User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
mortalsphere OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
New Super Tenere... Time to tinker

So I am picking up my brand new 2014 Tenere ES from the dealership next Saturday. Apparently these things are unicorns because it took me 5 dealerships and eventually shipping it from Washington state to the East Coast to get it. At any rate, I know that I will have to add some things to it. I will be moving to Germany with her in 2 months, and some of you have already given me great advice about Europe (THANK YOU), but I am now searching for opinions on aftermarket schtuff:

-Panniers: I am heavily leaning towards Pelican/Caribou cases or the Magadan Mk2 softies, but what are your opinions on panniers? I will not be able to ride offroad in Germany (not allowed), but when I get the chance to go elsewhere (and back in the US) I will ride offroad.

-Protection: Skid plates, crash bars, etc... Are there any out there for the 2014?

-Extra lighting: Is it necessary/a good idea?

-Metal light grate: Simply an aesthetic?

-Tank bags: Any tried and true favorites?

-GPS and mounts: Same as above

-Fuel cells/bottles and mounting options

-Waterproof gloves (esp. for winter)

-Winter gear

I know that's a lot, but I wasn't sure I was getting the bike until this past week. I've done a lot of reading on here already , so I'd just like some opinions as reinforcement since I haven't used the gear yet.

Thank you for any and all help, in advance!
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Metal light grate, NO. Fill that space with Aux. lighting!
radbrad511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Congradulations on your new ride!

You do know you're going to many varying opinions on the farkles.... here's mine!

I've got Givi Trekker Outback Pannier in black. They're perfect for me; light weight, waterproof, sturdy, function, added the inner bags and they are the nicest I've ever seen, optional lid net is handy for storing maps.

Hepco-Becker Skid plate and crash bars. H-B stuff is very robust, well made, functional(yep.... test them to make sure! ) and reasonably priced.

I've got Clearwater Darla lights mounted to the engine crash bars. I prefer the mounting their because it provides a large frontal triangle of light and makes you more visible to the eye of oncoming drivers. The Clearwaters are very nice but wish I had gone with PIAA 530 LEDs. The PIAA's point the LED rearward into a reflector that focuses the light down the road. All other LEDs, that I'm aware of, simple blast out the light in the forward direction, not focused. That's OK for being seen but not so good for seeing.

I've added a Madstad bracket and 20 inch screen along with the OEM wind deflectors. This combo creates a calm air pock for me and greatly reduces fatigue when I go long. I'm a fan of the Madstad products and have used them on several bike, great product, great customer service, and Mark is a top notch guy and easy to work with.

The stock seat drove me nuts... or I should say drove my nuts forward into the tank. Replaced it early on with a Sargent Cycle seat, another one of my favorite products that I've used on numerous bikes.

The area under the head light was left open. Hell, I can't see it from the seat and don't understand why others are bother by the opening.

Paul
Old 06-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,296
I hate to say this but the BMW winter gloves are pretty good and if you get them a bit oversize you can put some liners in them.

..... See, there are some good things about BMW's ....

BTW, I assume you are in the military ? Can you not ride on the military training areas ?
I did when I was there but it was in the last millennium !!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
mortalsphere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Congradulations on your new ride!

You do know you're going to many varying opinions on the farkles.... here's mine!

I've got Givi Trekker Outback Pannier in black. They're perfect for me; light weight, waterproof, sturdy, function, added the inner bags and they are the nicest I've ever seen, optional lid net is handy for storing maps.

Hepco-Becker Skid plate and crash bars. H-B stuff is very robust, well made, functional(yep.... test them to make sure! ) and reasonably priced.

I've got Clearwater Darla lights mounted to the engine crash bars. I prefer the mounting their because it provides a large frontal triangle of light and makes you more visible to the eye of oncoming drivers. The Clearwaters are very nice but wish I had gone with PIAA 530 LEDs. The PIAA's point the LED rearward into a reflector that focuses the light down the road. All other LEDs, that I'm aware of, simple blast out the light in the forward direction, not focused. That's OK for being seen but not so good for seeing.

I've added a Madstad bracket and 20 inch screen along with the OEM wind deflectors. This combo creates a calm air pock for me and greatly reduces fatigue when I go long. I'm a fan of the Madstad products and have used them on several bike, great product, great customer service, and Mark is a top notch guy and easy to work with.

The stock seat drove me nuts... or I should say drove my nuts forward into the tank. Replaced it early on with a Sargent Cycle seat, another one of my favorite products that I've used on numerous bikes.

The area under the head light was left open. Hell, I can't see it from the seat and don't understand why others are bother by the opening.

Paul
Thanks! I am so excited to finally ride her. Those all sound like good options, and I appreciate the input. I'll look into the Givvi Trekkers, Clearwater and PIAA lights, and the Sargent seat... Add them to the list of options, you know.

I actually meant the Touratech light grate that goes over the headlights to protect them. Is that worth it, or just a rugged-looking aesthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I hate to say this but the BMW winter gloves are pretty good and if you get them a bit oversize you can put some liners in them.

..... See, there are some good things about BMW's ....

BTW, I assume you are in the military ? Can you not ride on the military training areas ?
I did when I was there but it was in the last millennium !!
I almost got the 1200 GSA, but it was (obviously) my 2nd choice, behind the Super Tenere. I've seen a few people mention those BMW gloves. I'll look into those... What about Held? Are those good cold and wet weather gloves?

I am military... And I can ride around the training areas, which I will do. I just meant outside the gate. I'm one of those guys that likes to minimize his time around work when he's off the clock... But training areas really are good places to ride.
-Lao Tzu
Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
JonDaddy82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Most of the stuff from the previous generation fits, minus windshields and bag brackets for the most part. My bike appears as if 90% of the AltRider catalog has thrown up all over it, good gear. I put a Rigid 6" LED in the empty space below the headlight. Mine also has a BMC filter, PCV, and full Arrow exhaust with really woke her up.
JonDaddy82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 977
Spidi NK3 gloves are ideal for a cold wet European winter.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
mortalsphere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Most of the stuff from the previous generation fits, minus windshields and bag brackets for the most part. My bike appears as if 90% of the AltRider catalog has thrown up all over it, good gear. I put a Rigid 6" LED in the empty space below the headlight. Mine also has a BMC filter, PCV, and full Arrow exhaust with really woke her up.

What exactly is a PCV, and what about the BMC (I'm assuming air/oil) filter and full Arrow exhaust woke her up?
-Lao Tzu
Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Protection First then do some reading here:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...?topic=10252.0

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote