Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #76
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
F250pal you are living the dream! Unfortunately I am tied to the San Francisco area for another 15 years or so but I try to get a ride in over there in your neighborhood once a month or so. Nice to ride out there pretty much unrestricted though civilization has started to creep in so It is not like it was 25 years ago. Is that the pit out at Yerington in the picture? Last time I was there it was filling up with water. I was running north up Churchill Canyon a couple of months ago and noticed some single track but did not have time to explore it. Is there a sizeable network of single track out there worth exploring? We usually camp out at Johnson Lane but would consider camping at Weed Heights or Hooten Well or the Weeks SX track if there is enough to keep us occupied for 3 days or so.
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #77
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2 View Post
F250pal you are living the dream! Unfortunately I am tied to the San Francisco area for another 15 years or so but I try to get a ride in over there in your neighborhood once a month or so. Nice to ride out there pretty much unrestricted though civilization has started to creep in so It is not like it was 25 years ago. Is that the pit out at Yerington in the picture? Last time I was there it was filling up with water. I was running north up Churchill Canyon a couple of months ago and noticed some single track but did not have time to explore it. Is there a sizeable network of single track out there worth exploring? We usually camp out at Johnson Lane but would consider camping at Weed Heights or Hooten Well or the Weeks SX track if there is enough to keep us occupied for 3 days or so.

Johnson Lane is the best place to stage/camp if you want to ride single track for days on end. Everything from easy to double black diamond.
F250Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #78
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Death Valley 2014

Been planning a trip back to Death Valley for a few months. We finally decided on April 10-13, 2014. We left Stagecoach, NV Thursday April 10 after work. My bike had been packed for a couple days.

I left my house at 4:00PM and headed over to my pals house. The ride starts with an asphalt transfer section to Yerington, NV, where we are to meet up with one more rider, at 5:00 pm, then hit the dirt. Due to the late afternoon start, we're going to get some night riding in. We say goodbye to Yerington and start stirring up dust.

Aldrich Grade

Borealis Mine

Jct @ SR359

Fish Lake Valley

We headed south on East Walker RD past Flying M Ranch, over Aldrich Grade, east on Bodie/Lucky Boy Pass RD to Road 026 past Borealis Mine, Powell Canyon, cross over NV SR359, Whisky Flat, Road 200, Cow Camp, Road 179, to NV SR360. It's been dark for a couple hours now. Slab transfer to US 6, to NV SR264, to Fish Lake Valley. We stop for the night at the hot springs to camp/soak/sleep/eat. Somewhere near 11:30 pm I think.

Friday April 11.

Pack up camp and head to Dyer, NV for some fuel. More slab down SR264 to SR266, over Lida Summit to Wiley RD. More dirt. We stop in Gold Point, NV to talk to a local. Turns out he is the Sheriff, Fire Marshall, Justice of the Peace, etc. We tell him we are trying to get to Beatty, NV in the dirt. He provides us with clear, simple verbal instructions. We pass Hard Luck Mine/Castle, cross SR267 @ Bonnie Claire and have a stretch of 30 miles or so of BITD whoops. Really fun. Through the corner of DVNP, pass Bullfrog and Rhyolite, SR374 to Beatty for lunch and gas. Why is my tire going flat? Because of the nail in it. Change tube, eat, ride. Back down SR374. Entering Death Valley through Titus Canyon. Effing really super senic. Best part of the trip for me. Exit Titus, NW slab transfer to Ubehebe Crater, look inside, visit with a Canadian BMW gang, Racetrack Valley Road, The Racetrack, Teakettle Jct., Lippencott Pass, Saline Valley Road, Saline Valley Hot Springs. Set up, eat, bathe, soak, eat, sleep. Day two done. 450.3 miles since home.

Fish Lake Valley

Packing up

Dyer, NV

Gold Point

Load Shift. SE of Bonnie Claire

Camp chair/bike stand

Titus Canyon

Saturday morning.

Wake up in the desert. Things are good. No hurry. Eat. Soak. Enjoy the warmth. At 8:00 am it's about 85 degrees F. This is why I came. Our pal on the 950 realizes his subframe is broken. He decides to ride pavement home. We were planning on one more night camping, but he's out. Pack up, head out. Saline Valley Road to Death Valley Road, CA SR168 to Big Pine for fuel. We run into a herd of dirt bikes at the gas station. 950 guy heads north on 395 for home. Two XRL's transfer on SR168 to SR266/ NV SR264, back through Dyer, NV, US 6, SR 360 again. We find a shortcut through some sand dunes back to Road 179. Going to camp when the wind dies down, been blowing all day. Never stops. Back through Yerington, back home. More than 700 miles in a little more than 48 hours. Get home at 10:30PM Saturday night. Lots of fun. Lots of miles.

It is an oasis.

Bayy burrow. Camp host said it was a day old.

Big Pine

Marietta, NV

Trip odometer says I had fun.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #79
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,704
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #80
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
The best bike in the best terrain. It don't get no better
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #81
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
The best bike in the best terrain. It don't get no better
Yeah. Riding motorcycles doesn't suck.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #82
coffman300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
woke up in saline valley with two jack asses in my camp then two donkeys walked past.
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #83
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Awesome post.I am going to have to bring my xrr over there for a ride.Nevada reminds me of Baja in the USA.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote