Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #31
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
If I have 300 mile range, I use it.

Four bikes have had it, two of them I currently own.
R1150GS, Guzzi 1200 Sport, TE 630 w/ Safari tank, and the Stelvio.
My KLR is set up for 9 gallons..... I'll never use it. Hopefully I'll never NEED it.

I find that at my age my bladder and gas tank find pushing 200 miles plenty.
Even with an Airhawk my butt reminds me a change of scenery would be welcome.

I didn't mean to imply some people won't use it, as 20 Valves mentioned, few areas
demand that kind of range. For those times dump the two liter Pepsi and get out the
duct tape.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #32
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
My gawd,pluric discovered GIRLS. Progress,at least from the last page. Keep tryin there,M&M guy.
Roarin, we appreciate you leaving us the good ones. (If you like I can ask if she has a brother)

Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
If I have 300 mile range, I use it..
Exactly. I'm not a fan of hanging out in gas stations more often than I have to, especially since my bike is my only source of transportation for a good portion of the year. Having to fill up every couple days vs. once a week is a big deal to me. Strangely enough, it would be less important if I only used my bike for "Adventurating" .

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Roarin, we appreciate you leaving us the good ones. (If you like I can ask if she has a brother)

My gawd pluric, you oldener 'n dirt coot,that's darn near pedophilia, unless you were dating her older brother. Anyway, the one thing about a GSA I like is that FAT gas tank. More than once I've made gas stations while running on fumes.Last year I just made a station after dumping in the tank over a gallon spare fuel I carried(back country Idaho) . Gas is GOOOD!
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #35
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I give. I give. You guys run those tankers all you want. Just please carry a syphon
hose in case you run into me on the side of the road.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #36
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Hay pluric, ol'buddy,lottsa fun. Anyway, you ever check mpg on the Tenere on extended lower gear rides? I haven't yet(hate to say it on this site,but I been trail riding bicycles a LOT this year, Tenere gets fired up a lot more in Aug,Sept & Oct).
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
If possible, I'd go ride them all and buy the one that sings to you.
^^ This.

You can look at stats, specs, capacities, data sheets, and crunch numbers all day and all night long. Some people do that...heck, I do that. But I do it to narrow the field of motorcycles, cars, or whatever it is that I'm looking for.

I don't buy based on stats and specs, because I believe that riding is more than stats and specs. The machine has to feel right to me...it has to speak to me. Using an automotive analogy, that is precisely why I will never own a Toyota Camry...the specs and stats are all there, and it's been a best-seller for years, but they are a total and complete snore for me to drive.

For me, the Stelvio is a blast...it speaks to me. Something about how all the mechanical bits and pieces come together make it more than the sum of its parts. It's part muscle-car, part R1200GS, part Harley, all mixed up in the right amounts (for me) and wrapped up neatly by the folks at the Guzzi factory.

Some people buy based on stats and specs. I can't do that. If the OP is a stats & specs guy, then buy the one that best fits your desired specs, ride it, and be happy. If you're a "feel" guy, then test rides are a must. Buy the one that feels the best to you, ride it, and be happy.

By the way, I briefly considered the S10, but eliminated it early on. I've ridden parallel twins before, and they were fine. But I wanted an Italian V-twin, so it came down to a Ducati or the Guzzi for me. Ducati was too pricey and had too many electronic gizmos for my liking. I'm very happy with my Stelvio.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #38
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Hay pluric, ol'buddy,lottsa fun. Anyway, you ever check mpg on the Tenere on extended lower gear rides? I haven't yet(hate to say it on this site,but I been trail riding bicycles a LOT this year, Tenere gets fired up a lot more in Aug,Sept & Oct).
Sorry, no. I had a long Southern Utah ride a couple months ago that would have been a good
indicator of what the first three gears would average. I seldom check that stuff. I figure if there
are still bars on the gas indicator keep going.

I just read that ride report on the Stelvio. I normally shy away from what seem kinda exotic
bikes. Coming from a BMW owner it sure sounded like a nice motorcycle. Hmmmmm always
room for a more open mind.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #39
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Yea,,,, I know that you can simply bungie a gallon or two on the back and I have done that for derned near every long trip I've done on my FJR and my DL. I've done it enough that I'm tired of doing it. I want the luxury of "choosing" when I want to buy fuel and not having to refuel 50-75 miles after my last refuel simply because I'm worried it won't make the 100-125miles to the next station or because I really don't know exactly how far the next station really is {rural gas stations tend to close down alot and make their own hours}.

These are "Adventure Touring" bikes after all with the main point being "Adventure". As such, they should have a fuel range that will allow the rider not to have to worry about rotopax containers, gallon jugs, MSR bottles or gatoraid bottle stuffed here and there. These are not sport bikes {hell, my Buell 1125CR,,,,, a naked sportbike had a range roughly equal to the Explorer}, motoX bikes or cruisers built to doddle between bars along the main drag at Daytona. These bikes are supposed to be built with the sorta riding in mind that requires long rides between stops. This isn't rocket science and yes, the manufacturers absolutely can build a bike that will give a reliable 250-300 miles range but they choose not to because a bunch of posers will bitch about it being "top heavy" if they even hear it might have more than a 5gal. tank. I think Guzzi, a few others and many times, the aftermarket has proven that you can build a tank that holds an additional gallon or three of fuel without it being "top heavy.

My FJR has a 6.6gal tank and to be totally honest, I don't notice a derned bit of difference when it filled vs when it has a gallon used, or two gallons used or maybe even three gallons used. My FJR has roughly a 250 mile range when kept out of the triple digits and I find myself pretty much using it and many times, wishing for more. My DL has a fuel window in the 225-250 mile range and once again, I find myself using every bit of it and more. I don't buy either bike soley to commute to back and forth to work or to be a bar lizard and I expect more from bikes built and billed espressly as an Adv tourer. Additionally, if you have a tank that holds 6 gals or so and you find that that additional gallon or so just makes all the difference in it being too top heavy,,,, don't fill it all the way up. That's easy to do, alot easier than to constantly rely on rotopaxs, gallon gas cans or gatoraid bottles.

Not only that but if the factory would devote a 10th of the time they spent R&Ding stupid aestetics, single sided swing arms, power control buttons and pretty under seat exhausts they could easily build a fuel tank that would hold the extra gallon or two of fuel low enough to not be a contributing factor to a high Cg.

But,,,, that's not the point here. I like the Guzzi for reasons other than it's great range and there are other reasons I do not to like it or have reservations about. On the other hand, there are many reasons to like the Explorer despite it's crappy fuel range and the Tenere,,,, it's sorta in the middle with decent range, great dealer network and reliability and I'm reading,,,, a great gear ratio spread. All have good points, all have bad points and I was mostly looking for opinions from folks that have ridden each that can comment on other aspects other than what the spec sheets read out.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #40
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
^^ This.

You can look at stats, specs, capacities, data sheets, and crunch numbers all day and all night long. Some people do that...heck, I do that. But I do it to narrow the field of motorcycles, cars, or whatever it is that I'm looking for.

I don't buy based on stats and specs, because I believe that riding is more than stats and specs. The machine has to feel right to me...it has to speak to me. Using an automotive analogy, that is precisely why I will never own a Toyota Camry...the specs and stats are all there, and it's been a best-seller for years, but they are a total and complete snore for me to drive.

For me, the Stelvio is a blast...it speaks to me. Something about how all the mechanical bits and pieces come together make it more than the sum of its parts. It's part muscle-car, part R1200GS, part Harley, all mixed up in the right amounts (for me) and wrapped up neatly by the folks at the Guzzi factory.

Some people buy based on stats and specs. I can't do that. If the OP is a stats & specs guy, then buy the one that best fits your desired specs, ride it, and be happy. If you're a "feel" guy, then test rides are a must. Buy the one that feels the best to you, ride it, and be happy.

By the way, I briefly considered the S10, but eliminated it early on. I've ridden parallel twins before, and they were fine. But I wanted an Italian V-twin, so it came down to a Ducati or the Guzzi for me. Ducati was too pricey and had too many electronic gizmos for my liking. I'm very happy with my Stelvio.

I have to admit I'm more of a Function over Form type guy and I I don't get all misty eyed about bike nor do I need some thing that "Moves, the soul". After all,,,,, I ride a hum-drum FJR, DL650 and XR650L all of which are as boring as can be in each of their particular classes. But, it's often hard to read a spec. list and get a feeling for how something handles on the tarmac, the dirt,,,,, ease of manuverability and other areas. Also hard to read a spec list and get a handle on reliability and cost of ownership once bought.

That's why I'm trying to get some feedback from the people that own each particular bike. I don't however want to buy a bike based on a spec. list and find out in 6 days, 6 weeks or even 6 months that I'm unhappy. Maybe not unhappy per se but that "woulda been happier" with another choice. I did exactly that with my DL650. Bought it, hated it and promply hit a deer so the decision to keep it was a done deal because I hate losing money. I have finally modded the suspension and other parts of the bike into something I now like but I had to spend time and money fiddling and there are still things I don't like. I don't want to "fiddle" with my next choice. I want the Adv. Touring equal to my FJR as it's honestly been my favorite bike of all the bikes I've had. I know there are several other Sport Touring bikes that are probably better but for the money, I'm more than happy with it's performance and service. If I only rode tarmac I wouldn't even be looking for another bike but my riding style has changed and a 130hp, 700lb bike on 17s just doesn't cut it too well.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #41
hecpilot
Dreaming of my trip...

Oddometer: 47
I'm an FJR to Explorer guy. It was the test drive. Most Triumph dealers will be happy to let you test one. Go try one and see if it works for you.

For me it was the engine, handling and ergos. I did compromise on fuel/range. For me, every bike has some sort of compromise.

The triple is awesome. The cruise great. Overall I am very satisfied with my T1200.
hecpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #42
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Hey Jud, when I met you a couple of years ago (you put tires on my DL650 before I rode it to Newfoundland), you were all about the KTM Adventure series! Is maximum trail-ability no longer the priority? Because the truth is only the hardcore bikes are going to climb over boulders if that's your thing. Personally, the Stelvio NTX looks great to me, Motorcycle Consumer News just gave it a glowing review, and overall newer Guzzis have a good reputation. But you probably know more about that than I do. The S10 just seems so much bigger, even though it's not all that much heavier than the Guzzi. My take on the Tiger Explorer is that it's a great streetbike. Of course the obvious question is if you're considering these three, why aren't you considering the bike they're all trying to compete against? The last time I rode a boxer it didn't do anything for me, but that was back in the 1150 days. I still figure it must be so popular for a reason.

Steve
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #43
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecat View Post
Hey Jud, when I met you a couple of years ago (you put tires on my DL650 before I rode it to Newfoundland), you were all about the KTM Adventure series! Is maximum trail-ability no longer the priority? Because the truth is only the hardcore bikes are going to climb over boulders if that's your thing. Personally, the Stelvio NTX looks great to me, Motorcycle Consumer News just gave it a glowing review, and overall newer Guzzis have a good reputation. But you probably know more about that than I do. The S10 just seems so much bigger, even though it's not all that much heavier than the Guzzi. My take on the Tiger Explorer is that it's a great streetbike. Of course the obvious question is if you're considering these three, why aren't you considering the bike they're all trying to compete against? The last time I rode a boxer it didn't do anything for me, but that was back in the 1150 days. I still figure it must be so popular for a reason.

Steve
Being about the only game in town for 20 years helped out. Seem to be some very
happy ship jumpers out there.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Yamaha and other MFGs should sell an 'extended range' tank as a $800 acc. They would sell the crap out of them to just about every owner. It would keep the stats down for the mag reviews and get the range people want while pulling more cash from their pockets. Take HD's lead and offer up some bolt on goodies.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #45
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Yamaha and other MFGs should sell an 'extended range' tank as a $800 acc. They would sell the crap out of them to just about every owner.
Whoa now. I'd be willing to wager a bet that 'just about every owner' is very happy with the 200-250 mile range that comes stock. I'm all for an aftermarket jumbo gas tank (IMS? Safari?) for those of us out of the ordinary, but we needn't exaggerate the fact of the matter here.

I think the OEM BMW Adv tank is a $1200 mod (if paying retail), but how many regular GS's are you seeing doing the conversion?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote