User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
bay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
dellorto carbs for r100/7

hi all,im thinking of a set of dellortos for my air head,does anyone know what size i need or if mikunis would be better.my r100/7 runs 32mm bings which have not been to good now for a few years.i prefer to run pod filters as i have moved the battery so do the other carbs respond well to pods.. many thanks in advance.
bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
DeutschMark
Full Tilt Boogie

Oddometer: 261
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831066

In my opinion, the pod filters are just for looks. The factory airbox flows plenty of air.
DeutschMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,979
Quality and look wise I think your much better off with Dellortos. I've a pair on their way from Moorespeed, what I did forget to take into account was the inlet stubs. I've had a pair of late R80 heads taken out to 1000cc, I didn't give it any thought but the R90 dellorto inlet stubs are the wrong thread for the 32mm inlet stubbs, fortunately Moorespeed make a pair to suit.

Hopefully someone who knows will chime in about fitting an appropriate inlet stubbs to your heads. It's worth taking into account as theres nothing worse than having a set of shiny new carbs and having no way to fit them.
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
hi all,im thinking of a set of dellortos for my air head,does anyone know what size i need or if mikunis would be better.my r100/7 runs 32mm bings which have not been to good now for a few years.i prefer to run pod filters as i have moved the battery so do the other carbs respond well to pods.. many thanks in advance.
Not too many people have small port /7's. 38mm Dellorto's and Mikuni's work real well on small ports. So do 36mm's. I like the the looks of Dellorto's too but quality? I think Mikuni's are better machined. Most would say that Mikuni's are better carbs. Just barely if at all IMO. Most would say Dellorto's are harder to tune but not IMO. They just have more options most of which don't do me any good. I run Dellorto's mostly so that the airbox snorkels fit perfectly. I have seen dirt getting by MANY an airbox snorkel setup for Mikuni's! Pods? For looks? I don't care about looks nearly as much as performance. In fact, I think what performs best LOOKS best. In my experience on any engine even close to stock, pods hurt performance too much. It wasn't until I carbed and cammed AND then drastically raised the compression ratio and ported my heads that anything but my stock later model square airbox setup did not kill low end performance (too many negatives I know but . . . .). After I raised the CR and did the port job? Just velocity stacks work best! It all depends on the setup!

I think rigidly mounted carbs were old fashioned back in '74. I use rubber mounted Dellorto's. Less heat transfer and vibration make for better carbing. But then again the airbox snorkels help hold the carb on and steady as well. On my setup I have what's left of a square airbox steadying my curved velocity stacks.

Some people run even smaller Dell's or Mikuni's for better low end performance. Why I don't know. 38mm Dell's and Mikuni's have WAY more low end response than 32mm Bings AND you get more top end with larger carbs. Why not have your cake and eat it too?

supershaft screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 09:12 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
74Cafe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I like the the looks of Dellorto's too but quality?
Tell me more about this. I just took delivery of a pair of Dell 38's to upgrade the cafe bike and was heartbroken to see the poor machining. Supplier checked with the factory and they've acknowledged the flaw and are working on a resolution. What other areas of the Dell'Orto carbs should I take a closer look at?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,037
Mikuni's are machined better from what I have noticed.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Cafe View Post
Tell me more about this. I just took delivery of a pair of Dell 38's to upgrade the cafe bike and was heartbroken to see the poor machining. Supplier checked with the factory and they've acknowledged the flaw and are working on a resolution. What other areas of the Dell'Orto carbs should I take a closer look at?

Wow!!

That's appalling.

If I saw that in a carburettor I'd be thinking it was a cheap knock-off from China. But if the factory have acknowledged the fault it must be true. I can't understand how that could get past quality control.