User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
RonJS OP
Best Judge money can buy

Oddometer: 61
Will they Chain me up in Alaska?

In a few weeks I’ll be leaving for my summer trip to Alaska. Although my chain has about 300 miles on it now, due to my roundabout route, I’m estimating it will have around 9,000 miles on it when I’ll be enjoying a Silver Gulch Fairbanks lager in Fox. The miles, combined with a spin on the Haul road, leads me to believe that a new chain might be a good idea before I head back to Chicagoland. (via Inuvik mebbe)

Right now I’m running a DID X-RING 525VM on my DL-1000 and am seeking suggestions where I can get it, or something similar, replaced. After Fox, I thought I would head down and spend a few days with my friends at the Homer Brewing Co. I was hoping that there might be a place somewhere on route, with a couple of day’s notice, which might have a chain and replace it on my bike while I wait?

The last time I rode to Alaska, it was on a bike with a belt drive. While nice for cruzing, it wasn’t suited to take me places I really wanted to go…

Thanks!

Ron

BJCP C0490
RonJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,614
At 9k mi your chain s/b good for another 10k. If you just want to change it though there are plenty of places that could, including local zook shops.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Just make sure to lube it and adjust it properly and it should be good for many more miles after that
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Last time I went looking for a chain in Anchorage, I had a heckuva time trying to find something, finally ended up doing the mail order thing. Parts support in Alaska is pretty spotty, the parts departments stock lots of ATV stuff but not much bike stuff. So, don't assume that you can walk into any Zook dealer and score a chain if needed.
On the plus side, if you clean and lube your present chain I see no reason why it shouldn't make it here and back. Unless you let us take you to some off the beaten path places you aren't going to run into roads any less paved than the last time you were here, just in different spots. If you were really worried you might have one drop shipped to your buds in Homer.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
legion
Wait Til Friday

Hah! Out with it, 5. You were trying to find a chain for a '72 Penton or some other high demand chain, huh. Not a Penton? Maico? Puch? Vespa?

You gotta watch 5 some, Ron. A snapshot of his garage would be a Triumph, an Aprillia and a Buell. Don't know what else but none of the stuff us commoners ride. The Aprillia is the one he uses for tossing down the road.

Remember, if you didn't change your sprocket(s) when you swapped the chain you just might need a fresh one as 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
So, don't assume that you can walk into any Zook dealer and score a chain if needed.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
RIDE COLD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Chain

Get a hold of Barb at Alalska Leather in Anchorage. She will have it waiting for you. You could swap it out and keep the old one for a throw down, while it is still worth something.
RIDE COLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Hah! Out with it, 5. You were trying to find a chain for a '72 Penton or some other high demand chain, huh. Not a Penton? Maico? Puch? Vespa?
Honda?
A common 530 type chain?
Oh sure, everyone was willing to order one for me, or I could get the one they had at one of the local shops that wasn't an o-ring or even a heavy duty chain, but I came up dry. And sprockets? The Honda shop told me they don't stock sprockets for anything, don't want it sitting on the shelf you see, and my experience with the Suzuki dealer in the past has been even more dreadful
. And when I wanted a master link one time......nobody had one. Bought a #50 at Lowes because that was the only place that had anything close.
Such has been my luck finding a chain in Anchorage . Packing one along sounds like a good idea to me! Of course, now that I've said that, we'll find Alaska awash in chains of all sizes-he may be in luck if I'm not looking for a chain at the time, then there should be plenty.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
You gotta watch 5 some, Ron. A snapshot of his garage would be a Triumph, an Aprillia and a Buell. Don't know what else but none of the stuff us commoners ride. The Aprillia is the one he uses for tossing down the road.
Legion is one to talk about my garage, you should see his garage majal! Take a look at some of the common ordinary stuff residing there.....

This is one he and mrs. Legion take for ice cream on a sunny day.

His weekend car, the grocery getter.

He takes this one to the office.

When his dog wants to go for a ride, they take the Indian hack. Sometimes the dog drives, he's really a smart dog.

This one will make him mad at me, it's supposed to be a secret. He doesn't like to advertise his public service work as a reserve officer with the local PD, but he mostly does it so he can take the bike home.

OK, fun over, thread hijack completed. We return you to your regularlry scheduled question after this message....

Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #9
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
OK, fun over, thread hijack completed. We return you to your regularlry scheduled question after this message....
Yeah Ron, and do like a virgin would. Or not.