirt bikes in the last 20 years...

Like releasing XR650r, a big bore enduro just as everyone else is switching to midsize fourstrokes, and they did release the CRFr series, and a few years after they gave it a wide ratio gearbox and a lighting coil, and may updated it two or three times since it's release...

Did I miss anything?

Seriously though, I hope this does signal Hondas return to the off road in a serious manner.
You did forget 2 - strokes, I'm beating up my local dealers on blue bikes at the moment.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #354
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post

Did I miss anything?

This. Even as they throw the weight of the mighty HRC behind their campaign, it will translate into zero practical applications for the mere mortals trying to build a CRF.

And say they win in '13, the marketing dept will probably slap some dakar stickers onto a Varadero or Transalp and milk their victory for all it's worth
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #355
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Doyle... are you familiar with the sound Yakuza assasins make, as they stealthily make there way into you bedroom of a night...

No... you don't?! that's okay... no one does...
No one hears it twice, right? solomotor.es was more the scoop than me, I just may have been one of the first in English.

Either way, the photos show other audience members taking photos and using laptops, so I don't think Honda considers this much of a leak which leads me to believe that the bike shown is just a representative mock up.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #356
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
No one hears it twice, right? solomotor.es was more the scoop than me, I just may have been one of the first in English.

Either way, the photos show other audience members taking photos and using laptops, so I don't think Honda considers this much of a leak which leads me to believe that the bike shown is just a representative mock up.
Well, less than a week before the press conference with real pics and news, other than the speculation and whispers so far!
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #357
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Even as they throw the weight of the mighty HRC behind their campaign, it will translate into zero practical applications for the mere mortals trying to build a CRF.
That's not what I was told.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #358
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
That's not what I was told.
I hope I'm wrong... but the Honda track record so far:

EXP2? .... dead in the water / unobtainium for privateers
XRV650? ... good luck getting one of those back in the day, IIRC the production model was a one year affair... skip to next year's XRV750, touring bike with go-faster-race-decals...

etc, ad nauseum, you get the idea
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #359
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
I hope I'm wrong... but the Honda track record so far:

EXP2? .... dead in the water / unobtainium for privateers
XRV650? ... good luck getting one of those back in the day, IIRC the production model was a one year affair... skip to next year's XRV750, touring bike with go-faster-race-decals...

etc, ad nauseum, you get the idea
Dont forget the road racing department bikes (NSR-NSF) that are also hard for privateers to afford..

so will there be a bike for the masses and one for the rich folk ? I doubt it..

Im guessing it will be the latter like the KTM upwards of 40 grand IF you can buy one...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #360
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Dont forget the road racing department bikes (NSR-NSF) that are also hard for privateers to afford..

so will there be a bike for the masses and one for the rich folk ? I doubt it..

Im guessing it will be the latter like the KTM upwards of 40 grand IF you can buy one...
So what is it exactly that people are wanting Honda to build? Is it a bike that can compete on par with the Factory KTM, in other words a bike that Coma/Despres could still win on if they were racing a Honda? Keep in mind that this would be a bike that would be priced out of the range of most recreational rally racers (like the KTM). Or are we wanting Honda to build a bike that recreational racers could afford, keeping in mind that the performance would be on par with the price paid? In other words a bike that's still going to be second-tier.

I am all for a full-on HRC effort that produces a bike that has the capacity of keeping up with (or surpassing) the KTM. If that means it costs $45K then so be it. If there happens to be some trickle down technology or special parts available that you can bolt onto your CRF450X that's an added benefit, but still secondary to putting out a machine that can actually compete against the orange one.

Most of all I want to see a real race and not a one-sided Redbull/KTM event with a field of talented on "other" bikes that are good, but not great. I truly want to see a level playing field where pressure is being put on the current orange royalty by someone not named Marc or Cyril.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote