Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #121
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
You need to read up on Quinn's accomplishments.

Multiple Baja 1000 wins on a Honda & 9th place finish in his first attempt at the Dakar on a Honda.

Rookie of the Year at the Dakar on a Honda.

http://www.quinncody.com/about/

Fully appreciate that, the reference was solely to Dakar 2012 - Quinn had an unfortunate early crash on the US bike and the Europen built bikes has stator issues, although a couple including JC finished, they we not raced at top 10 pace. Having said that there may not have been anything fundamentally problematical as long as they don't have the same stators

Who knows what HRC will bring to the bike or if it will be totally new?

too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #122
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
OO Bikes made their way from Holland via Portugal to Morocco where they are currently being tested..
Old 07-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #123
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
OO Bikes made their way from Holland via Portugal to Morocco where they are currently being tested..
Yep, that's what I heard, too! BTW, I may soon have Hélder as an RNS TripMaster customer

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #124
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
This is going to be good

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #125
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Yep, that's what I heard, too! BTW, I may soon have Hélder as an RNS TripMaster customer
That is very good news Tony!!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #126
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
That is very good news Tony!!

+1 Tony!!!!! Brilliant news.
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #127
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,561
Quote:
That's a great endorsement!

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #128
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,561
Quote:
Spy shots?

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #129
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Thanks guys! It looks like I will have to make a special "HélderOnAHonda" version, with red buttons, not black ones like everybody else is getting

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #130
chavo_dakar_bolivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
awesome tripmaster!

Quote:
Thanks guys! It looks like I will have to make a special "HélderOnAHonda" version, with red buttons, not black ones like everybody else is getting

HOws it going my friend!!?? I tried your RNS Tripmaster in Sardegna on one of the Team Honda Europe bikes, and I really liked it! Very simple to use, clear and big numbers no matter what the sunlight conditions.

I will be changing my ICOs to your Tripmaster on my own bikes....
Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #131
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Pizzolito will be taking part from Desafio del Litoral, a DakarSeries event, from July 22 to 29th.

He will ride last Dakar bike and team (Honda Racing Argentina); will he be ready for those roadbook training sessions?

He is riding bikes only one month ago after his Dakar crash (several broken bones).
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #132
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Great thread, and great contributions to all as usual!

Not much to add from a technological perspective (Scott, great news that they'll be testing on your stuff!), but a few things to add from an armchair quarterbacking one.

1) Leading is an entirely different game than being second. I opened some of the Amitie last year, and while it's not a race, the experience of being first tracks across sections adds a huge element of intensity to the experience.

It would be an interesting exercise to see who, of the current pilots, have won two days in a row, my suspicion is that the list is very, very short (marc and cyril).

Winning the first day can be done with strategy and pace. Winning the second requires navigation, no ifs ands or buts.

Discussion in the bivouac this year was that the winning pace is not as fast as a winning H&H pace in the US... but navigation adds an entirely new angle. Personally, I'm not sure there's anyone who is qualified to open the track at the front, that isn't contracted to Orange. This is not meant as any slight to Helder, whom I hold in the highest regard... but I think he will face a significant challenge to hold onto a lead from the front as he will need to to win.

2) I also believe that there are significant logistical concerns that represent a barrier for HRC.

As one example, KTM arrives at the race with beautiful printed/ bound booklets detailing each stages logistics, timing, maps, fuel load at each refuel, etc. Mohammed Balooshi had one that I got to study for a bit- there was a serious piece of work, mostly irrelevant to someone like me, but important to someone who wants to win.

Helder definitely gets the "doing the most with the least" award for the last few years. The question is whether he can do "the most with a level playing field". It's a different question.

3) To the question of what's in it for Honda, there are a few million spectators, many of whom will buy a bike in the next few years. Red at the front will be a commercial success, I believe.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #133
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
Kit parts designed for use on the standard CRF450X model have also been developed and will be supplied to a limited number of teams.
... so if i stop in at my local Honda dealer, do i need to quote a Part Number, of just get him to order the "kit" ?

I presume that any prospective CRF riders in the 2013 Dakar would be keen to atleast see the 'brochure' by now, as they would be getting close to wanting to order parts, from someone.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #134
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e View Post
... so if i stop in at my local Honda dealer, do i need to quote a Part Number, of just get him to order the "kit" ?

I presume that any prospective CRF riders in the 2013 Dakar would be keen to atleast see the 'brochure' by now, as they would be getting close to wanting to order parts, from someone.

I cannot imagine that they would be ready to offer the kits for this year's Dakar, probably the 2014 season instead. Consider that they just went to testing in Morocco so there may still be some refinements to the kit before everything is finalized. I would think for a kit that will carry the HRC label it will be fully worked out before it goes on the market.

Maybe we will see the HRC bikes raced in Egypt this October. Registration deadline is not until August 31.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #135
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 359
Dunno.... Did Honda ever sell a HRC kit? For the Dakar?
Remember that these people are used to pick their own race bikes and put them all (but one for their own museum) into a press.
I think there will be only one HRC team with HRC bikes. And all the other Honda bikes will be built by privateers with self-developed kits.