Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #271
AustinC14
n00b

Oddometer: 5
A couple of people have messaged me to know what is happening with this issue, so I decided to go ahead and provide an update.

Since the Explorer went it to the shop on July 31st, neither the dealer or manufacturer have contacted me to provide an update. I have had to contact the dealer everytime, and I get conflicting information when I do. Over a week ago I called the dealer and the service department told me that they were going to order a new antenna for the immobilizer. Four days later I called again to see what the status was, and they said they were running diagnostics. Speaking to the same service tech I talked to four days earlier, I reminded him of what he told me four days prior. He put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and said that they were waiting on approval from Triumph to get the part.

Today I called the dealer(Lone Star BMW/Triumph) to see what was going on, and they said they had sent an email to Triumph about the part they needed, and were waiting on Triumph to respond. I decided it was time to call Triumph. I called the customer service number (678-854-2010) and talked to Mathew. Mathew, in a very unconcerned and annoyed tone said that they were waiting on the dealer to provide diagnostics. I told him that the dealer said they were waiting on a response from Triumph, and he told me that wasn't true. I told him that the level of service I have been getting from both Triumph and the dealer is unacceptable (especially since Triumph motorcycles come at a premium price), and he did not seemed concerned. I also told him that it is ridiculous that I (the customer) must make all of the phone calls to Triumph and the dealer (Lone Star) to get any sort of update, and neither of them call me. Still in a unconcerned tone, he said that he could call the dealer. I then let him know that I am not happy because I have had this problem since the first time I turned the key in the ignition after trailering the motorcycle home, and the bike has spent so much time in the shop, yet no loaner motorcycle was provided to me during this time. I told him it was a poor way of handling a customer with a new bike. He told me that Triumph doesn't provide loaner bikes, and that only the dealer can do that.

After that worthless conversation, I called the dealer and talked to the General Manager (Peter). I told him that his service department says they are waiting on Triumph to pull the trigger, and Triumph said that they were waiting on the dealer to provide more diagnostics. Peter said he would look in to the issue and call me back in a hour.

An hour later Peter called me back and said that there was confusion on their end on how to read the emails from Triumph, so previous to today, they weren't getting those emails. He also said that they dropped the ball on calling me and keeping me updated (however I'm not expecting any change with their lack of communication). He said that they are ordering a new ignition system (which will come with new key locks for the tank and seat as well). I told him that they need to make sure they order new locks for the saddlebags (I purchased the Triumph saddlebags when I purchased the TEx), and he said he would see what he could do. I told him to make sure they get them, as I am not going to come back to the shop again to get those locks replaced. Since we know we need them, get them. He said he would have to check on it. I did not get a good feeling from the way he said that. I am almost certain this is another ball which will get dropped, which is unacceptable since we discussed it and I told him that they need to get them, as I am not going to come back in to resolve this issue. I asked for an ETA on getting my bike back, and gave me an ETA of 7 days.

A few minutes after I got off the phone with Peter, I got a call from Mark at Triumph, who is the Rep at Triumph that the dealer works with. I told him I just got off the phone with the GM, Peter. I asked him how fast they can get the ignition system to the dealer, and Mark said as soon as the dealer sends the diagnostics to them. So here we go again. He said/She said. Fed up, I told him to expect a letter for a full refund on this motorcycle when the 30th day of it being in the shop is reached. I hung up.

Bottom line; this motorcycle has been in the shop for two weeks regarding this issue, and they haven't even ordered a part yet. There is a great lack of concern for getting the issue resolved with both Lone Star BMW/Triumph, and the Triumph USA Reps. Will I be buying another Triumph, or another motorcycle from Lone Star? Highly unlikely! This is no way to treat your customers.

AustinC14 screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 08:42 PM
AustinC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #272
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,587
Hmmm, I just came back from the local Triumph dealer, I was looking at a Tiger 800 roadie.
I can understand an isolated incident (the OP) but now there are a couple of Tiger incidents coupled with a couple of Explorers as well?

Subscribed....and really thinking if I want to take the chance I will get a non-starter.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #273
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Another update

Mine is a little better news. My new shop, Birds of Prey, took my bike about two weeks ago and did a diagnostic and decided the antenna in the ignition is the problem. They ordered the part, and we're still waiting for it. When I dropped off the bike I told the service manager I had a week-long ride coming up that has been planned for months. He said if the parts didn't arrive, he would put my bike back together and let me take it, which he did.

It cost his guys a couple hours of extra work to put it back together, and the service manager personally test rode it to make sure it was ready for my trip.

Despite not having the ignition fixed, at least I got it back. I'm confident it will work on my trip since it's an intermittent problem that delays the bike restarting.

I really appreciate the guys at Birds of Prey doing some extra work to make sure I can go. That's good customer service and making the best of a bad situation. I will do all my business with these guys in the future. They've treated me fairly even though I didn't buy the bike from them and they just became a Triumph dealer.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #274
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Don't have the immobilizer issue but the key sure does get hot! 2 hr ride in 85+ weather, pull the key out and it will burn your fingers!
That area of the bike runs hot!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #275
AustinC14
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
Mine is a little better news. My new shop, Birds of Prey, took my bike about two weeks ago and did a diagnostic and decided the antenna in the ignition is the problem. They ordered the part, and we're still waiting for it. When I dropped off the bike I told the service manager I had a week-long ride coming up that has been planned for months. He said if the parts didn't arrive, he would put my bike back together and let me take it, which he did.

It cost his guys a couple hours of extra work to put it back together, and the service manager personally test rode it to make sure it was ready for my trip.

Despite not having the ignition fixed, at least I got it back. I'm confident it will work on my trip since it's an intermittent problem that delays the bike restarting.

I really appreciate the guys at Birds of Prey doing some extra work to make sure I can go. That's good customer service and making the best of a bad situation. I will do all my business with these guys in the future. They've treated me fairly even though I didn't buy the bike from them and they just became a Triumph dealer.
I hope it works out for you. The problem went away on my bike for a couple of weeks, but when the problem started again, it started with a vengence; to the point where it wouldn't even start even after parked in the garage for a couple of days. That's when I had to call Triumph and get them to pay to have it trailered in to the shop. Now, even if they say they have fixed it and I get it back, it will be a long, long time (at least a year) before I attempt a long trip from home.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #276
BMWORBUST
Banned

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiJiL View Post
The US is the laughing stock of the world with all the litigation they enact upon.....

All sueing some does is increase the price of goods and line the pockets of lawyers,..........
You are absolutely right!
BMWORBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #277
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinC14 View Post
called the customer service number (678-854-2010) and talked to Mathew. Mathew, in a very unconcerned and annoyed tone said that they were waiting on the dealer to provide diagnostics. I told him that the dealer said they were waiting on a response from Triumph, and he told me that wasn't true. I told him that the level of service I have been getting from both Triumph and the dealer is unacceptable (especially since Triumph motorcycles come at a premium price), and he did not seemed concerned. I .
The Mathews of this world are the bosses son or the employee of a careless boss not in touch with their business.

Either way hope you get this resolved. I had no idea service could be this bad anywhere
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #278
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Austin please forgive me but I had a large laugh out loud when you said you were getting less than steller service from Lonestar. I bought my 06 Sprint ST from them in Dec of 06. The panniers were no charge item, but couldn't be ordered until the bike was delivered. I called every week checking on the order status as I was on assignment to Germany. After about 6-8 weeks I was told that parts had FORGOTTEN to order the bags and would be yet another month before they arrived. Good luck on your bike. I got much better service in 2010 from the Triumph dealer in Ft Worth.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #279
AustinC14
n00b

Thanks for the support everyone. Just an update: the TEx is still in the shop. As of yesterday, I'm told that the entire ignition system is on order, which will include new barrel locks for the tank, panniers and top box. ETA is supposed to be next Wednesday. It has been so long since I've seen or ridden the Explorer, I've almost forgotten how it looks and rides. I had to make my $300 payment to the bank yesterday on the TEx. It sure is hard to make a payment on something that you don't get to use.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #280
RTODAHL01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinC14 View Post
Thanks for the support everyone. Just an update: the TEx is still in the shop. As of yesterday, I'm told that the entire ignition system is on order, which will include new barrel locks for the tank, panniers and top box. ETA is supposed to be next Wednesday. It has been so long since I've seen or ridden the Explorer, I've almost forgotten how it looks and rides. I had to make my $300 payment to the bank yesterday on the TEx. It sure is hard to make a payment on something that you don't get to use.
So what ever happened?
RTODAHL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #281
TigerTrek
n00b

Same issue on Explorer

I hope you have this worked out by now. The issue is with the RFID reader in the ignition column. Each key holds an RFID chip and the component reads the chip, if it fries the bike shuts itself down.

And there's nothing you can do about it, the whole ignition column and the keys have to be replaced. Triumph warrantied mine, but the whole process took five weeks....in the summer.

Apparently this is a problem with 2012 models, hopefully by now the dealers have a clue because it took two of the five weeks just to figure out the issue. Even after it's fixed it still makes me nervous every time I turn the key.
TigerTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #282
999RBEN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
.[ QUOTE=skysailor;19150623]Before we dump on the dealership, it must be mentioned that the dealership that our OP was dealing with was NOT the dealership from whom he bought the bike. A question begs to be asked. Just what was everybody expecting the dealership to do? They did as they had to do, ie, deal with Triumph. Triumph is the problem her, not the dealer. The OP had purchased the bike elsewhere. He may never have graced them with check/cash/VISA in the past? How much time/effort/money did you expect them to spend on this. Their time etc., was covered by the manufacturer under warranty. Beyond that? Triumph UAS is where all you hard feelings should be aimed. Not the dealership?
Lyle[/QUOTE] This is all on the incompetence of the dealer.

999RBEN screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 09:37 AM Reason: mest up
999RBEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #283
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Before we dump on the dealership, it must be mentioned that the dealership that our OP was dealing with was NOT the dealership from whom he bought the bike. A question begs to be asked. Just what was everybody expecting the dealership to do? They did as they had to do, ie, deal with Triumph. Triumph is the problem her, not the dealer. The OP had purchased the bike elsewhere. He may never have graced them with check/cash/VISA in the past? How much time/effort/money did you expect them to spend on this. Their time etc., was covered by the manufacturer under warranty. Beyond that? Triumph UAS is where all you hard feelings should be aimed. Not the dealership?
Lyle
I sometimes get asked 'did you buy the bike here?' my response is 'Does it matter? I should know that when I call XYZ customer service'. The dealer is a dealer for that product, NOT for only the customers they sell it to. Customer bias is a sure sign of a lousy dealer. Internet information flow is also a great way to notify people that your dealership sucks. Good idea to keep everyone happy, or at least do your best attempt.

Guzzi has a work-around the problem described by allowing the user to enter in a setable passcode to start the bike upon an antenna/key RFID failure. Keeps you from being stranded and dealing with the above mess. Good luck to the OP.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #284
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Well my '13 Tiger 800XC with less than 300 miles on it has locked me out with the red light issue. I have tried both keys and tried pulling the battery cable to re-boot and still nothing. This is very frustrating and unacceptable in a bike meant to take you to out of the way locations. Can't get my dealer or Triumph on the phone until tomorrow. I thought this might have been a 2012 model issue but I guess not.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #285
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
OK, feeling pretty dumb about now... my issue was not the fancy Immobilizer but the old school one called an engine off switch. Never use the thing and always turn off with the key. Must have been bumped while loading my bike. Feeling a lot better about the bike but not so sure about the computer between my ears!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote