Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
You guys are getting away from the fun of building something that is yours, how cool something looks to you. Who care about CG our how big your butt is and how it makes your bike handle. Go build something of your own or go for a ride
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
You guys are getting away from the fun of building something that is yours, how cool something looks to you. Who care about CG our how big your butt is and how it makes your bike handle. Go build something of your own or go for a ride
No kidding...

I'm not crazy about that 'battery-under-the-bike' trick for several reasons but if someone wants to do it, why not? Aint my bike and once I've seen it, I probably won't have to see it again for a long time!

Modified bikes are kinda like the fine arts and phornography. We all kinda know each of those things when we see them but the difference between art and phornography can still be pretty foggy. The difference between a tasty Cafe/Moded bike and what might be called "an abomination" are similar but please don't forget the eye of the beholder!

I've been around here for long enough now that I can frequently predict what some of you will say during some discussions and because the reverse is also probably true, more and more I just read the threads and move on. It saves everyone a lot of time and probably a little angst along the way!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #33
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Weight distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcfish View Post
So, if we're talking about CG, if the fuel in the tank weighs in at 30 to 36 Lbs (gasoline weighs about 6 to 6.8 Lbs/gal depending on temp), does an airhead handle better on an empty tank or a full one? That's a huge difference in weight distribution. To be honest, I never thought about it before.
For those of us who have dropped a bike on the odd occasion;) Looking back it's only ever been at a near stand still and when the tank was full. Kinda says something regards handing and confirms 'SS's' comment about CoG & Moment of Weight distribution. Perfect world I suppose we'd all be running baffled HPN GS tanks and only filling them 1/3.

That said; the cafe in this thread isn't about weight distribution, or 'correct' anything, other than how the owner wants it to look. Do your own thing and suck it and see. One more basket case airhead back on the road... Well done & good luck.

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 06:35 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post
I think this is the best solution - carry the battery in a backpack and just run a heavy duty connector to the batteries cables.
Please don't give the already confused guy any ideas 'Biebs' ;) ....... While I wasn't actually suggesting a battery in the back pack, I have heard of some cafe 'artisans' doing exactly that with ultra small Li batteries in their seat strapped lunch bags. 'Sick' I know, but there's just no limits to where some folk will go;)

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
now i know why the bike i'm riding always out handles everything else

it's my cg ie my huge arse

and i thought i was just a better rider than everybody else.

just in fun.

fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #36
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Don't get me wrong. I am all for doing whatever you want to your own bike. I am hopefully just stopping someone from doing it for the wrong reasons. Because you just want to makes sense to me. Doing it to make your bike perform better doesn't. To me the whole point of a 'cafe' bike is to make it racier.

Who cares how it makes your bike handle? I do for one but I like to haul ass on my airheads. Now THAT'S a challenge! Building stuff just for looks? That's what modsters do. Modsters and bikers. Although I am a huge fan of certain scooter chics, I say NEIN DANKE to rest of those two crowds. Looks are all too easy IMO. Look around at who is doing it for looks. Doesn't that tell you something? Well, at least with the motorcycle riding part of my joke. Polishing numbs the mind. Making it WORK is a worthy challenge!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #37
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
So you Modsters with a large arse be careful on how you mod your bikes it might not be safe or politically correct
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Bikes? Modsters ride scooters. What bikes are safe or politically correct? The closest I can think of is a Honda Pathetic Coast but they still have just two wheels.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #39
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 212
No reason why a Cafe Bike can't be designed to handle as good, if not better than original.
Clip-ons and rearsets, in my experience,improve the rider's ability to control the bike... if set up properly.
Strip down the seat and fenders and it qualifies as a "Cafe". No need to be a basket case.
Slinging the battery underneath is certainly a better option than putting it under the rear seat hump as far as CG goes. Of course with the tiny little LI batteries now available, I'd be trying to put it under the tank by modifying the top cover or.....replace your diode board with a remote rectifier, cut the top of the front cover off, and mount the little 2 lb battery there. Talk about short cables.
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcfish View Post
No reason why a Cafe Bike can't be designed to handle as good, if not better than original.
Clip-ons and rearsets, in my experience,improve the rider's ability to control the bike... if set up properly.
Strip down the seat and fenders and it qualifies as a "Cafe". No need to be a basket case.
Slinging the battery underneath is certainly a better option than putting it under the rear seat hump as far as CG goes. Of course with the tiny little LI batteries now available, I'd be trying to put it under the tank by modifying the top cover or.....replace your diode board with a remote rectifier, cut the top of the front cover off, and mount the little 2 lb battery there. Talk about short cables.
Now we're talkin'! How about replacing the diode board with the battery. That seems like a good place for the weight?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Now we're talkin'! How about replacing the diode board with the battery. That seems like a good place for the weight?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
That or my idea of making a box on the left side of the engine in front of and above the cylinder is where I would move the battery is I did.

I am all for running the later valve covers too. The extra crash protection is worth the weight.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #43
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunst View Post
Looking at this photo, it appears the battery is closer to the tilt axis than the stock position.

But I certainly wouldn't put my battery down there, mainly because it's not a healthy place for it to live. And then there's the maintenance issue of draining the transmission.

I'm not a fan of the minimalist look of the rear end for these bikes. Just looks ugly to me - unfinished, incomplete, off balance visually.

On top of that, mounting the fender to the rear suspension with the tail light attached is a recipe for disaster. Wonder how long that's gonna last? It'd probably even look better attached higher and to the frame.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #44
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Snip!

On top of that, mounting the fender to the rear suspension with the tail light attached is a recipe for disaster. Wonder how long that's gonna last? It'd probably even look better attached higher and to the frame.
Yeah but if your only riding for the five minute trip to Starbucks, who cares?

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #45
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Looking at this photo, it appears the battery is closer to the tilt axis than the stock position.

But I certainly wouldn't put my battery down there, mainly because it's not a healthy place for it to live. And then there's the maintenance issue of draining the transmission.

I'm not a fan of the minimalist look of the rear end for these bikes. Just looks ugly to me - unfinished, incomplete, off balance visually.

No, it's farther away. The original position is probably real close to it. The axis, of course, includes the rider. That battery is about exactly where Honda lowered their weight to on their GP bikes and ran into severe not being able to get the bike turned problems. They figured it out and everybody has been designing bikes with mass centralization in mind versus low CG every since. That would be a great spot for the battery if the bike had a hack attached to it! More than likely if you then slid it over on the hack.