lets go play!!
boat.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #122
they
Draining

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf14 View Post
I think most people that put this filter system are looking for power. Well I no that cool air is power. So running the crank case breather into the air box to me is crazy. Your bike is trying to breath in 200 degree air. No power there!

As for water crossing. NO WAY! I live in Costa Rica and to get to point A to point B I cross rivers. 21,000 miles and no water in my engine. The crank case is pushing air out. Not suck air in.

Dropping it in a deep river? Hell your already screwed. And yes water is going to go in. But the only difference is the other way may take about 3 seconds longer. If it's not air tight then water will get in.
A check valve in the crank case vent has a couple of other functions. In an engine with crank case volume that varies with crank shaft rotation like ours, every stroke pushes air out of the vent. If it can't get back in, the average crank case pressure decreases, resulting in lower windage losses and less likely hood of oil leaking. Also a check valve greatly reduces pumping losses associated with pushing air in and out of the vent every stroke = more power. A suggestion. If you are going to use a separate filter for the vent hose, make a loop in the hose so that the filter hangs down. This way any water that might be blasted into the filter by high speed water crossing, rain, etc.,will run back out instead of running down the hose into the engine.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #123
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
quick question guys...

do you have to do a re-map if you instal one of these?

i have a new set of carbon Leo Vince cans and want to instal one of these intakes. what would happen if i just did the instal, the 15 min idle reset, and then road the bike? would it be ok?

i don't have a tune ECU cable and am frankly a little worried i would just make a mess of things. i also don't want to kill my MPG and have heard that the akra map and others can do that.

thanks for the input,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #124
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
quick question guys...

do you have to do a re-map if you instal one of these?

i have a new set of carbon Leo Vince cans and want to instal one of these intakes. what would happen if i just did the instal, the 15 min idle reset, and then road the bike? would it be ok?

i don't have a tune ECU cable and am frankly a little worried i would just make a mess of things. i also don't want to kill my MPG and have heard that the akra map and others can do that.

thanks for the input,

laramie
I have the Leo Vince Carbon cans too. When installed them I kept the stock airbox intact and kept using the stock paper air filter. I did the mythic 15 minute idle reset and didn't feel any difference. Bike runs great. I now run a Uni foam prefilter and the new Uni foam panel filter. These combined with the Leo Vince Carbon exhaust and the bike runs awesome. However, now to your question. The CPR system completely removes the airbox, and the foam on the CPR filter flows considerably better than the stock paper filter. CPR uses filter foam that has larger cells. This is how it flows more air. The combination of higher flowing exhausts, no airbox, and the higher flowing CPR will definitely require a remap. The 15 minute idle reset will not compensate enough. You will be running extremely lean (too much air flow, not enough fuel). So much so that it may harm the bike if you don't remap properly...as in it will run way too hot... and these bikes already run warm.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #125
simon crewe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
CPR Filter Set Up

Hi Guys,

I am looking at going down the foam filter route on my 07 990adv.

Here in the UK we can easily source the 'ITG' foam filters that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Can anybody tell me the correct height of filter that I will need, I have seen both the JC30-65 and JC30-100 mentioned? In other words do I need the 65mm or 100mm high filter? I am planning to use the flat top filter, not the sausage type.

Many thanks.
simon crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #126
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon crewe View Post
Hi Guys,

Here in the UK we can easily source the 'ITG' foam filters that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Can anybody tell me the correct height of filter that I will need, I have seen both the JC30-65 and JC30-100 mentioned? In other words do I need the 65mm or 100mm high filter? I am planning to use the flat top filter, not the sausage type.

Many thanks.
the jc30-80 is similair to the cpr filter
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1...duct_info.html
Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #127
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
My understanding is on a 990 adv, the ITG 85 is the one that fits best with no interference or foam compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon crewe View Post
Hi Guys,

Many thanks.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #128
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
1 Year update

It's been a little over a year & 10K miles with the Rottweiler Intake and I'm very happy with the modification. I consistently get 42-44 mpg while riding on the road. Off road I'm right around 40 mpg. This summer, while riding the Continental Divide, I squeaked out 51 mpg for one section. I debated using a pre filter for the Continental Divide but decided to just run the filter as I was riding solo and didn't expect to see a lot of dust. When I got home, I inspected the filter and while it was pretty dirty on the outside the inside was clean. This is much better than my experience with the stock filter which let dust into the intake. The baseplate is holding up well too with no signs of stress.

Support from Chris at CPR has been outstanding If anyone has been setting on the fence, stop waiting and start enjoying the benefits of this upgrade.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #129
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
It's been a little over a year & 10K miles with the Rottweiler Intake and I'm very happy with the modification. I consistently get 42-44 mpg while riding on the road. Off road I'm right around 40 mpg. This summer, while riding the Continental Divide, I squeaked out 51 mpg for one section. I debated using a pre filter for the Continental Divide but decided to just run the filter as I was riding solo and didn't expect to see a lot of dust. When I got home, I inspected the filter and while it was pretty dirty on the outside the inside was clean. This is much better than my experience with the stock filter which let dust into the intake. The baseplate is holding up well too with no signs of stress.

Support from Chris at CPR has been outstanding If anyone has been setting on the fence, stop waiting and start enjoying the benefits of this upgrade.
any way you could hook up tune ecu and save your map, then share it with us?

this is the only thing i'm waiting on (other than time) to do my install. hell, i'd even send you my cable to do the download if you were willing.

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #130
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
any way you could hook up tune ecu and save your map, then share it with us?

this is the only thing i'm waiting on (other than time) to do my install. hell, i'd even send you my cable to do the download if you were willing.

thanks,

laramie
It's available from Moto-Treks or Rottweiler Fabrication - ADV 990 2011 In - Ex - Tune ECU

enjoy

Moto-Treks
Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #131
Ryno041
Do it! You won't...

Oddometer: 52
New Rottweiler products to accompany air filter

Has anybody seen the new 'snap out' they are calling it?! It lets you get to your air filter without tools and in about 10 seconds! Look in the vendor thread under Rottweilers new products for CO KTM rally
2007 WR450F
1987 TT350
Ryno041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #132
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
the jc30-80 is similair to the cpr filter
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1...duct_info.html
It is not just similar, it is the very same.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #133
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Nels, from 2 Wheel Dyno works, put the bike on the dyne and after a few runs said the fuel map was really very good for the setup. He decided to leave it as is and "smooth" out the ignition advance. After working on that he needed to add a bit more fuel based on ignition adjustments. Then he said, I got about 10 more HP with that change, take it for a test ride and let me know what you think.
Quote:
It's available from Moto-Treks or Rottweiler Fabrication - ADV 990 2011 In - Ex - Tune ECU

enjoy
in your first post though you mention some changes to the MAP. just downloading from moto-traks or from Rottweiler won't have those changes. that's what i was interested in.

thanks,

laramie

Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #134
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
It is not just similar, it is the very same.
We have explained this one a hundred times. The only thing they share is the size of the base of the filter because it was too expensive to have our own exclusive mold made. We have a different foam density specked out for dirt environments. I can promise you we have authority on this one.
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #135
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
in your first post though you mention some changes to the MAP. just downloading from moto-traks or from Rottweiler won't have those changes. that's what i was interested in.

thanks,

laramie
My map started life as a 2011 R Akraprovic map from KTM. Both F maps and I maps have been modified for the Rottweiler filter. If you do a compare in TuneECU you will see what changed. There aren't many values that are modified as the original R Akro map was really pretty good.

My main concern was running the bike with a map that was to lean. I was not after that extra 1/2 HP as the 990 has enough for me

So, both maps do have all the modifications that I'm currently running. With 10K miles on the setup I'm happy. Sorry for any confusion

Moto-Treks