Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #16
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
This seems to be a really isolated problem, but what baffles me is why two bikes from the same shop have the same issue.
I can't help but think somebody at that Dealer is putting both keys on a ring & storing them in or near the ignition. Even if it was just a few seconds it could cause problems. Who knows?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I can't help but think somebody at that Dealer is putting both keys on a ring & storing them in or near the ignition. Even if it was just a few seconds it could cause problems. Who knows?
You've totally lost me here Rob, what would storing both keys in or near the ignition do?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
apparently it's a known problem with the immobilizer doo dad.
Too many doo dads, in my opinion.
A great bike spoiled. I had really wanted one, but once I realized just how much stuff was on it, it was far less appealing. I will stick to the DRZ for now, though I miss my old 1050 a bit, it was a pretty simple, smooth riding bike even if it was not dirt friendly.

I hope you get resolution soon.
If you are in SLC and really hurting for a ride, send me a PM, I have a blinding yellow SV I can loan to you for a weekend. It's no Tiger, but it's got wheels and a throttle.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlj View Post
You've totally lost me here Rob, what would storing both keys in or near the ignition do?
The keys have microchips. When both keys are on the same ring it tries to read two microchips at the same time. The effect (as I understand it) is the same as if you tried to log in with the wrong password too many times. The Immobilizer locks down everything.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Meanwhile, you would think your dealer has something you can use as a loaner bike? Even a 5 year old KLR will keep you "in the wind" till everything gets settled? Would be good PR at the very least?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Too many doo dads, in my opinion.
Also, how many motorcycle are ridden away when stolen? Immobilizer not going to prevent someone from picking the thing up. I wish there was a way to disable the immobilizer.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Keys aren't the issue

Unless the damage was done before we received our bikes. My keys are never within 50 feet of each other. I park my bike in the garage with the key in the ignition. The spare is in the house.

Assuming what the Sandy Triumph dealer said is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, it's just a really tricky intermittent electronic issue that unfortunately makes the bike inoperable.

I'm just a little surprised and disappointed the Triumph is being dodgy and not trying to make it right with the gent in Utah. Having his bike for 3.5 months is totally unacceptable.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Also, how many motorcycle are ridden away when stolen? Immobilizer not going to prevent someone from picking the thing up. I wish there was a way to disable the immobilizer.
Can you not just remove the immobilizer? Is it just me, or are there way too many electronics on new motorcycles? I'm still hunting for the moron who did away with kick starters!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
Unless the damage was done before we received our bikes.
I'm just a little surprised and disappointed the Triumph is being dodgy and not trying to make it right with the gent in Utah. Having his bike for 3.5 months is totally unacceptable.
That's what I was suggesting. The dealer messed up, not an owner. I'm just guessing. You have to admit, it's very strange that this has only happened to Tigers from one dealership.
I completely agree that the whole situation is unacceptable. If they can't fix a brand new bike, then he should have another bike or his money back. There is no way it should take this long to do the right thing.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 346
Did you try the other key? Maybe the problem is with the key itself.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
There is no way it should take this long to do the right thing.
That's the bottom line. If my bike were in the shop for 3 months I'd be beside myself with anger and the bad mouthing of Triumph would know no end. There is a good chance this thread will deter someone from buying a tiger and that's what Triumph deserves for dragging their ass on this.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I like my new explorer but had I read this before buying my bike I wouldnt have. Not becuase of the problem but because of triumphs lack of solution. I'm sure im not the only one. They should have made good with a new bike by now hopfully this thread will prevent others from buying from them untill they treat their customers right.
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #28
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Just be glad you live in a state that affords you protections.

In Michigan, we wouldn't have much recourse. Lemon laws here do not cover any vehicle not designed to travel on 4 wheels.

In any case, it's an unsatisfactory situation. Triumph needs to provide you with a new bike and use yours as a find-out-what's-wrong-and-fix-it-so-it-doesn't-cost-us-more-money vehicle.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #29
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Gawd, does this bring back TERRIBLE memories. I had a similar problem with BMW over a new beemer (2 of'm eventually) I had that broke on all 4 trips I began with it.Parts fell off. I owned better lawn mowers. I hounded the New Jersey home office for 3 months. Threatened lemon laws(my state's law sucked), threatened to write every motorcycle club on earth and lots of other stuff. Eventually I got what justice & I wanted. I will NEVER buy a European product again. I now have a Yamaha Tenere & LOVE it,just like I did all my many other jap bikes in the past. GOOD LUCK! I feel your pain & am not envious of the trials ahead.
I have a US dealer pal who dropped Moto Guzzi over this very same kind of bs.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Gawd, does this bring back TERRIBLE memories. I had a similar problem with BMW over a new beemer (2 of'm eventually) I had that broke on all 4 trips I began with it.Parts fell off. I owned better lawn mowers. I hounded the New Jersey home office for 3 months. Threatened lemon laws(my state's law sucked), threatened to write every motorcycle club on earth and lots of other stuff. Eventually I got what justice & I wanted. I will NEVER buy a European product again. I now have a Yamaha Tenere & LOVE it,just like I did all my many other jap bikes in the past. GOOD LUCK! I feel your pain & am not envious of the trials ahead.
I have a US dealer pal who dropped Moto Guzzi over this very same kind of bs.
When the heated seat on my R1200CLC stopped working, BMW gave me a brand spankin' new R1200GS!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote