User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
bogfro OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
R1200GS or Vstrom 1000 -- opinions?

My budget will allow my next bike to either be a used BMW R1200GS or a new 2014 Vstrom 1000. I'd like the opinions of anybody that has owned either or both of these bikes. If I get the BMW, it would have to be used, so I'm wondering how many miles they are good for until they start needing major maintenance. Here's some things to consider:

- I want to be able to ride mostly street with occasional dirt and gravel.
- There are no BMW dealers anywhere close to where I live.
- I want something reliable.
- I've heard that the 2014 Vstroms can have the same "clutch chatter" and "idle hammer" issues that the previous generation had.
- I've heard that BMW's are generally costly to maintain.

So, what are the pros and cons of these bikes? Thanks in advance!
bogfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!

Oddometer: 539
The fact that you do not have a BMW dealer near you would be a major factor to me. They are boutique machines, and many normal shops wont work on them. Parts are spendy, but generally seem to last.

I have a 1st gen DL1000, and I like it a lot. It's easy to work on, parts/upgrades are cheaper, and readily available. I'm sure the new version is quite the same. As for the issues with it you mentioned, I haven't even had too much trouble with any of those issues on my 1st gen DL, so I don't know how the newer version would be worse...HTH!!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
bubbaj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I can't help you with the pros and cons because I have neither. I have a 14 glee strom and love it though. If i was looking at the two bikes you are looking at it would come down to money. I can't afford the BMW, but if I could afford either of them, i would get the BMW. It is more expensive to buy and maintain but from what I read and hear, its an awesome bike. I havent watch comparison videos are anything or really even looked into the new vstrom so its really just subjective.

Why is the S10 not on the list? That bike is supposed to be a tank and was on the top of my list before I got the 650(and im glad I did).

Just wanted to chime in, I know it doesnt help any though.

EDIT - Just reread your post and saw Used BMW or new Strom. I agree with the post above me, if there are no close dealerships or BMW certified mechanics, i would go the new Vstrom. Or S10
Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
bogfro OP
Adventurer

A new Super T is more $ than the 2 bikes I'm looking at. Plus I sat on one and something about the seat ergos didn't fit me right. It's also heavier than the BMW or the Vstrom.

Can anyone else with a Vstrom 1000 speak to the severity of their experiences with the clutch chudder and idle hammer issues? The people on Stromtrooper that have had those issues are very negatively vocal about them. It's hard to get a feel for what % of folks have those issues, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaj View Post
I can't help you with the pros and cons because I have neither. I have a 14 glee strom and love it though. If i was looking at the two bikes you are looking at it would come down to money. I can't afford the BMW, but if I could afford either of them, i would get the BMW. It is more expensive to buy and maintain but from what I read and hear, its an awesome bike. I havent watch comparison videos are anything or really even looked into the new vstrom so its really just subjective.

Why is the S10 not on the list? That bike is supposed to be a tank and was on the top of my list before I got the 650(and im glad I did).

Just wanted to chime in, I know it doesnt help any though.

EDIT - Just reread your post and saw Used BMW or new Strom. I agree with the post above me, if there are no close dealerships or BMW certified mechanics, i would go the new Vstrom. Or S10
Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,187
New Strom.

Also thrown in new Tiger 800.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Max Buffet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I had a DL 1000 for a short time and had an '05 GS and currently have a GSA.
The reason I had the DL for a short time is that the engine vibration put my hands to sleep. I liked the power, the looks were ok, but the freq of the vibe wasn't comfortable, to me. Maybe it would be different for you. The chudder was annoying, but not a huge factor.
The Boxer is just a lot more pleasant for me.
Edit: I had a 1050 Tiger, the triples are really nice, too. The Explorer engine is smooth!
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,897
Get the VStrom

I rode BMW's for 25 plus years (airheads, k bikes, oilheads, but no 1200's) and sold my 1100GS to buy a 2003 VStrom. That VStrom was such a better bike - 50,000 miles, one chain/sprockets, tires/oil/gas. Never had the clutch chudder issue and these earlier models seemed to be the ones with the issue.

I bought the VStrom after the GS final drive failed in TN and my only viable option was to rent a truck and drive 1200 miles home. No dealers on the way and even if there were, it was cheaper to just get it home and fix it myself.

Sold the VStrom to move onto a newer Super Tenere.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogfro View Post
A new Super T is more $ than the 2 bikes I'm looking at.
Why new, there're also used ones which i would seriously consider if i was worried about the V-Strom chudder-box . Strom is a funner bike, but i wouldn't deny it may require more attention.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
i have no experience with the bmw except i have been told the bmw="bring my wallet".

but i did do a suzuki demo day test ride of the 2014 v-strom and LOVED the bike.

i'm not a dirt guy, total slab rider.

i thought the power, ergos, handling were great.

i sold a kawasaki inline 4cyl z and bought a used wee-strom/dl650 because i enjoyed the v-strom vee-twin so much.

i'll definitely be looking at a used 2014 v-strom in a few years.

ymmv

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
New Vstrom. I would never buy a used BMW without some sort of warranty. Without a dealer nearby I would not consider owning one. The new Stroms are totally redesigned and don't have any of the issues you are worried about.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
bogfro OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
New Vstrom. I would never buy a used BMW without some sort of warranty. Without a dealer nearby I would not consider owning one. The new Stroms are totally redesigned and don't have any of the issues you are worried about.

Folks on Stromtrooper are saying otherwise -- the new engines are having MORE of these issues.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I'm one of those folks and I'm not saying otherwise. No engine issues. The clutch chudder non-issue seems to be appearing again but, aparrently that's just noise and may even be taken care of with a heavier oil. The recommended is 10-40. My MG ran with 15-50. May try that next change.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
bogfro OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I'm one of those folks and I'm not saying otherwise. No engine issues. The clutch chudder non-issue seems to be appearing again but, aparrently that's just noise and may even be taken care of with a heavier oil. The recommended is 10-40. My MG ran with 15-50. May try that next change.
If it was such a "non-issue" , then why did you start a thread about it on Stromtrooper?

Seriously, YOUR thread is what made me start having misgivings about buying the bike.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I've had both Vstroms and have never even heard the term "idle hammer" and the clutch chudder on my 03 was not noticeable. I've had my 14 Vstrom long enough to put 2200 miles on it and the is no clutch issue at all with it and it idleas just like an L twin should. The new V is a great bike. I personally have no desire to spend the $ on a new GS and would not buy a used one.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
2200 miles on mine. Runs great. The idle sounds I hear are normal sounding to me for a big twin engine. My GSX 1250 also makes some noise at idle that goes away with the clutch engaged. It has 22,000 miles on it and runs great. I think that some people worry to much.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote