User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #556
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Laugh

Is it ok for a guy that works for Honda, to have a name with three other "brands" in it?.... Yama(ha)(su)z(uki)(kawas)aki

Sorry if 205.....

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #557
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
JC comes back to the HRC factory late one night after testing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUD7FRStbY
Sure there will be plenty of funnies what with the size and multicultural nature of the HRC team - shit, they would keep a dozen privateers going from as many countries

I expect they will even have their own press and film crew - any guess on total numbers? - 25 - 30?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #558
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
It was just a question to see if KTM has made any press release etc. Nothing more or less.

Honda came very close to losing the b1000 in 2009.

It's not just rider. It's backup.
...and back up riders/bikes.

KTM may need to get a couple more factory rider/bikes to play the odds if Honda has 4 or 5 good riders on the attack.

...something KTM has not figured out in the baja.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #559
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
...and back up riders/bikes.

KTM may need to get a couple more factory rider/bikes to play the odds if Honda has 4 or 5 good riders on the attack.

...something KTM has not figured out in the baja.

JC is on his way to Moroccco to get a test Rally on the New CRF 450 Rally !!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #560
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
JC is on his way to Moroccco to get a test Rally on the New CRF 450 Rally !!
And his role on the team is announced. http://www.dirtrider.com/features/ka...tober-10-2012/
Johnny Campbell Talks Dakar Plans
By now, most of you have seen the photos of Honda’s new factory-built CRF450 Rally bike, the centerpiece of a new commitment to the most famous rally raid in the world. Three of them will make their competition debut at the upcoming OiLibya Morocco Rallye on October 14-20 ridden by Helder Rodrigues, Sam Sunderland and Felipe Zanol.
But America will also have a presence on the factory-backed effort in the person of 11-time Baja 1000 winner Johnny Campbell.
Honda’s official return to Dakar began, of course, a while ago. We caught up with Campbell, who finished eighth overall in his only previous Dakar start on two wheels back in 2001 (the top rookie that year), just before he left for the airport for his trip to Morocco. He reveals, “HGA is Honda R&D in Japan. They talked to me earlier this year, maybe in the spring, and said they were going to have a Dakar effort. So they asked me to help them out with conducting a test here in the States.
“Things got put together and by the end of summer, I was helping them with the test. At the test, they requested Eric [Siraton] and myself to help them with their Dakar effort.
“So, we made an agreement and it included the Morocco Rallye as a race test.
“My position there is to be Helder Rodrigues’ chase rider. We’re going to have a five-man team. (Javier Pizzolito will be the other support rider, often called the water carrier by Europeans.) My priority is to make sure that the main riders can do their very best and win the race. That means if [Rodrigues] breaks a wheel, I give him my wheel so he can continue, as an example.”
Does this signal a new direction for the Johnny Campbell Racing Honda team which heretofore has focused primarily on SCORE’s Baja races?
“I just have to adjust my schedule and everything,” Campbell insists. “But basically, I’ve been working on Baja [1000 preparations] for two months really solidly.
“When I return from Morocco on the 22nd, we’ll finalize all our Baja prep and we’ll go down and do our job down there.
“American Honda has very little interest in Dakar so the whole effort is more of a global Honda effort. The support’s coming from South America, Japan and Europe.
“JCR’s Baja agreement with American Honda will still stand and be the same and follow the same heritage we always have been. The Dakar effort will probably be a multi-year deal, multi-year program; it was just fitting for me to be involved because of my experience with the 450X and my experience with Dakar and my experience with Honda and bike development.”
Though he’s still a competitive racer, Campbell accepts his supporting role. “Myself, I’m definitely not chasing [being one of the primary riders]. Realistically, looking at my age (40) and my responsibilities here with the [JCR Honda] team–for me to say, Yeah, I’m going after the win at Dakar and stuff is really unlikely.
“But as we know, things change during races. Sometimes there’s injuries; sometimes there’s certain situations that happen. You never know when you might be put in the lead role.”
As there are only three of the new CRF450 Rally bikes available, the three primary riders will employ those in Morocco while Campbell and Pizzolito will use modified CRF450Xs similar to what JCR Honda developed for Quinn Cody’s 2012 Dakar. “It’s just the lack of time and manpower to get five bikes ready,” Campbell says.
“My goal, personally for myself, is to help the team and finish and hopefully we can learn and shake any bugs out we need shaking out of the bikes. Then we can regroup and go to Dakar that much stronger.”
Campbell expects to receive one of the new factory bikes to practice on some time between Morocco and Dakar, but he didn’t know when.
What he does know is this: “I think it’s going to be a really exciting adventure and cause a lot of excitement and media. I’m just looking forward to doing a good job and participating and hopefully make everybody proud back here.” —Mark Kariya

I find it interesting that there are only 3 bikes on hand.
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #561
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
JC is the MAN!!
I have known JC for over 25 years he is a rider that my sons have looked up too.

I
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #562
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
And his role on the team is announced. http://www.dirtrider.com/features/ka...tober-10-2012/
Johnny Campbell Talks Dakar Plans
By now, most of you have seen the photos of Honda’s new factory-built CRF450 Rally bike, the centerpiece of a new commitment to the most famous rally raid in the world. Three of them will make their competition debut at the upcoming OiLibya Morocco Rallye on October 14-20 ridden by Helder Rodrigues, Sam Sunderland and Felipe Zanol.
But America will also have a presence on the factory-backed effort in the person of 11-time Baja 1000 winner Johnny Campbell.
Honda’s official return to Dakar began, of course, a while ago. We caught up with Campbell, who finished eighth overall in his only previous Dakar start on two wheels back in 2001 (the top rookie that year), just before he left for the airport for his trip to Morocco. He reveals, “HGA is Honda R&D in Japan. They talked to me earlier this year, maybe in the spring, and said they were going to have a Dakar effort. So they asked me to help them out with conducting a test here in the States.
“Things got put together and by the end of summer, I was helping them with the test. At the test, they requested Eric [Siraton] and myself to help them with their Dakar effort.
“So, we made an agreement and it included the Morocco Rallye as a race test.
“My position there is to be Helder Rodrigues’ chase rider. We’re going to have a five-man team. (Javier Pizzolito will be the other support rider, often called the water carrier by Europeans.)

I find it interesting that there are only 3 bikes on hand.
Great "scoop" Will - I suppose that 5 challenging for the race is unheard of as the normal factory Dakar form is for "pairs" - but with 5 is there something we don't know yet

Still going to good in Morocco though!

too old screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:06 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #563
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,937
Reading the feedback from JC, the HRC strategy is very interesting, with very strong bets each way for the podium
  1. proven top 3 runner & best of the rest Helder with a fully proven top 10 runner JC as water boy - this combo is the team favorites
  2. Zonal & Pizzolito as the latin B team with Zanol an emerging star that has big time presence in the South American market, specially Brazil - soo good B team back up with market penetration
that leaves Sammy boy

The Wildcard rider with outright speed faster than all the others, at times, but still maturing the consistency to show his full potential over the long haul...................a true potential alien of the not too distant future, able to put pressure on the current aliens, and if the equipment can cope with his pace he will be there to jump on the podium if any of the aliens or Helder falter

for me Sam and Barreda are the aliens to be for the 2014 - 2020 Dakar's, gunna be great watching them

Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #564
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,336
At the Paris airport right now and will be in Morocco this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing some of the rally.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #565
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Speedbrain and KTM are off to Morocco today aswell, gonna be great

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #566
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Right, Morocco, steady in the rocks then flat out in the sand. Go Sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Probably the most treacherous rally out there, lots of rocks in the first stages.

It'll be very interesting.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #567
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
From Marocco to Baja to Dakar.
Johnny Campbell is a tough cookie.

So how complex are these Dakar bikes if HRC can't manage to put together more then a few?
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #568
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
So how complex are these Dakar bikes if HRC can't manage to put together more then a few?
It makes one wonder, hey?... they must be hollowed titanium everywhere and special weldings made by samurai skilled artisans!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #569
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Reading the feedback from JC, the HRC strategy is very interesting, with very strong bets each way for the podium
for me Sam and Barreda are the aliens to be for the 2014 - 2020 Dakar's, gunna be great watching them

Sam has been practicing his navigation a lot, so maybe wih 10% less km's on the clock the speed will be put to good use
Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #570
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
At the Paris airport right now and will be in Morocco this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing some of the rally.
The first Advrider to post a photo of the 450x rallye bike in the wild, gets a beer from me!!!;)
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote