Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #166
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
r u serious ? dudes bike was obviously a lemon and he was treated like crap and that is somehow right? i dont think so
Get a reality check. Every manufacturer will do everything to not exchange a full bike. It's not like a phone or something like that where millions of them are sold. For Triumph this means a pretty big step.

I don't like what happened and that it took so long (from the owner's perspective), but I'm surprised that they did it fairly quick and in the end if everything really works out, also fairly painless compared to what you generally have to through. Yes, it sucks that the bike is in the shop for weeks on end, but to be honest - I could do that with my bike, too. Bring it there, complain, they can't find anything, I bring it again, and again, they start swapping parts even if they can't find anything because there is nothing. A manufacturer has to fight stuff like that. I'm not saying there was nothing wrong with aarlint's bike, just that people complain for the most silly reasons and manufacturers HAVE to fight that (first without checking) or they can't survive.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #167
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,981
Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #168
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
There were so many people piling on who through no fault of their own don't seem to know or understand the process, I felt compelled to provide something based in fact. Up until I left the motorcycle business a couple of years ago I served as Liaison/negotiator between the customer and the manufacturer in several lemon law cases and know the process well.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #169
aarlint OP
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Get a reality check. Every manufacturer will do everything to not exchange a full bike. It's not like a phone or something like that where millions of them are sold. For Triumph this means a pretty big step.

I don't like what happened and that it took so long (from the owner's perspective), but I'm surprised that they did it fairly quick and in the end if everything really works out, also fairly painless compared to what you generally have to through. Yes, it sucks that the bike is in the shop for weeks on end, but to be honest - I could do that with my bike, too. Bring it there, complain, they can't find anything, I bring it again, and again, they start swapping parts even if they can't find anything because there is nothing. A manufacturer has to fight stuff like that. I'm not saying there was nothing wrong with aarlint's bike, just that people complain for the most silly reasons and manufacturers HAVE to fight that (first without checking) or they can't survive.
When you say that you could take it in and do the same thing you are lying out your . My bike didnt have a wobble in the front or some ghost problem that would only show itself when I rode it. My bike would not start and the problem was duplicated every time even after several parts were replaced. Dont make it sound like my problem was petty just because others have tried to rip triumph off. The law clearly states that if the bike is in the shop for more than 30 business days it is the legal requirement for triumph to replace it. I didnt ask for freebies... I just wanted the law and my manufacture agreement to be upheld. And i wanted a bike to ride for my 12 thousand spent.

aarlint screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 09:00 AM
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #170
aarlint OP
noob rider

In the end I am glad that triumph realized this was a clear enough case to give me a new bike without going through all the legal bulls**t. To me it speaks tons to their name, but in the end it was the correct to do, not something that should be out of the ordinary.

aarlint screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 09:01 AM
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #171
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
When you say that you could take it in and do the same thing you are lying out your ass.
You are misreading, I did not blame anything on you, I'm talking about the typical whiners that will bring in bikes for stupid reasons. I'm happy for you that you got it resolved and I think stuff like that should never happen - nevertheless it happens but you always have to look at things from both ends, customer and manufacturer. And you did. Again: I'm not talking about you.

Oh, and by the: check your language ...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #172
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
In the end I am glad that triumph realized this was a clear enough case to give me a new bike without going through all the legal bullshit. To me it speaks tons to their name, but in the end it was the correct to do, not something that should be out of the ordinary.
What should or shouldn't be out of the ordinary isn't what's at play here. I'm just telling you how the business works, and to that end Triumph made the correct and admirable decision with no official legal prodding. That's both stellar and unusual.

Oh, and lighten up Francis. Cug wasn't talking about you.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #173
aarlint OP
noob rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Oh, and lighten up Francis. Cug wasn't talking about you.
Yeah... sorry about that. Tough day at the job... Guess it opened some frustration I agree that triumph is awesome for acting so quickly and professionally once I posted about it. I really do contribute most of the quick action to those who posted on this forum and to facebook about the issue. (and those who sent emails). It was almost night and day the way the manufacturer treated me from before this thread was started to after. So to the adventure riding community and to triumph too.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #174
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Yeah... sorry about that. Tough day at the job... Guess it opened some frustration I agree that triumph is awesome for acting so quickly and professionally once I posted about it. I really do contribute most of the quick action to those who posted on this forum and to facebook about the issue. (and those who sent emails). It was almost night and day the way the manufacturer treated me from before this thread was started to after. So to the adventure riding community and to triumph too.
^ I was wondering about this, as a fellow tiger owner who has been following this from the beginning, it really did seem (from this end) that after the facebook, and emails stuff, Triumph took a serious interest. Good thing to remember, and well played the ADV community!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #175
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
so true!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #176
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
I'm also waiting on a reply from Peter from an email I sent on Friday, July 13.

To be fair, we assume my problem is the same, but we don't know for sure. Symptoms are identical to Austin's bike, but I haven't had the bike diagnosed because I am 350 miles from the shop where I bought it in Sandy, Utah. I'm also still riding the bike, but doing so knowing every time I turn off the key it may not restart. Fortunately, it usually does.

My option has been to either take the bike to Sandy and leave it indefinitely, or keep riding and wait until a solution is found and then take it in.

The fact that a solution WAS NOT found with Austin's bike makes my situation more dicey. We also have a new Triumph dealer near where I live in Boise, but the mechanics aren't Triumph certified yet and they don't have Triumph's diagnostic tools and computers.

So basically I am in the same boat I've been in since April. A bike with a problem and no clue when, or if, it will get fixed. I'm waiting impatiently.

I'm trying to be reasonable about this, but what's really frustrating is it's been nearly three months and I have no idea what's going on or any indication whether it's going to be fixed or replaced, or when it might happen.
Sorry to hear this is happening to you too. I hope you get it resolved soon with a clear diagnosis. Keep us informed. My 955 Tiger has always started reliably, but I ride with 2 guys who are on 1050 Tigers and they both have mysterious, intermittent starting problems.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #177
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
For those who wish to slam Triumph for the timeline and/or their behavior before agreeing to replace the motorcycle, you obviously don't understand how this sort of thing usually works. When I had to take a manufacturer to task over a bike I bought that was clearly a lemon (5 of its first 9 months spent in the shop, nearly 1 year total shop time and over $6000 in warranty work before they were forced to take it back) it was a two and a half year ordeal via the state Attorney General's office, and later resolved only by retaining private legal representation and incurring $8000.00 in legal fees. And that was $8000.00 10 years ago, which would probably be $12,000 today. Of course the manufacturer had to reimburse me as part of the end agreement, but it was a cluster of biblical proportions. I know other people who've been through similar ordeals with arrogant, obstinate motorcycle manufacturers of German origin who shall remain nameless. One of these people is my brother, who spent nearly three years in court against the (nameless) manufacturer after a defect from the factory caused a catastrophic failure that totaled the bike and nearly killed him. The price tag on that one was north of 30k, and again he got reimbursed in the final agreement.

What many of you probably don't realize is most manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault. They will refuse to cooperate with you, because most of the time "you" just goes away and trades the bike on something else. Most of the time they will comply only when the case has weaved its way through the legal system and they are left with the choice of settling, or risking another 20 grand in legal fees on a trial they'll likely lose anyway.

What Triumph agreed to do - and the fact that they did so only three months into the process - speaks volumes about their level of customer service and concern for the reputation of their products. In the legal world three months is the blink of an eye, and the OP didn't even have to hire an attorney. I'd like to commend Triumph for standing behind their products and taking care of their customer
I gotta say bs to this. I may not "understand how this sort of thing works", but I SURES HELL know how to look for companies that won't put you thru these legalistic,dealer vs manufacturer Hells. You say "many of us don't realize that MOST manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault". I learned SOME manufacturers don't give a shit & in my experience they were EUROPEAN manufacturers (worst was your unnamed "German" brand). And Triumph ain't made in Antarctica,is it? Arrlint & the rest of us dummies may ,as you alledge,"not understand " how this kind of customer screwing works, but his blasting this all over the internet seems to have had results that YOU praise TRIUMPH for. False cause,maybe?Would Triumph's belated response been as forthcoming WITHOUT us stoopid customers raising HELL on the WORLDWIDE WEB? Huh??? One good thing about the web,maybe--it gives little guys voices & the power to associate. GREAT JOB,arrlint old boy. Keep up the good werkz.
Gotta go knock some mud off my Tenere, the bike that WORKS for us everyday guys.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 11:34 PM
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #178
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
I gotta say bs to this. I may not "understand how this sort of thing works", but I SURES HELL know how to look for companies that won't put you thru these legalistic,dealer vs manufacturer Hells. You say "many of us don't realize that MOST manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault". I learned SOME manufacturers don't give a shit & in my experience they were EUROPEAN manufacturers (worst was your unnamed "German" brand). And Triumph ain't made in Antarctica,is it? Arrlint & the rest of us dummies may ,as you alledge,"not understand " how this kind of customer screwing works, but his blasting this all over the internet seems to have had results that YOU praise TRIUMPH for. False cause,maybe.Would Triumpf's belated response been as forthcomind WITHOUT us stoopid customers raising HELL on the WORLDWIDE WEB? Huh??? One good thing about the web,maybe--it gives little guys voices & the power to associate. GREAT JOB,arrlint old boy. Keep up the good werkz.
Gotta go knock some mud off my Tenere, the bike that WORKS for us everyday guys.
I read a post like this and can only shrug my shoulders for a way over the top attempt at making a muddled point. For all your love of Yamaha I have heard several guys complain of terrible vibrations that Yamaha dealers shrug off as, "normal" and done nothing that I have read yet to diagnose or resolve. I know of at least two dealers that have gone to great lengths to resolve perceived issues with vibrations with new Tiger Explorers, one to the tune of several thousand dollars of shop time and parts, not the best way to diagnose but they are trying. My point is, every mfg has their black eyes for not perfectly handling all situations in the best manner from the get go.

One thing that has not been posted, and will probably never be revealed is the dealer this op was forced to turn to when the troubles arose. Regardless of the fact he did not buy from this dealer it was the sole Triumph dealer in his area and from what was posted did not step up for him. You have no clue if this dealer did anything for the op and might of even made the situation worse by the communications they had or did not have with corporate Triumph. For all you know they could of made minimal or no contact with corporate Triumph to properly elevate his situation to a level that was required by a bike already into lemon law territory.

The bottom line is Triumph did step up and do the right thing, it took longer than anyone would want having shelled out the kind of cash he did on this bike. To the op, I truly hope you end up with one stellar bike that gives you a long history of stellar performance and smiles for years to come. Also, I hope Triumph does something to that local dealer to make them realize being a Triumph dealer requires more than service at the time of sale and that their responsibilities go towards every bike carrying the Triumph badge, in warranty or not.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #179
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Hay there fastrack, my post was posted merely to suggest some problems with Bueller's reasoning. Those suggestions apply to your's too. All I can go by is my own experience & that of friends & those of a few dealers I know. A dealer pal who sells all the jap brands used to sell an Italian one until he got fed up with fighting them over warranty stuff & dropped them.He sells LOTS of Yamahas. Hondas too,etc. Like Bueller,I had HORRIFIC times, with that "German Brand" (made in Bavaria,pretty sure) with BOTH new Bavarian bikes I bought while never having any real problem with maybe the 15 or so jap bikes I've hammered over the years. JUST my experience & opinion,nothing more.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 01:41 AM
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #180
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
I gotta say bs to this. I may not "understand how this sort of thing works", but I SURES HELL know how to look for companies that won't put you thru these legalistic,dealer vs manufacturer Hells. You say "many of us don't realize that MOST manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault". I learned SOME manufacturers don't give a shit & in my experience they were EUROPEAN manufacturers (worst was your unnamed "German" brand). And Triumph ain't made in Antarctica,is it? Arrlint & the rest of us dummies may ,as you alledge,"not understand " how this kind of customer screwing works, but his blasting this all over the internet seems to have had results that YOU praise TRIUMPH for. False cause,maybe?Would Triumph's belated response been as forthcoming WITHOUT us stoopid customers raising HELL on the WORLDWIDE WEB? Huh??? One good thing about the web,maybe--it gives little guys voices & the power to associate. GREAT JOB,arrlint old boy. Keep up the good werkz.
You only THINK you know how to look for companies that won't put you through this kind of hell. Your beloved Yamaha (I've owned several and think they make fantastic bikes) has a long and sordid history of its own with owner issues and their reluctance to respond. To cite just one example, I was part of the group on the FJR board that filed NHTSA complaints against Yamaha over failing ignition switches. This ultimately became a recall only after repeated complaints were filed and significant customer pressure applied. Like most manufacturers they didn't want to respond to their customers and admit they had a faulty component on their motorcycles. Ultimately they caved under NHTSA pressure created by the complaints filed.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, doesn't matter to me. I'll just sit back and laugh at you for the grandstanding nature of your post and your flagrant disregard of information from someone who dealt with these issues for a living and knows how manufacturers respond (or don't respond) to these issues. And lastly, I didn't call anyone dumb or stupid. Your post from the pulpit is solely responsible for that and even provides a great example