Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #151
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I just ordered the CPR filter kit, SAS block off plates, a filter skin, and the 'Snap Out' system for the glove box!! I'm super stoked to get this stuff installed and up and running. I'm a bit intimidated about the install but I think I can get through it. I have to say that Chris at CPR is great. He gave me a lot of pointers for the install and that definitely boosted my confidence level. Thanks Chris!

I'm looking forward to no longer having to remove 12 screws and an airbox lid to get to the filter. Not to mention dropping 6-8 lbs once the airbox and SAS system is removed! I'm already running a Shorai lithium battery so I've shaved a few lbs there too. This bikes is going to be one lean mean machine!
Wow. We converted the Griz! You are going to love it.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #152
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
I just ordered the CPR filter kit, SAS block off plates, a filter skin, and the 'Snap Out' system for the glove box!! I'm super stoked to get this stuff installed and up and running. I'm a bit intimidated about the install but I think I can get through it. I have to say that Chris at CPR is great. He gave me a lot of pointers for the install and that definitely boosted my confidence level. Thanks Chris!

I'm looking forward to no longer having to remove 12 screws and an airbox lid to get to the filter. Not to mention dropping 6-8 lbs once the airbox and SAS system is removed! I'm already running a Shorai lithium battery so I've shaved a few lbs there too. This bikes is going to be one lean mean machine!
Just a note that the instructions for removing the SAS on the CPR website are way overblown; with an 8mm end wrench and some patience, or better yet a kid with small hands, the front plate can be installed without draining the coolant, etc.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #153
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
What kind of dimensions are you looking for? Anything we can help you with?
External dimension are what Im looking for.

How big of a box would be needed to ship it?

A different solution for the air filter / air box in on the wish list for my new 990R, tired of fighting the stock box have been doing it for years on my 950.

Even if you are breaking my budget with all the "extras" that snap out bracket really seems to be a must also.

Dog house would be nice also but have a contact in the US and will have some stuff shipped there and get combined shipping to Sweden and would like to fit all the parts in a USPS flat rate box.

Could probably make my own but if it would fit I would be lazy and just buy one.

PS dimension on the filter would also be great.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #154
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
External dimension are what Im looking for.

How big of a box would be needed to ship it?

A different solution for the air filter / air box in on the wish list for my new 990R, tired of fighting the stock box have been doing it for years on my 950.

Even if you are breaking my budget with all the "extras" that snap out bracket really seems to be a must also.

Dog house would be nice also but have a contact in the US and will have some stuff shipped there and get combined shipping to Sweden and would like to fit all the parts in a USPS flat rate box.

Could probably make my own but if it would fit I would be lazy and just buy one.

PS dimension on the filter would also be great.

/Johan
Tomorrow we will get it all together and see how small we can get it all. If you have a rivet gun we can get the Dog House even smaller and the whole thing will be about the size of a shoe box. We can put the Snap Out inside the filter and ship it where you tell us. Easy stuff. PM us with a US address and we will send you a quote.

Our "trio" of products have been ticking off a few wives. I think that's how we came up with the "Dog House" name...

Chris
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #155
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
Tomorrow we will get it all together and see how small we can get it all. If you have a rivet gun we can get the Dog House even smaller and the whole thing will be about the size of a shoe box. We can put the Snap Out inside the filter and ship it where you tell us. Easy stuff. PM us with a US address and we will send you a quote.

Our "trio" of products have been ticking off a few wives. I think that's how we came up with the "Dog House" name...

Chris

Would love to fit all the stuff in a box just 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"

But that would include a piston and some bearings, and a few other bits and pieces also.

And will probably find some more stuff if there is any room left.

Have a handcranked rivetgun myself but also access so I can borrow an airpowered so would not be any problem riviting it myself.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #156
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Wow. We converted the Griz! You are going to love it.
Totally! I can't wait to install everything and enjoy the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Just a note that the instructions for removing the SAS on the CPR website are way overblown; with an 8mm end wrench and some patience, or better yet a kid with small hands, the front plate can be installed without draining the coolant, etc.

SA
Thanks. Good tip.

I can get the tanks, windscreen, and front side panels off just fine, making the engine and airbox fully exposed. Once I get to that point I'll need a good road map as to what things I need to remove for the SAS system removal and canister removal. I don't want to remove something that I shouldn't! Most write ups I have found on ADVRider and the 950/990 HOW skip over pointing out the EXACT hoses and other components that need to be removed, and where they exist on the bike.

A good step by step on airbox removal and reinstallation of the throttle bodies would help as well.

I'm sure I'll have a question or two come installation time! Thanks guys!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #157
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

You'll want to pull the hose off the top of the oil reservoir to get a ltitle more working room for the front cylinder SAS. I used a 8mm end wrench turning the bolts just about 1/64,000th of a turn with each bite, and had a magnet handy just under the bolts as they got loose. Do it after the airbox is off and before you reinstall the throttle bodies.

SA

PS-Oh, and make sure the filter is on or the throttle bodies are stuffed well with rags before drilling the glovebox for the snap on and making lots of little plastic shavings all over the place. DAMHIK. A shop vac is handy if you forget....not that I would know....
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #158
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
You'll want to pull the hose off the top of the oil reservoir to get a ltitle more working room for the front cylinder SAS. I used a 8mm end wrench turning the bolts just about 1/64,000th of a turn with each bite, and had a magnet handy just under the bolts as they got loose. Do it after the airbox is off and before you reinstall the throttle bodies.

SA

PS-Oh, and make sure the filter is on or the throttle bodies are stuffed well with rags before drilling the glovebox for the snap on and making lots of little plastic shavings all over the place. DAMHIK. A shop vac is handy if you forget....not that I would know....
More great pointers! Thanks! I've been told I could just loosen the radiator mount points and push the radiator to the side a bit in order to gain a bit more access to the front SAS plate.

If I pull the hose off the top of the oil reservoir I'm assuming I'd get some oil coming out? If so I might opt for the loosening of the radiator technique.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #159
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Nope! one spring clip and slide er off. No mess. Not sure moving the radiator would have helped, but could be wrong on that. It'll be obvious once you get in there.

I had to move the second fan out of the way as well, and you'll need the big gray FI plug out of the way, but you're gonna do that to get the throttle bodies off anyway.

One thing there was no mention of was the little block attached to the snorkel on the right with a bunch of wires coming in and out; you'll need to find a home for it as it's the brains of the immobilizer.

Also, this is a great time to reroute the throttle cables through the right side of the frame behind the steering head; this will give you all the cable (and more!) you'll ever need for bar risers, dampers, etc.

SA

...geeze. occurs to me that I could have taken a pic or two....
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #160
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I'm doing the Rottweiler intake install and have a question. I'm following the 990 HOW canisterectomy SAS-ectomy walkthrough. In there he removes the canister pump from up in front of the filter, right behind the steering tube.

When I remove the charcoal canister and plumbing do I leave the pump there and plugged in? Or can I remove and unplug the pump completely? He speaks as if I would need to install a resistor if I remove the canister pump. If I uncheck the SAI check box in Tune ECU does that take care of it or would I still need to make a resistor for the canister pump?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #161
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
I removed the canister pump and did not add a resistor. I did turn the SAI off with TuneECU too. No errors and bike runs great.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #162
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I removed the canister pump and did not add a resistor. I did turn the SAI off with TuneECU too. No errors and bike runs great.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #163
The Griz
North Forest Rider

So, today I tackled the following:
  • SAS pump and plumbing removal
  • Canister, canister valve, and plumbing removal
  • Installed Rottweiler intake system
  • Installed Rottweiler Pre Filter Skin
  • Installed Rottweiler SAS block off plates
  • Installed Rottweiler Snap Out setup for 'glove box'
  • Re-Maped ECU for mods

All I can say is WOW! After I buttoned everything up and did the remap (Rottweiler-provided map called "ADV_990-R_2011_USA_Rott_Intake_-_Akr_Ex_Tune_ECU__See_Map_Infos_.hex") the bike fired up and ran perfectly. The first thing I noticed is that the snatchy throttle response at lower RPM's is gone. Also a HUGE improvement in power smoothness. It feels like the bike is running the way it wanted to when it was born, before KTM had to slap all the emissions reg stuff on it that chokes it up. No more snap crackle pop on decel. I can absolutely feel the power gain. SERIOUS power gain. Response is great. The intake sound is also amazing. Not loud. Just snorty like a pissed off rottweiler. I can hear the engine breathing! Power gains and smoothness aside, I am very excited that I no longer have to loosen a bunch of screws on to get the airbox lid off. Two Dzus fasteners and the filter is off. Great! I also like the space and visibility in the engine cavity now.

Now on to the Snap Out setup. Half turn of a Dzus fastener and bang!.. the glove box is off!!! No more removing 12 screws. I'm actually looking forward to servicing the air filter next time!

With the combination of the intake system and the Snap Out I can have the air filter removed and in my hands in 1 minute.

It took me 5 hours to remove the junk in the trunk and install everything listed above. Not bad actually.

Anyway, thought I'd share! I highly recommend these additions to the 990.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #164
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Had to share some pics.

Rottweiler installed with 40 cell skin:

Snap Out plate installed:

Dzus fastener installed for Snap Out:
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #165
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
So, today I tackled the following:
  • SAS pump and plumbing removal
  • Canister, canister valve, and plumbing removal
  • Installed Rottweiler intake system
  • Installed Rottweiler Pre Filter Skin
  • Installed Rottweiler SAS block off plates
  • Installed Rottweiler Snap Out setup for 'glove box'
  • Re-Maped ECU for mods

All I can say is WOW! After I buttoned everything up and did the remap (Rottweiler-provided map called "ADV_990-R_2011_USA_Rott_Intake_-_Akr_Ex_Tune_ECU__See_Map_Infos_.hex") the bike fired up and ran perfectly. The first thing I noticed is that the snatchy throttle response at lower RPM's is gone. Also a HUGE improvement in power smoothness. It feels like the bike is running the way it wanted to when it was born, before KTM had to slap all the emissions reg stuff on it that chokes it up. No more snap crackle pop on decel. I can absolutely feel the power gain. SERIOUS power gain. Response is great. The intake sound is also amazing. Not loud. Just snorty like a pissed off rottweiler. I can hear the engine breathing! Power gains and smoothness aside, I am very excited that I no longer have to loosen a bunch of screws on to get the airbox lid off. Two Dzus fasteners and the filter is off. Great! I also like the space and visibility in the engine cavity now.

Now on to the Snap Out setup. Half turn of a Dzus fastener and bang!.. the glove box is off!!! No more removing 12 screws. I'm actually looking forward to servicing the air filter next time!

With the combination of the intake system and the Snap Out I can have the air filter removed and in my hands in 1 minute.

It took me 5 hours to remove the junk in the trunk and install everything listed above. Not bad actually.

Anyway, thought I'd share! I highly recommend these additions to the 990.
We have been trying to tell ya. Glad you got it done and did not have any issues. You will love the pre filter too. I have never even cleaned my main filter yet, and I ride in as dusty conditions here in West Texas as there are anywhere.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote