Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
I wouldn't use those bendy flexy thin brackets to hold MY battery in place hanging down on the frame, but sure it would work on someone else's just fine

Also that location just "looks" all wrong, move it from a nice hidden location to hang down like balls connected to a trailer hitch on a blelching obnoxiously loud diesel truck. Makes about the same sense to me......but that's me and my opinion which probably means very little anyway.

The lightweight battery makes the most sense.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 04:23 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I wouldn't use those bendy flexy thin brackets to hold MY battery in place hanging down on the frame, but sure it would work on someone else's just fine

They're no more bendy flexy than the thin wall aluminium tray
Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
They're no more bendy flexy than the thin wall aluminium tray
Agree, dealing with old big singles I found "bendy flexy" is better than rigid cracky.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
Agree, dealing with old big singles I found "bendy flexy" is better than rigid cracky.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
As previously stated, I don't care for that location. Longer battery cables? Right where the thing will catch all kinds of everything? Talk about keeping your battery posts clean? And, of course, my objections mentioned earlier.

But still . . . those adell clamps are loaded in tension. Tension doesn't cause bendy/flexy. The mount looks like it will work to me. It's just the rest of it that I don't think is a good idea.

Like I have said earlier, IF I changed the battery location I would probably move it to above/in front of the left cylinder. Close to the pitch axis. Forward weight bias. Left side to balance our bikes heavier right side. Easy to get to and maintain in a clean spot. Shorter cables! That all works IMO.

supershaft screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 05:13 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
It's all out "APPLICATION"

Is there a correct answer?... Depends on application and what ever that means to the individual...... If it's just about the way it looks, and assuming that means you want to get the batt out of view with the side covers removed, then I'm with 'AW'..... i.e. Have you considered getting a small Li battery and putting it under the seat or somewhere other???.. Unless you are specifically chasing a "box under the sump" look and to heck with serviceability, batteries don't like the extremes of heat, cold or vibration. By placing under the engine you've just introduced extra vibrations, exposure and concentrated heat. Just stuff for thought is all. Good luck.

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 08:46 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #22
Kunst OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
Those brackets look err, err , substantial. Surely you could attach that tray to the frame with some of those rubber coated loop brackets like BMWeuro has in his photo?
Lol! Yes they are a bit agricultural. I'm buying some gear from eurobmw, looks like a great solution to me.

Great feedback, and an interesting discussion. I respect all opinions whether I agree or not.

Re: vibration, it will be attached to the frame, not touching the gearbox, surely that won't affect it?

Re: lithium battery, maybe in SoCal, but I don't know if that would crank here in an Irish winter... Worth looking at though

Re: weight distribution, what of BMW panniers? Solo seats? Fairings? Different handlebar layouts. Surely these all affect pitch axis and CoG, and weren't compensated for by Beemer. Would a battery in front of the cylinder reduce cooling performance, and maybe affect aerodynamics?

Re: looking like a set of balls! Ok we're back to aesthetics, where a picture is worth a thousand words; this from untitled motorcycles:
Kunst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #23
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunst View Post

OK, that looks good. The only thing you need to check is if you can drain the oil without taking the battery tray off.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #24
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 985
I love the boxer and I love some of the little 'battles' we fans all get into over them. I personally like the look of a minimalist bike with a huge gas tank. And I have no clue what that would do to the CG or GQ or my IQ.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #25
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunst View Post
Re: vibration, it will be attached to the frame, not touching the gearbox, surely that won't affect it?
Great looking bike.

Regards my earlier vibration comment; A bike frame has to absorb a lot of vibration and the main source of that vibration is the engine. Engine is mounted to the frame so do the sums for yourself. Try carrying a screwed together component (e.g. a pen) in a pannier for a few days and see how quickly it gets unwound by the vibrations. Which is why I only carry electronics, cameras or laptops (obviously not the battery hey!) etc in a back pack, or shoulder satchel to isolate the vibrations rather than wreck stuff.

That said it's all about the application, and as yours limits you for space and options. you can only work with what you've got. I'm still thinking Li battery might be worth looking in to. Here is a link to an impressive video demonstrating Li durability. I'm not endorsing the brand, just the ridiculous performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKRq...eature=related If the cold is your concern perhaps you could insulate it and still be smaller than a regular battery.

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"

patanga screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 06:19 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #26
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That sounds real close to a 'if it isn't the fastest thing out there then it is junk' mentality. I remember a owner of a multi-brand dealership called my airhead junk (we knew each other). I said maybe so but so are all of your brands' last year's models. Why modify it? To make it work better. Nostalgia? The only bikes I know of being customized back then were choppers. Even bobbers started out bobbing for performance. A challenge? Making it work better is a challenge. Making it work better and look good at the same time is a challenge. Making it 'look' better with little regard for function? I don't call that much of a challenge. From looking around I would say it is all too easy! But to each their own and good luck! It just seems like my way of looking at it is getting rarer so I thought it was worth discussing. Not too many others are from what I read here.
Damn it are you starting to make sense or am I getting old ?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #27
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Love this thread, love the different opionions, especially how everybody think's they are right.

As far as mounting the battery (that was the original question, right?) I don't think you would need your hardware that you showed in the picture. I like the idea of using the 4 rubberized hangers and using them. Try it and then go from their. That is part of the fun... try something, see if it works, revisit and work on it until you figure it out.

Work it Bud, have fun... and I do like the bike...
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by patanga View Post
Great looking bike.

Regards my earlier vibration comment; A bike frame has to absorb a lot of vibration and the main source of that vibration is the engine. Engine is mounted to the frame so do the sums for yourself. Try carrying a screwed together component (e.g. a pen) in a pannier for a few days and see how quickly it gets unwound by the vibrations. Which is why I only carry electronics, cameras or laptops etc in a back pack, or shoulder satchel to isolate the vibrations rather than wreck stuff.

That said it's all about the application, and yours seems to limit you for space and options. I'm still thinking Li battery might be worth looking in to. Here is a link to an impressive video demonstrating Li durability. I'm not endorsing the brand, just the ridiculous performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKRq...eature=related If the cold is your concern perhaps you could insulate it and still be smaller than a regular battery.

I think this is the best solution - carry the battery in a backpack and just run a heavy duty connector to the batteries cables.
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 217
So, if we're talking about CG, if the fuel in the tank weighs in at 30 to 36 Lbs (gasoline weighs about 6 to 6.8 Lbs/gal depending on temp), does an airhead handle better on an empty tank or a full one? That's a huge difference in weight distribution. To be honest, I never thought about it before.
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcfish View Post
So, if we're talking about CG, if the fuel in the tank weighs in at 30 to 36 Lbs (gasoline weighs about 6 to 6.8 Lbs/gal depending on temp), does an airhead handle better on an empty tank or a full one? That's a huge difference in weight distribution. To be honest, I never thought about it before.
Less weight is always better. What weight there is is best kept as close to the pitch axis as possible. Honda engineers put their GP tanks beneath the engine. That moved the weight further from the pitch axis than is was to start with. They figured it out pretty quick and moved the tank back to where it was. Nowadays a lot of tanks store fuel right at the pitch axis and they use the area where tanks use to be for an airbox. Newer bikes have had a lot of the high weight lowered and a lot of the lower weight raised. It is not about low CG. It's about centralized CG. Low CG is for cars.

supershaft screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 01:42 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote