Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #151
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 428
[QUOTE=Fasttrak;19129529]Considering you're not the person I quoted, he was in Kansas, your situation is very different. I too would not give a penny to the dealership that strung the OP out for so long and so badly. Pretty sure I wasn't whining and I take it the anger is from the fact you would like to buy a Triumph and are stuck in a situation where you have no easy out, feel bad for you. Hopefully the bad dealership in Utah goes out of business shortly and a new owner with good business practices open up and the line becomes available to you again.

Its all good. You bring up some good points.

bouldertag screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 06:48 AM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #152
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,370
Before we dump on the dealership, it must be mentioned that the dealership that our OP was dealing with was NOT the dealership from whom he bought the bike. A question begs to be asked. Just what was everybody expecting the dealership to do? They did as they had to do, ie, deal with Triumph. Triumph is the problem her, not the dealer. The OP had purchased the bike elsewhere. He may never have graced them with check/cash/VISA in the past? How much time/effort/money did you expect them to spend on this. Their time etc., was covered by the manufacturer under warranty. Beyond that? Triumph UAS is where all you hard feelings should be aimed. Not the dealership?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #153
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
before we dump on the dealership, it must be mentioned that the dealership that our op was dealing with was not the dealership from whom he bought the bike. A question begs to be asked. Just what was everybody expecting the dealership to do? They did as they had to do, ie, deal with triumph. Triumph is the problem her, not the dealer. The op had purchased the bike elsewhere. He may never have graced them with check/cash/visa in the past? How much time/effort/money did you expect them to spend on this. Their time etc., was covered by the manufacturer under warranty. Beyond that? Triumph uas is where all you hard feelings should be aimed. Not the dealership?
Lyle
+1
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #154
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiJiL View Post
There is a big difference with known small issues that are repairable and a bike that won't start, won't idle on the over-run and won't be fixed by a dealer
But they are not a Triumph dealer according to Triumph. And this is the first any of us has heard of this problem. I have had zero issues with mine and you can't discount a brand because of one experience. He was made while in the end and that's what counts. And the F800 motor is still crap.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #155
aarlint OP
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
Cant get info

I am obviously excited to receive a bike I can ride. Unfortunately I havent been able to get any reply back from peter on when my bike will be in utah and how they are going to handle the registration and tax fees. I dont know what I find more frustrating... the time it takes or being left in the dark about whats taking the time!?!?!?
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #156
skdvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
I am obviously excited to receive a bike I can ride. Unfortunately I havent been able to get any reply back from peter on when my bike will be in utah and how they are going to handle the registration and tax fees. I dont know what I find more frustrating... the time it takes or being left in the dark about whats taking the time!?!?!?
I cannot imagine your frustration. I know that I would be going nuts, not knowing what is going on. I hope you get your new bike soon and LOVE IT, and it loves you back.

Phil
skdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #157
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Before we dump on the dealership, it must be mentioned that the dealership that our OP was dealing with was NOT the dealership from whom he bought the bike. A question begs to be asked. Just what was everybody expecting the dealership to do? They did as they had to do, ie, deal with Triumph. Triumph is the problem her, not the dealer. The OP had purchased the bike elsewhere. He may never have graced them with check/cash/VISA in the past? How much time/effort/money did you expect them to spend on this. Their time etc., was covered by the manufacturer under warranty. Beyond that? Triumph UAS is where all you hard feelings should be aimed. Not the dealership?
Lyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post
+1
They are the issue in many counties, poor training and backup
PiJiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #158
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Lyle
whooooo hold on here. Let me explain something here. The current dealership acquired the last one. meaning took the books, the bikes, etc.. absorbed the previous dealership. So it is not like the original dealer went away and the op is just going to another dealer. No no no. It is a fully acquired transferred over dealer. Meaning all inventory went to this one.

I agree with you if this was not so.

boulder.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #159
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
Same bike, same problem, and still no closer to resolution.

It's good hear Austin's bike is being replaced, but it's kind of jarring for me because I just assumed the problem would eventually be fixed and then they could fix mine. The service manager at Sandy, where I bought my bike, said it sounds like I have the exact same problem.

I emailed Peter and he basically said to get my bike to the shop and have it worked on. Unfortunately, the shop is 350 miles away and they don't know how to fix the problem. And as soon as I take it there, I'm out a motorcycle.

I reported my problem in April and have repeatedly been told "were working on it and we'll let you know when we figure it out."

Maybe I am a pessimist, but I'm skeptical they're going to hand me a new bike. I sent Peter an email tonight and I'm really curious what his reply will be.

Stay tuned.
Any update to your dead Tiger 800? You might want to start your own thread and document your problems in it.. maybe Tiger owners might have some suggestions..
Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #160
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
No reply from Peter yet

I'm also waiting on a reply from Peter from an email I sent on Friday, July 13.

To be fair, we assume my problem is the same, but we don't know for sure. Symptoms are identical to Austin's bike, but I haven't had the bike diagnosed because I am 350 miles from the shop where I bought it in Sandy, Utah. I'm also still riding the bike, but doing so knowing every time I turn off the key it may not restart. Fortunately, it usually does.

My option has been to either take the bike to Sandy and leave it indefinitely, or keep riding and wait until a solution is found and then take it in.

The fact that a solution WAS NOT found with Austin's bike makes my situation more dicey. We also have a new Triumph dealer near where I live in Boise, but the mechanics aren't Triumph certified yet and they don't have Triumph's diagnostic tools and computers.

So basically I am in the same boat I've been in since April. A bike with a problem and no clue when, or if, it will get fixed. I'm waiting impatiently.

I'm trying to be reasonable about this, but what's really frustrating is it's been nearly three months and I have no idea what's going on or any indication whether it's going to be fixed or replaced, or when it might happen.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #161
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,078
Quote:
Lyle
When you enter into agreement with a vehicle manufacturer to become a dealer of their products, that agreement includes honoring the warranty on their products. It does not matter who sold the bike, which dealer absorbed which, or anything else. If Triumph asked them to start swapping parts from another bike they had in stock, as long as that bike was not spoken for by a customer they should have complied. It sucks to take a unit off the floor, but that's part of the gig sometimes. My Sales departments used to raise holy hell when I would do this particularly in the spring and summer when sales are highest, but they also knew if I was taking their inventory off the floor I'd already arrived at the conclusion that there was no other choice.

So to answer your question, that is precisely what I would have expected the dealership to do. Oh, and I would have expected the dealer not to bitch about it to the customer either. If the OP has told the story without bias and with complete truth, this dealership is an epic fail. But like they say, there are three sides to every story.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #162
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,078
For those who wish to slam Triumph for the timeline and/or their behavior before agreeing to replace the motorcycle, you obviously don't understand how this sort of thing usually works. When I had to take a manufacturer to task over a bike I bought that was clearly a lemon (5 of its first 9 months spent in the shop, nearly 1 year total shop time and over $6000 in warranty work before they were forced to take it back) it was a two and a half year ordeal via the state Attorney General's office, and later resolved only by retaining private legal representation and incurring $8000.00 in legal fees. And that was $8000.00 10 years ago, which would probably be $12,000 today. Of course the manufacturer had to reimburse me as part of the end agreement, but it was a cluster of biblical proportions. I know other people who've been through similar ordeals with arrogant, obstinate motorcycle manufacturers of German origin who shall remain nameless. One of these people is my brother, who spent nearly three years in court against the (nameless) manufacturer after a defect from the factory caused a catastrophic failure that totaled the bike and nearly killed him. The price tag on that one was north of 30k, and again he got reimbursed in the final agreement.

What many of you probably don't realize is most manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault. They will refuse to cooperate with you, because most of the time "you" just goes away and trades the bike on something else. Most of the time they will comply only when the case has weaved its way through the legal system and they are left with the choice of settling, or risking another 20 grand in legal fees on a trial they'll likely lose anyway.

What Triumph agreed to do - and the fact that they did so only three months into the process - speaks volumes about their level of customer service and concern for the reputation of their products. In the legal world three months is the blink of an eye, and the OP didn't even have to hire an attorney. I'd like to commend Triumph for standing behind their products and taking care of their customer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #163
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Complete agreement on this one. If manufacturers make it too easy every idiot who thinks the bike "vibrates too much", "gets too hot", "has a bouncing front" and so on will want to get money back or a new bike.

You have to be willing to put up a real fight and you have to have a real reason behind it.

I think it's great what Triumph has done (or is in the process of doing) in this case and I'm surprised how well this went.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #164
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
For those who wish to slam Triumph for the timeline and/or their behavior before agreeing to replace the motorcycle, you obviously don't understand how this sort of thing usually works. When I had to take a manufacturer to task over a bike I bought that was clearly a lemon (5 of its first 9 months spent in the shop, nearly 1 year total shop time and over $6000 in warranty work before they were forced to take it back) it was a two and a half year ordeal via the state Attorney General's office, and later resolved only by retaining private legal representation and incurring $8000.00 in legal fees. And that was $8000.00 10 years ago, which would probably be $12,000 today. Of course the manufacturer had to reimburse me as part of the end agreement, but it was a cluster of biblical proportions. I know other people who've been through similar ordeals with arrogant, obstinate motorcycle manufacturers of German origin who shall remain nameless. One of these people is my brother, who spent nearly three years in court against the (nameless) manufacturer after a defect from the factory caused a catastrophic failure that totaled the bike and nearly killed him. The price tag on that one was north of 30k, and again he got reimbursed in the final agreement.

What many of you probably don't realize is most manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault. They will refuse to cooperate with you, because most of the time "you" just goes away and trades the bike on something else. Most of the time they will comply only when the case has weaved its way through the legal system and they are left with the choice of settling, or risking another 20 grand in legal fees on a trial they'll likely lose anyway.

What Triumph agreed to do - and the fact that they did so only three months into the process - speaks volumes about their level of customer service and concern for the reputation of their products. In the legal world three months is the blink of an eye, and the OP didn't even have to hire an attorney. I'd like to commend Triumph for standing behind their products and taking care of their customer
+1

I know it royally sucks for the OP (and it 'aint over yet it seems) but the dealer here has been shit.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #165
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Complete agreement on this one. If manufacturers make it too easy every idiot who thinks the bike "vibrates too much", "gets too hot", "has a bouncing front" and so on will want to get money back or a new bike.

You have to be willing to put up a real fight and you have to have a real reason behind it.

I think it's great what Triumph has done (or is in the process of doing) in this case and I'm surprised how well this went.
r u serious ? dudes bike was obviously a lemon and he was treated like crap and that is somehow right? i dont think so
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote