Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #601
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,391
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  193.1 KB

No idea, but all bikes seem to be "Honda of South America" - guesses?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #602
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Attachment 313822

No idea, but all bikes seem to be "Honda of South America" - guesses?
I believe most of the budget is HSA marketing funds. Very large and growing market for Honda.
DruncleWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #603
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,075
I've kept quite on this, but my buddy that is number 2 at Honda USA says all the money is from Japan and HSA. Japan being the ones pushing very hard for this. He also says it has been way more work than they thought it would be- probably why there is only 3 "new" race bikes for Morocco. They brought JC on so they could do early testing in the US desert not far from the offices.
He also said that the US market is hurting for new enduro models but it is Japan that holds the purse strings and the US office will have to wait like the rest of us. I have been bugging him about this for years and it is the same story every time I bring it up. Maybe Japan is seeing the light? We'll see.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #604
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
In willing to give HRC the be benefit of the doubt on their preparedness. The reason for doubt is that they should know the level of commitment required - shouldn't they? I mean they have a history going back 25 years with Dakar.

I really hope this is not some slapped together team, that at first sign of trouble abandons long term plans for assumed HRC domination of world rally.

The brain farts Honda has committed over the past 15 years are enough to raise a lot of doubt about their long term see it through to the end commitment. I mean no electric start xr650r, no 6 speed 450x, no updated xr650l, no 450l. I was in japan 2 years ago and even the Z50 has pgm- fi now. As someone pointed out they have the parts lying around - its almost as of they need 1 person to join them altogether like a matrix. They own showa and they own keihin which are 2 very very important supply chain entities.

There is no doubt they have the expertise, but the long term passion is needed to stick at it. JC has it but he ain't HRC.

This must be costing north of $10m which i assume buys a lot of testing and research.

I'd love to know how the decision making process occurs at Honda.

rmhrc628 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 03:51 PM
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #605
Ciampa
Baja 2010!

Oddometer: 466

It looks like Honda is putting all their money into racing and cutting corners on video editing and music.

Ciampa screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 06:57 PM
Ciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #606
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Wow, I go pounding the streets of NYC for a week and come back to this thread running at F5 speed... Its awesome, seeing that we only get 14 days of F5 madness as year.

It has been said that the swingarm was not extended, but look at this photo, has it not been extended just a bit?

Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #607
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
In willing to give HRC the be benefit of the doubt on their preparedness. The reason for doubt is that they should know the level of commitment required - shouldn't they? I mean they have a history going back 25 years with Dakar.

I really hope this is not some slapped together team, that at first sign of trouble abandons long term plans for assumed HRC domination of world rally.

There is no doubt they have the expertise, but the long term passion is needed to stick at it. JC has it but he ain't HRC.

This must be costing north of $10m which i assume buys a lot of testing and research.

I'd love to know how the decision making process occurs at Honda.
It seems to be a little too well organized from the various regions to be slapped together (well hopefully) and with all the effort and hype and the fact that the sharp end of the costs will be borne by Dakar 2013, that Honda, their partners and their sponsors can carry this forward.

Most big budget efforts like this go above cost expectations, due to both unknowns and underestimates, as very little actually ever costs or requires less than expectations, plus a low best guess will move a project forward, a high one won't! - not that anyone would ever deliberatley keep the estimate low!

Here's hoping for the years to come, but I suppose some good results would go a lot of the way to supporting the ongoing input

too old screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 12:03 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #608
clearandlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Here in moroc today.

clearandlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #609
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearandlock View Post
Here in moroc today.

Nice pic.

Is that a Karoo rear tyre?

Also notice the rubber sleeve on the kick starter?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #610
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Is there some purpose to those open end hand-guards?
Aren't the full tang ones safer and sturdier?
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #611
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,032
Open guard to help stop broken arms , so your hand/ rist don't get court up in a cartwheel
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #612
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Nice pic.

Is that a Karoo rear tyre?

I think, it's the Pirelli Sorpion Rally tyre, because Pirelli is listed as a sponsor on the front fork guards.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #613
scobes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Wow, I go pounding the streets of NYC for a week and come back to this thread running at F5 speed... Its awesome, seeing that we only get 14 days of F5 madness as year.

It has been said that the swingarm was not extended, but look at this photo, has it not been extended just a bit?

The Current honda europe kit comes with a r model swingarm which is longer then the x model and allows enough clearance for the rear tanks, so it could be a r model swingarm rather then extending a x model?
scobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #614
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,609
Quote:

Aluminum tank...I pictured the entire side of the kickstarter to be rubber coated so as to avoid cracking a tank but I suppose there is good odds the kick starter won't be used.

I am loving HRC getting into the rally game again. Might be a couple of years before they "own" it.....once the aliens retire in a couple of years HRC could be in a perfect position to "take over". Even if they don't it's great to see someone say they are going for the win

I predict we see red on the podium in January, not the top of the podium but standing up there in 2nd or 3rd.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #615
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Open guard to help stop broken arms , so your hand/ rist don't get court up in a cartwheel
Rider preference may play a role also. The 2nd bike in line has the wrap-around type.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote