Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #496
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
The Husky-BMW are kicking ass and have done in Dakar with no EFI issues.

None of the other Husabergs had injector issues and Manuel had not fitted the filter needed.

Cheers
Pilbara
SafariBerg has raced F.I. Bergs for many years and hundreds of hours in rallies. - If I am recalling correctly, in last years Dakar his team ran a dual fuel pump set-up. An external pump could be used as a back-up in case of a failure of the in-tank pump.

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #497
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post

Exhaust mounting
The aluminum tanks will do just fine. Problems that Yamaha had in the past are Yamaha problems. Honda does it right. For example with the mount shown above, notice that the bracket is welded to a pad that is welded to the tank. A break at the bracket attachment point (a common failure point) will not compromise the tank itself. Honda knows what they are doing and will not have amateurish failures.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #498
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
The aluminum tanks will do just fine. Problems that Yamaha had in the past are Yamaha problems. Honda does it right. For example with the mount shown above, notice that the bracket is welded to a pad that is welded to the tank. A break at the bracket attachment point (a common failure point) will not compromise the tank itself. Honda knows what they are doing and will not have amateurish failures.
Good eye - that is a really nice detail...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #499
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Actually, I was not referring to the rear tanks, but the front ones. Yamaha has problems on their 15L front tanks, rears were always fine. Perhaps with the smaller capacity, i.e. less shaking weight, the supports where the screws go through won't crack...

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #500
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Those side tanks are going to ceate a lot of leverage on the frame.

I hope they have more modern plastic ones coming
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #501
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Those side tanks are going to ceate a lot of leverage on the frame.

I hope they have more modern plastic ones coming
By all accounts the balance and stability is good, they will probably be running with these next week, but who knows in 3 months, there are a lot of technical brains on this, but sometimes the need to prove something doesn't work also, so we really don't know, but should by Jan 5th
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #502
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I just read the report from the Dakar route crew for the first 7 stages. It looks like they are going to push the bikes to 15,000 ft on stage 3 or 4.

Coming back to the EFI issue, if you have to start a stage at sea level, go to 15,000 ft, then come back to sea level by the end of the stage, .... seems that EFI would have it's advantages!

I ride in the Peruvian Andes for a living with both carb and EFI bikes, and I'll tell you, that if a carb bike is jetted for sea level, by the time I am at 4.5k, it is running VERY rough. That's when I do a quick needle adjustment. When I hit 8,000 I have to break down and change a jet. Again at 13,000 ft.

When I'm riding in the Andes, I am not racing. I can live with a little plug fouling, but NOT IN THE DAKAR! When it is a tour, and I have to re-jet 8 bikes myself, it is REALLY a headache!

With the EFI bike(s) I never even have to think about jetting! SO NICE !

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #503
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
I just read the report from the Dakar route crew for the first 7 stages. It looks like they are going to push the bikes to 15,000 ft on stage 3 or 4.

Coming back to the EFI issue, if you have to start a stage at sea level, go to 15,000 ft, then come back to sea level by the end of the stage, .... seems that EFI would have it's advantages!

I ride in the Peruvian Andes for a living with both carb and EFI bikes, and I'll tell you, that if a carb bike is jetted for sea level, by the time I am at 4.5k, it is running VERY rough. That's when I do a quick needle adjustment. When I hit 8,000 I have to break down and change a jet. Again at 13,000 ft.

When I'm riding in the Andes, I am not racing. I can live with a little plug fouling, but NOT IN THE DAKAR! When it is a tour, and I have to re-jet 8 bikes myself, it is REALLY a headache!

What bikes (and what carbs) are you using?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #504
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:

Isn't there a full stage staying over 4,000m?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #505
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
What bikes (and what carbs) are you using?
These are not HIGH BUDGET adventure rides! My bikes are the standard Honda XR650L, the Brazilian made Honda NX4 (400cc) and the XR250 Tornado, and the Yamaha XTZ 250 Lander (which is EFI). Friends join me at times on their CRF450s and KTM 525s, but those are too high $$ for my beat around tour bikes!

But we have fun, and for very little $$ !

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #506
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Alu Tanks.

Quote:
Honda have the option to fit brand new tanks every night so I can't see this even being an issue.
Different matter for a privateer who needs everything to hold up for 9,000kms!

At least they are not made of carbon fibre which threatens to disintergrate at the mere sight of a rocky piste.
Now with such extreme altitude changes 'within' a number of the stages this year, if the EFI works well then Honda could pull out enough of an advantage. Gain a 2 minute and 1 second lead then shadow the closest Alien!
How many days left til DAKAR!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #507
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:

Those route details are definitely a strategy changer... maybe Orange will fit EFI as well this year?

From the map though, stages 1 through 6 look coastal:

Despite the determination to show restraint, Castera and his group still managed to break two records during this fifteen or so reconnaissance trips: “ [...] "Then we also climbed to 4970 metres in altitude. I can't say where but the Dakar has never gone this high before.” For a detailed explanation, we will have to wait until 21 November.

The two Andes crossings are the stage from Calama to Salta (on the 11th) and Fiambala to Copiapo (on the 17th), so I don' think they will start the day at sea level (or even if they will be Specials or Liaisons)

Brodovitch screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 02:26 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #508
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I didn't know there was an F5 prologue going on here ...
It seems everyone is cheering for the underdog this year.
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #509
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
I didn't know there was an F5 prologue going on here ...
It seems everyone is cheering for the underdog this year.
That's pretty funny !!

I guess with Hondas come back it introduces some more competition which is legitimate.
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #510
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trang View Post
Any clues on the 'sponsorship' of the Shindengen company?

For a bike that has very limited logos at all, they sure seem to be predominately displayed.

http://www.shindengen.co.jp/company_e/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote