ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 137 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #871
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer
 
FloridaSteve's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Oddometer: 2,082
Saturn V engine from the Apollo missions.




Shuttle Engine cutaway
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #872
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer
 
T-Stoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Manila, Philippines
Oddometer: 659
A Walters rocket engine off a Messerschmitt Me 163B.

T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #873
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake
 
Puddleglum's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 390
Porsche 917 - 16-cylinder



"Towards the end of the 60's Porsche wanted to participate in one of the most popular race series in the USA - the Can-Am series. To be competitive with the other participants who were running V8 engines with more than 750 hp, the 16-cylinder boxer engine was developed. With an output of almost 900 hp it would have been capable of winning races. However, Porsche was simultaneously developing a 12-cylinder turbo engine which, while weighing less, was, with 1000 hp, even more powerful. Therefore this engine was never used in a race."













__________________
"Bad planning is the mother of adventure." - Richard Grant
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #874
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 15,328
Wow...
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #875
KTMRyder
throttle jockey
 
KTMRyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: KC
Oddometer: 3,817
OK, I have read about this engine on the net.
they showed up at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa to race their creation.


All the way from New Zealand, the Synergy Power V8.
if those heads look familiar they are ZX12R Kawasaki on a purpose built block.
2400cc, dry sumped, fuel injected on alcohol. horsepower you ask ? the version they ran had about 350 hp, they detuned it for the shorter track here.
I was told the one they run on the big tracks is 425 hp!!

It is not USAC legal but the Chili Bowl is basically run what you brung.

Both cars qualified for the A main Saturday night easily.
they kind of missed the chassis setup, and finished 11th and 20th, horsepower was definitely not the issue.








They had a camera crew following their every move all weekend.
they were doing a program for New Zealand television and had cameras on both cars at several angles, they even had one aimed at the rear suspension.

Here is the bit they posted on youtube the other day, looks like its going to be a good program.




This is last year in Australia with American Davey Ray driving.
just listen to that sound !!!

__________________
IBA # 38521
KTMRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #876
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake
 
Puddleglum's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 390
Motorcycle engine-based V8 engines have been becoming more and more popular over the last few years. Other "manufacturers" apart from the one you mentioned are Powertec http://www.powertecengineering.com/ and Hartley http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm. There may be others. There is also talk of a V8 based on two Ducati V4's although that concept would be much harder to bring to fruition IMHO.
__________________
"Bad planning is the mother of adventure." - Richard Grant

Puddleglum screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 07:34 PM
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #877
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
Saturn V engine from the Apollo missions.
I hear say these will be for sale soon. one owner, only used a few times.

__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #878
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.
 
xlcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I hear say these will be for sale soon. one owner, only used a few times.

Free. But you pay shipping and handling.

I'm not falling for that scam.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #879
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer
 
pacman1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
This one is slightly augmented, but I've always been a fan of the Yamaha 3.0L V6 in the 1st and 2nd Gen Taurus SHO. That bundle of snakes on top was just cool looking. Too bad it was saddled with such a mediocre automobile. Ms Pacman had a '95. We had to work the suspension all around, but eventually we got the beast tightened up. Pretty fun family barge.





The wife's looked pretty much like this one, only without the faux cowl induction hood.
__________________
_______________________
Wayne
Honda Blackbird
Burleson, Texas


pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #880
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer
 
pacman1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
Here's another lovely little V6 stuffed into a little family sedan. Alfa Romeo 164L 3.0l V6.




__________________
_______________________
Wayne
Honda Blackbird
Burleson, Texas


pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #881
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
Free. But you pay shipping and handling.

I'm not falling for that scam.
think what you could do with those turbochargers!
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #882
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 21,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
OK, I have read about this engine on the net.
they showed up at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa to race their creation.


All the way from New Zealand, the Synergy Power V8.
if those heads look familiar they are ZX12R Kawasaki on a purpose built block.
2400cc, dry sumped, fuel injected on alcohol. horsepower you ask ? the version they ran had about 350 hp, they detuned it for the shorter track here.
I was told the one they run on the big tracks is 425 hp!!

It is not USAC legal but the Chili Bowl is basically run what you brung.

Both cars qualified for the A main Saturday night easily.
they kind of missed the chassis setup, and finished 11th and 20th, horsepower was definitely not the issue.








They had a camera crew following their every move all weekend.
they were doing a program for New Zealand television and had cameras on both cars at several angles, they even had one aimed at the rear suspension.

Here is the bit they posted on youtube the other day, looks like its going to be a good program.







This is last year in Australia with American Davey Ray driving.
just listen to that sound !!!






Too bad. First vid has techno music instead of racing, second vid had no sound at all.
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #883
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin


Too bad. First vid has techno music instead of racing, second vid had no sound at all.
huh? i had plenty of sound on the second video. sound of an small v8 engine screaming into big pipes :)
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #884
Denis
Studly Adventurer
 
Denis's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 649
The turbo fuel pump on the Saturn V makes 55,000HP and it's about the size of a 55 gallon drum. That's an amazing amount of power in a small package.

http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/saturn_...F-1_Engine.pdf

Denis
__________________
Enjoy every sandwich!
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #885
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 21,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
huh? i had plenty of sound on the second video. sound of an small v8 engine screaming into big pipes :)

Watched it from Utube and still no sound. Weird.

I did see another of them testing on a dyno, sounded great!
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014