Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #181
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Gotta go knock some mud off my Tenere, the bike that WORKS for us everyday guys.
Man, you S10 guys are the new VStrom riders. Yes, your bike is nice. Yes, it is reliable. No, it is not inferior to any other bike out there. Please enjoy it and understand that you don't need to sell it to the rest of us. We don't care what you ride, so long as you ride. We all make choices in what we ride and our choices may be different than yours.

The OP is having trouble with his bike of choice - we've all been there (in bikes, cars, electronics, etc) and we're trying to help him.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #182
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
We don't care what you ride, so long as you ride away.
Fixed that for you ...

Disclaimer: I like the Super Tenere, too, but I've had a terrible time with Yamaha and warranty claims. Don't want to go through that again.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #183
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
It happened again

No big surprise. Rode the bike to work, everything was fine. Came home at lunch and went to leave and after turning the key the immobilizer light was on and the bike won't start. I'm waiting for it to reset, or whatever the hell it does. No telling how long it will take.

Sent Peter Carleo an email on Friday updating him on my problem. It's now been a week and I've heard nothing. The first time I emailed him he replied within hours. I just sent him another email before posting this.

Maybe he's on vacation. Who knows? All I know is I still have the immobilizer problem and do not appear any closer to having it resolved.

And here's a really weird coincidence. I have a Pelican case mounted on the back, and the latch broke. While I was home at lunch, I called Pelican about it, and they're sending me two latches completely free. I just told them I had a problem and they sent replacement parts. That's good customer service.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #184
aarlint OP
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
no reply.. that figures

Peter's email replies are sporadic sometimes I get emails within hours and other times it takes weeks sometimes a response never comes. Most of the time they are 1 sentence long answering only 1 of the 5 questions I sent in my emails.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I hope he can give you a similar deal like he gave me.

Speaking of which. He emailed me yesterday and said the bike is a week out on delivery. So by this time next week I hope to be riding away with my tiger!
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #185
aarlint OP
noob rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
No big surprise. Rode the bike to work, everything was fine. Came home at lunch and went to leave and after turning the key the immobilizer light was on and the bike won't start. I'm waiting for it to reset, or whatever the hell it does. No telling how long it will take.

Sent Peter Carleo an email on Friday updating him on my problem. It's now been a week and I've heard nothing. The first time I emailed him he replied within hours. I just sent him another email before posting this.

Maybe he's on vacation. Who knows? All I know is I still have the immobilizer problem and do not appear any closer to having it resolved.

And here's a really weird coincidence. I have a Pelican case mounted on the back, and the latch broke. While I was home at lunch, I called Pelican about it, and they're sending me two latches completely free. I just told them I had a problem and they sent replacement parts. That's good customer service.
Did you cover the ignition so it isnt in direct sun?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #186
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

It happened in the garage

It was only the second or third time that's happened in the garage. I pulled the key and waited a couple minutes and then retried several times. Then waited about 15-20 minutes and no luck. I had to get back to work, so I took my truck. Odds are very good it will fire up when I get home.

Thanks for the intel on Peter. I need to call Sandy, too. I'm going to do that now.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #187
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Longshot here but when it happened did you immediately try the other key?

My Mazdaspeed sometimes won't accept one of the keyless fobs. Trying the other one gets me going every time. It's a Mazda thing. :

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #188
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Tried it in the past.

No difference. Still doesn't work. Fortunately for me, this problem usually resolves itself in a short amount of time, then crops up again later. Usually at least once per week, sometimes more often, and occasionally less often. And I ride it almost daily.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #189
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
No difference. Still doesn't work. Fortunately for me, this problem usually resolves itself in a short amount of time, then crops up again later. Usually at least once per week, sometimes more often, and occasionally less often. And I ride it almost daily.
Have you tried doing a power cycle of the ECM? Not sure how difficult it is to get to the battery but disconnect the negative lead for a couple minutes and try it again. See if there is some software glitch with a timeout or such causing your trouble. Grasping at straws and all I came up with.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #190
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Tried that too

And I don't mind the suggestions. Just got home from work and it fired right up, which it has consistently done. It's just a matter of the immobilizer rebooting or something, unfortunately, I have no idea what that means or how or why it does it. Apparently, Triumph doesn't either.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #191
aarlint OP
noob rider

Quote:
And I don't mind the suggestions. Just got home from work and it fired right up, which it has consistently done. It's just a matter of the immobilizer rebooting or something, unfortunately, I have no idea what that means or how or why it does it. Apparently, Triumph doesn't either.
I supposed the time it takes to start it again is a safety no start time after a failed key attempt. Remember the bike thinks you have a copy cut of the key but the wrong digital signature. It would be interesting to get a key cut and try it and then try the other right key and see if it starts immediately.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #192
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,260
Quote:

Well this certainly sucks. Made even worse by your distance from the dealer. The shitty thing would be for it to not act up once taken to the dealer. Hopefully there is a scenario which tends to give this problem even if not 100% of the time so you might be more likely to be able to create the problem at the dealer. The immobilizer should be an option at least if not discarded all together for the US.

Best of luck.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #193
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I haven't read the whole thread, but have you downloaded TuneECU and checked for fault codes?
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #194
aarlint OP
noob rider

This was posted in another thread but unlike his a replaced immobilizer didn't fix mine.

"I had it twice. I used Tunecu to see the error code, it was something like 1650. It was the immobilizer that was causing problem (the thing that check the code of your key). Replaced under warranty by my dealer."
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #195
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll spare you reading the whole thread. Austin (Aarlint) and I both having the same problem, and the dealer in Salt Lake was working on his for months and Triumph punted on the repair and decided to replace his bike. I was waiting for his to be fixed so I could take mine 350 miles (one way) to get it repaired.

They decided to replace his, and mine hasn't been in a shop yet to have an official diagnostic, which hopefully will happen soon so I can at least know for sure I have the same problem.