User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
bloodandmotoroil OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
What's your thoughts on a early RD350

i'm getting a Early 70's yam RD350 twin from a friend of mine, he's owned it since new , it has the DG starburst
head and DG pipes, and it's been kept in great condition.

just wondering if any of you have any thoughts or opinions of these early 2 strokes ? i hear they corner like a dream
and do pretty good on the straits for their size.
bloodandmotoroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,093
First off were are you... in the UK?

I had an RD350LC many moons ago, in fact it waz my second bike after a Yamaha 100, It scared the shit out of me the first time i rode it, i remember thinking i had made a big mistake buying the thing, but after a week or two i freaking loved that bike.
It was fast, to fast for my second bike, I wish i could give you in-put on the breaks and suspension but it was a long time ago...I tell ya what thu, I would buy it in a hart beat.

Freaking gorgeous.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP

Bollocks screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 12:29 PM Reason: For pic
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodandmotoroil View Post
just wondering if any of you have any thoughts or opinions of these early 2 strokes ? i hear they corner like a dream
and do pretty good on the straits for their size.
They corner like a frame flexing nightmare and are possessed by demons.

Had one when I was 16 years old. I want one again BAD!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
bloodandmotoroil OP
Adventurer

i'm getting it for $600. it has a little cowl on it with a short windshield, looks a lot like cafe racer , and that odd starburd dg head makes it look like a early bultaco . she sounds evil though.

i'll post pics after i get her.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,093
I waz 17 when i got mine.

Edit: I remember I waz dating a girl and completely forgot when i brought that bike, all i wanted to do waz ride the thing...3 weeks later someone told me she had broken up with me... I remember thinking "Who?"

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP

Bollocks screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 01:03 PM
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
If clean, the heads and pipes are worth more than you're payng for the bike.
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I know if your riding a Triumph TR6C dont fuck with a 130 lb punk ass 16 year old on one. By the way, I wasnt the 130 lb punk ass 16 year old. I dont know how it cornered, he was too far ahead of me for me to see. I dont remember it being too much of a slouch in the corners though.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
bloodandmotoroil OP
Adventurer

that's what i hear.

man i've been stuck with two strokes all my life, only had on 4 stroke, a 96 honda shadow 1100, and it was nice.. but
it didn't feel like the bikes i was used to.. i'm used to the trottle being an on button. lol.

course my first bike was a twostroke.. though not a mean one.. a 45 harley 125cc hummer, it was heavy and slow and safe for a 12 year old. i still have her , she's in my living room in parts on my entertainment center, her frame is holding books and wine bottles and her wheels are bolted to my lay-z-boy so it rolls around. but i could have her running and back on the
road before tomarrow.

i think that little Rd350 will be good for me. and i can't pass it up at that price.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
My first bike was a brand spanking new 79 RD400f Daytona Special. God I wish I still had that one...
My second bike was a brand spanking new 82 RD350lc. Damn I wish I still had that one...
I guess what I'm saying is I've had a lot of different bikes but the only ones I regret selling were my two strokes.

BUY IT!
There are very few bikes that will return the number of smiles a 2t will give you. Plus it will teach you some wrenching and riding skills. (pretty flexy frame compared to todays rides but for the power it is ok).

By the way, here's the grandson to the one you're looking at (bout 30 more hp!).
There are lots more photos of terrific RD's available in the 'two stroke' section of this forum if you need any more opinions.

Best of luck! You'll be riding on one wheel! hehehe

(click on the pic to enlarge.)

Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
I waz 17 when i got mine.

Edit: I remember I waz dating a girl and completely forgot when i brought that bike, all i wanted to do waz ride the thing...3 weeks later someone told me she had broken up with me... I remember thinking "Who?"

Damn!
Half the dealership came into my office wondering what the hell I was laughing at...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodandmotoroil View Post
that's what i hear.

man i've been stuck with two strokes all my life, only had on 4 stroke, a 96 honda shadow 1100, and it was nice.. but
it didn't feel like the bikes i was used to.. i'm used to the trottle being an on button. lol.

course my first bike was a twostroke.. though not a mean one.. a 45 harley 125cc hummer, it was heavy and slow and safe for a 12 year old. i still have her , she's in my living room in parts on my entertainment center, her frame is holding books and wine bottles and her wheels are bolted to my lay-z-boy so it rolls around. but i could have her running and back on the
road before tomarrow.

i think that little Rd350 will be good for me. and i can't pass it up at that price.

I started riding a 4 stroke mini bike in 69 and by 1972 I had graduated to a 2 stroke Bridgstone mountain 90, wasnt real fast, maybe run 53 or 54 mph, went to a Bridgestone 90 sport, worked my way up through a couple more Bridgestone 90's and a 100, then went to a Bridgestone dual twin 175, had either a 4 down rotary 4 sp transmission with neutral at the end or 5 speed. I rode a 350 Honda and thought, shit this things a dog. 2 strokes rule. I havent owned one since the late 70's, but I'd jump on a nice RD or just about any other mid size 2 stroke in a heartbeat.

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 03:08 PM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
You don't want that POS, nothing but trouble. Since you are a fellow ADVrider just PM me and I'll take it off your hands for $800.

You don't need to thank me...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
bloodandmotoroil OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
You don't want that POS, nothing but trouble. Since you are a fellow ADVrider just PM me and I'll take it off your hands for $800.

You don't need to thank me...

i think not.

and besides.. i like trouble.. keeps ya on your feet. lol
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,522
Wicked FUuuuunnnn

I missed out on two strokes back in the day, so I bought one last fall.
I'm in LOVE. Mine is just an R5, but I see an RZ350 in my future.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i had an early rd . An aircooled 1970 i think.
It was a VERY fun bike for the time.
Seemed like it had out of this world power .In reality it only had 40 -50 hp and topped out at 95 mph .
I saw one at a show recently and couldnt get over how small it was .It didnt seem small when I was young kid.
After riding todays fast bikes I dont think a ride on the little rd would excite me.