Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Whoa now. I'd be willing to wager a bet that 'just about every owner' is very happy with the 200-250 mile range that comes stock. I'm all for an aftermarket jumbo gas tank (IMS? Safari?) for those of us out of the ordinary, but we needn't exaggerate the fact of the matter here.

I think the OEM BMW Adv tank is a $1200 mod (if paying retail), but how many regular GS's are you seeing doing the conversion?
Agree
I guess in large countries like yours needed such large tanks but in Europe with the OEM is enough.
When I had the GSA I almost never filled its big thank because when I ride with other people they dont have the same autonomy as me so is no point to have all this extra weight.
The only time It was useful was in Morocco but only in a couple of journeys so in that case you can take a temporary thank.
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #47
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Here is my take on the bikes currently being sold.....

BMW 1200GSA: over all and amazing bike. The bike has great range, can eat miles, decent at concealing its weight, ok off road, looks fantastic, and has over all easy services. Recent quality issues would scare me away from BMW. in my opinion the BMW is 85/15 bike.

Triumph T1200: fantastic looking bike. In my opinion it is geared to on road with its rims not being spoked. I think triumph will come out with an xc version. Has a fantastic electronics list with abs/tc and more importantly electronic cruise control. Short range is a concern, motor is fantastic, and triumph tends to have awesome gear boxes and reliability. In my opinion its a 95/5 type of bike.

Yamaha Super Tenere: in my opinion and experience. This bike blends the best of all the other bikes and makes it into probably the most reliable of the bunch. Its between the explore and GSA for range, the engine is so good that its often times considered bad. Its smooth and has plenty of power. The abs/tc combo is amazing the again...people dont give the abs a chance as it is truly amazing. The bike hides its weight very well...it feels as nimble as the multistrada i had before. I would say this bike is a 65/35 bikes.

I purchased the Super Tenere because in my opinion it blended all of the bikes so well. Its not as off road as the KTM, it goes further than the Explorer on gas, not as physically big as the GSA, and is proving to be more reliable than most of them.

Try them all, but for me the S10 worked the best.

Joe
Geology Rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #48
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I can get a brand new one out the door for around 15K$ so it's probably the least expensive to buy and possibly the least expensive to own. I have heard that the Tenere has a fairly wide ratio tranny and will idle at walking speeds which is important for rough, unmaintained roads yet still has a tall enough top gear that it'll easily cruise at highway speeds. Matter of fact, close ratio tranny gearing is a pet peeve of mine on these adv and dual sport type bikes. This especially important since the final gearing is so hard to change with a shaft drive bike. Speaking of shafties,,,, I love the fact that Yamaha isn't a slave to stylish single sided swing arms. They are using a shaftdrive that has proven itself reliable since what,,, the early 80s or so! Fuel range isn't as much as I want but hey, better than the Explorer. Only drawbacks I see, weight is high but even at that, many say the weight is hidden well with a low Cg. I wouldn't know because Yamaha dealers don't seem to allow test rides for the most part. Let's see,,,,,, you want me to hand over 15K$ or so without a test ride? Nope, ain't gonna happen and Yamaha really needs to address this issue in my opinion. Don't like the fact that I don't think you can turn off the ABS.
Judd, remember me??

Ive put my first 1000 miles on my Tenere and im loving it. Just FYI, i got my Tenere with all three bags, crash bars, and skid plate for $15300 out the door. I even test rode it before i bought it. Call Bloke, he'll take care of you.

So far the Tenere is everything i liked about my old GS without having to deal with BMW dealerships and none of the weird quirks that the GS had. On my last tank i got 220 miles and when i filled up i still had 1.1 gallons left. If i had a complaint there would be two... im not impressed with the Yamaha bags and the fuel gauge shows empty way before its empty (I did 20 miles after it started flashing and still had 1.1 gallons in the tanks)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #49
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by freecat View Post
Hey Jud, when I met you a couple of years ago (you put tires on my DL650 before I rode it to Newfoundland), you were all about the KTM Adventure series! Is maximum trail-ability no longer the priority? Because the truth is only the hardcore bikes are going to climb over boulders if that's your thing. Personally, the Stelvio NTX looks great to me, Motorcycle Consumer News just gave it a glowing review, and overall newer Guzzis have a good reputation. But you probably know more about that than I do. The S10 just seems so much bigger, even though it's not all that much heavier than the Guzzi. My take on the Tiger Explorer is that it's a great streetbike. Of course the obvious question is if you're considering these three, why aren't you considering the bike they're all trying to compete against? The last time I rode a boxer it didn't do anything for me, but that was back in the 1150 days. I still figure it must be so popular for a reason.

Steve
Oh yea, I still like the KTM Adventure and if I were buying a bike to replace my DL that would probably be it but after spending awhile modding the suspension on the DL, it's makes for a decent one up adv bike. Not a KTM for sure but hey,,,, it's already ugly so what's plopping it over in the dirt gonna do to it! This bike will be a replacement for my FJR as a two up tourer with better dirt road abilities than my FJR.

The reason I'm shying away from the BMW is complexity, questionable reliability {at least in my eyes and the eyes of many others} and cost, both intitial and cost of ownership.

The Guzzi is an odd bird in my book {in the same way the BMW or Ducati} but man,,,, I just don't see many bad reliability reports from it. While the lack of dealer network has me bugged, the ease of maintenance, simplicity, good ride reports that speak highly of it's off tarmac performance and the biggie,,,,, it's range has it firmly in the top three. Like I said, each one of these three bikes have several great things going for them. Each has some negatives but to be honest, each would not be a bad choice and I need to figure out which is best for me.

BTW,,,, how'ed that trip go? Hope you had as much fun as the wife and I had up there!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #50
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Yamaha and other MFGs should sell an 'extended range' tank as a $800 acc. They would sell the crap out of them to just about every owner. It would keep the stats down for the mag reviews and get the range people want while pulling more cash from their pockets. Take HD's lead and offer up some bolt on goodies.

That's a great idea that would work well with the Explorer too,,,,, more so actually. Even if they made it a 1K$ option, especially if it could be financed in with the initial price.

That's what buggs me about the NTX, I wish I could simply buy a stripper NTX. I like the tank, the wheels and the basic bike but I could do without the OEM luggage, aux lights and abs.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #51
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Whoa now. I'd be willing to wager a bet that 'just about every owner' is very happy with the 200-250 mile range that comes stock. I'm all for an aftermarket jumbo gas tank (IMS? Safari?) for those of us out of the ordinary, but we needn't exaggerate the fact of the matter here.
Sorry, it must have been all the people bitching about range and the photos of rotopax that I was seeing.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #52
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I think the OEM BMW Adv tank is a $1200 mod (if paying retail), but how many regular GS's are you seeing doing the conversion?
Well,,,, I'm one that would be happier with more range. Apparently there are others like me that don't think another gallon or two of gas {what, 6-12lbs} is going to turn the bike into a ill handling top heavy turd. Especially if some actual engineering went into the tank design to keep the CG as low as possible,,,,,,,,, unlike Suzuki's DL.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #53
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
Judd, remember me??

Ive put my first 1000 miles on my Tenere and im loving it. Just FYI, i got my Tenere with all three bags, crash bars, and skid plate for $15300 out the door. I even test rode it before i bought it. Call Bloke, he'll take care of you.

So far the Tenere is everything i liked about my old GS without having to deal with BMW dealerships and none of the weird quirks that the GS had. On my last tank i got 220 miles and when i filled up i still had 1.1 gallons left. If i had a complaint there would be two... im not impressed with the Yamaha bags and the fuel gauge shows empty way before its empty (I did 20 miles after it started flashing and still had 1.1 gallons in the tanks)
Yep,,,, the Tenere is looking good. I priced out a new base model at a nearby dealership and it was priced out very attractively {roughly something like 13.5-14K$OTD if I remember right. I like pelican type cases and that's what I would want anyway so that's why I'm dismayed at not being able to buy a NTX without bags.

It's nice to hear of the range you are getting as I know your not a very conservative rider although you mighta been taking it a bit easy due to break-in. If you did 220 miles and had another gallon to go that puts you at around 260miles which while not quite my dream range,,,, it's derned close. And enough to where I wouldn't have had to carry any fuel for me during that last TLH trip. I bet once you add a good exhaust and maybe a bit slightly better intake breathing {freer filter, intake noise removal type mods ect>} and thoughly breaking in, I'm betting it will pick up a couple three more mpg and have an even better range. Niice thing about the FJR is that when I know the range is gonna be close, I can dial back the throttle and get close to 50mpg when I want to {which isn't very often!}.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #54
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
I'm betting it will pick up a couple three more mpg and have an even better range. Niice thing about the FJR is that when I know the range is gonna be close, I can dial back the throttle and get close to 50mpg when I want to {which isn't very often!}.
This is one place the S10 has similar characteristics. It will get me 4.5L / 100Km (52 US MPG) if I am being careful. That is corrected and giving a theoretical range of 500Km till dry. So if you may get stuck it can be done. On the other hand if you are riding the thing at 200Km/h (125mph) then don't expect anymore than 280Km (180Miles). I did a combined loop of dirt, track, twisties and highway once and still managed 5L/100 (47 US MPG). I was on my own and being careful there as well. It is bog stock at the moment in the motor department. I had a similar issue with range as where I live you can find 450Km between 91RON (87AKI) fuel out in the arid areas. So the GSA was looking good on that front. However I can carry an extra pack on the occasions I need it quite easily. It is not that often.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #55
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
And enough to where I wouldn't have had to carry any fuel for me during that last TLH trip.
Im gonna have to get with ya at a bike night sometime. Im planning to do the TLH next summer.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #56
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Anybody checked the Tenere's gas consumption (mpg where I live) on extended lower gear,dirt rides? I'm gettin ready to ride dirt mountain roads in eastern Idaho(USA) where you can go a LONG ways without seeing a gas station & I like to explore about every 2 & 1 track rut I run across running off dirt roads. Just looking at my supply of 42 oz Coke bottles & my old red 1 gallon gas can. Tired of hauling that stuff around. I'd pay $1000 for a bigger Tenere gas tank ,no questions asked. Wonder how much weight they could save by dumping all these electronic gizmos on the Tenere & then adding fuel capacity? Just wondereds, all.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #57
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
If I have 300 mile range, I use it.
I've owned bikes that barely went over 100 miles, and now my Wee regularly goes 250-280, and my DR650 with IMS tank does about the same. Once you're used to it, you get spoiled.

Back on topic, I'm also thinking of one of these three bikes to replace the Wee, and even though there's a Guzzi dealer in my town, the S10 is sounding better every day. I must live in the only county in California with Guzzi/Ducati, Vespa, and KTM/Husky dealers but no Harley, BMW or Japanese Big 4. But I suspect the S10 won't need to see a dealer much.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #58
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
Im gonna have to get with ya at a bike night sometime. Im planning to do the TLH next summer.
Don't really participate in the bike night thing too much but I would be more than happy to meet up one Sunday {pretty much my only day off}, hit the foresty service roads and yap about the Trans Lab at Rider's Hill.

The main points of advice,,,,,, make sure you have rain gear, make sure you pack the electrics {a heated vest or jacket packs small} and most of all,,,,,,, bring a bug net for your head at least {but a full jacket would be better]. I have never seen biting bugs as bad as those black flies and I lived with a couple miles of the Ogeechee and know all about skeeters, deer flies, and yellow flies. Seriously, they had Sharon in tears damned near. Wayyyyyy worse than the skeeters in Alaska. At least the skeeters pay heed to 100% Deet {heads up, no 100% deet in Canada}. Black flies pay it no mind what-so--eaver. Hell, I think it smells like bacon or something to them.

Oh yea,,,, tent, prolly gonna need one for sure as motels and B&Bs are in real short supply during that time of year and are often booked out for a couple weeks at a time. Bring a knobby for the front at least. Pop it on at Manic V or Blanc Sablan depending if you are going clockwise or anti-clockwise. Finally, and here is a biggie,,,,,, make damned sure you have reservations for your ferries at least a couple weeks out. Yes, that will require some planning and you might waste a day or so waiting because you beat your reservations but that'll be better than not being able to get on the ferry for a week or having to sit standby better because it's booked. Thankfully we got warned by a couple that were back tracking the entire TLH back because they didn't make reservations and absolutly had time window to keep. Sucked bad for them but I'm gratefull they gave me warning as it was close even being over a week out!
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #59
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Ride them all and you should be able to sort it out in quick order. I rode the Super Tener at a demo day when I was looking for a new steed. I was not impressed. The motor can't help the bike get out of its own way. It had great balance though.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #60
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
On the other hand if you are riding the thing at 200Km/h (125mph) then don't expect anymore than 280Km (180Miles).
At 200km/h the bast gets thirsty, the current consuption on mine shows then 15,X l / 100km. That will give you about 150km range or 45 minutes of fun if you find a place where you can keep that speed for that duration
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote