Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
gbmaz OP
Power Newb

Oddometer: 395
Dual XGPS251 Cradle for iPod Touch

Anybody using one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3ADWMNXT7FS32

Obviously it is a huge step down from a real GPS unit, but so far I have not felt that I really need one. This would be a relatively inexpensive way to see if it would be useful. It is designed to work with a variety of mapping aps so it could be used for both road and topo map apps.

I read through all the Amazon reviews and was surprised to find no mention on ADV (what with all the KLR riders....).

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
i know this is an older topic.... but... found it on search.

i got one off ebay a couple of months ago. i got it after my nuvi went missing. my 17yo was driving my jeep and "misplaced" it. so. i found a "new" one on ebay for like $40 shipped. i downloaded NavFree USA. you load "regions" by state. I have GA, FL, AL loaded. it plans routes. tracks. will load "some" POI's. its a decent "basic" street level navigation piece.

it WILL supply gps data to any program that uses gps. google maps also works. while on wifi, you can go to a city and zoom in... and then slide the screen all over the area. that map will be saved in cache form on the ipod... and you can use the map offline. you can save the map in satelite mode as well.

the unit has a GPS / BATTERY mode switch on back. battery mode will supply power only to the ipod.. so you can pop it out of the car/bike and charge or run your ipod on it if its low. gps mode will not charge the ipod UNLESS the gps is docked in its mount.

the mount is decent. the suction cup has not fallen off the windshield of my work truck... and um... it gets driven in... a uh... "lively" manner. i wouldnt trust it on a bike obviously. not sure how it would work on a bike.. maybe put the dock/gps/ipod in a clear top pelican case or something??

otherwise, it works pretty well.

you can use whatever software you want to. navtec.... whatever you can get off of itunes. NavFree has a music "control panel" that will play the music on your ipod as well. i've plugged it in to the stereo. jam to music and get audible route updates on your trip.
Attached Images

b1pig screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 12:45 AM
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote