ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #496
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Have we expanded the tag area? I'm all for expanding btw
Really wasn't sure about the boundary lines. I was there the other day, took some pics, thought it would make a nice tag location. Personally, I think anything within a easy days ride would be an exceptable ride. That's just me tho.
travlr_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #497
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,601
Boundaries and rules. IVO Rocky Ford is Screven County. There is a GA Tag, a North GA Tag, a Diners DriveIns and Dives Thread, and a Coastal Empire Tag. Is there enough interest for an inland GA tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
Savannah area tag-o-rama for the ADV riders of the Coastal Empire.....
The boundaries are simple. Keep on or within the county lines of...
Chatham
Effingham
Bryan
Liberty
Mcintosh
Glynn
and in SC
Jasper
Beaufort
Rules:

1. Only 1 tag at a time. Must be findable.
2. No tags from files you must ride to get the tag!!!
3. Post decent clues.
4. Dirt, gravel,and asphalt are all fair game we are adv riders. No single-track ,pig-paths, or illegal trails.
5. Have fun, be safe.
6. and my favorite, no EFFIN WHINING.

For those of you who are new to tag in general. This is the way it works. A photo is taken of a bike in a scene. It is posted on this thread. Clues are provided for the tag's location. You solve the clues or recognize the location from the pic. You ride out to the location. Put your bike in the same scene.Take a pic and identify the location in your post's subject heading. If you are the first to post your pic on the thread, then the new tag's location is yours to determine. and so on, and so on......

MAP: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...45283b6d&msa=0

Now let's get out there and explore our area.

Things I've ate/cooked.

dolomoto screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 10:01 AM
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #498
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Guess I will have to go out today and find another tag
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #499
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Sorry I haven't had time for tagging lately. Between work, BMW wrenching, and everything else it seems like I rarely have a free hour these days. I'm still lurking on this thread though. I'm gonna ride to Cordele and back for a work thing on Thursday if anyone's up for a long ride. I'll probably be busy in Cordele for an hour and a half or so. Gonna be around four hours each way via US-280, leaving at 7:30-8:00 AM.
mr.jadkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #500
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45 View Post
That is a cool tag location. It is very close to me. I can easily grab and move it back in bounds if that is needed.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #501
Mr&MrsErnbo OP

Oddometer: 1,315
Nice Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jadkowski View Post
Sorry I haven't had time for tagging lately. Between work, BMW wrenching, and everything else it seems like I rarely have a free hour these days. I'm still lurking on this thread though. I'm gonna ride to Cordele and back for a work thing on Thursday if anyone's up for a long ride. I'll probably be busy in Cordele for an hour and a half or so. Gonna be around four hours each way via US-280, leaving at 7:30-8:00 AM.
That's a nice ride..........one I've done before. Have fun and enjoy the scenery. I'd join you if I could and take you along a few back road "shortcuts."

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #502
Mr&MrsErnbo OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45 View Post
Yup............ and as so eloquently pointed out, there is a Georgia tag but you'll have to fight with Jub and the Central Georgia guys in trying to wrestle it away from them.

Since the Georgia tag often is out of reach for Coastal Riders, I dreamed up and started the local tag game, for everyone who wants to do short rides up and down the coast.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #503
Mr&MrsErnbo OP

New tag...from Travlr for us

Clue? Use you zoom, google, then follow the road.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #504
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
New tag...from Travlr for us

Clue? Use you zoom, google, then follow the road.
Find and follow the islands hwy.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #505
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone up for a SLOOOOOOOOW dirt ride?

I've been riding my v-strom on some of the dirt roads out in Bulloch county, but I think I need some pointers. Bumps/ruts/ect. are fine but as soon as I hit the sugar sand or washboards (or usually a combination of both) my pucker factor goes up to 11. I suppose trying to figure this out on a 500lb bike with worn trailwings isn't ideal, but it's what I have. I do my best to stay relaxed and let the bike do it's thing while going through the sand, but inevitably the tank slapper starts, I let off the throttle and grab the clutch, and it's pure rodeo from there. I haven't dumped the bike yet, but I'm not sure how.

Anyone want to take me out on a slowpoke ride and give me some tips? Mostly I'd just like an extra person there to help me pick up the bike when I drop it. Dirt experience would be a plus but I doubt any of the good dirt riders are going to want to poke around at 20 MPH with me.

P.S. I'll buy lunch
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #506
Slider17k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
I've been riding my v-strom on some of the dirt roads out in Bulloch county, but I think I need some pointers. Bumps/ruts/ect. are fine but as soon as I hit the sugar sand or washboards (or usually a combination of both) my pucker factor goes up to 11. I suppose trying to figure this out on a 500lb bike with worn trailwings isn't ideal, but it's what I have. I do my best to stay relaxed and let the bike do it's thing while going through the sand, but inevitably the tank slapper starts, I let off the throttle and grab the clutch, and it's pure rodeo from there. I haven't dumped the bike yet, but I'm not sure how.

Anyone want to take me out on a slowpoke ride and give me some tips? Mostly I'd just like an extra person there to help me pick up the bike when I drop it. Dirt experience would be a plus but I doubt any of the good dirt riders are going to want to poke around at 20 MPH with me.

P.S. I'll buy lunch
A Strom, or any of the big adventure bikes for that matter, on what is basically a street tire with slightly aggressive tread, is gonna be a sketchy ride in sugar sand!!!! To make the best of it, get yer butt up off of the seat but keep your knees slightly bent and flexible. Just like you said above, stay loose and relaxed...with your weight well to the rear...you know, with your butt hovering over the rear portion of the seat. Ideally, gently roll on the throttle...or at least try to maintain a steady throttle...the idea is to keep as much weight off of the front as possible. Be in a gear so your RPM's are at least in the 4000 to 5000 range so you have "instant" acceleration if you need it...also for better engine braking if you do need to slow down. Stay off of the front brake in sand. If you see the sand in time, slow down first so you can accelerate through it from a low speed. Washboard is basically the same although all of your inputs will be less exaggerated than in sand. Also try to keep your head and eyes up...look through the obstacle, not right in front of your tire. Well, that's the basics anyway, hopefull it will help you a little. Jus be careful!!!
I'd like to ride some dirt roads up in that area!!!...jus have to see how my schedule is running.
Slider17k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #507
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider17k View Post
Also try to keep your head and eyes up...look through the obstacle, not right in front of your tire.
That's something I noticed when I was riding last night. As long as I kept my head up and eyes looking down the road everything felt much more stable. It's hard to keep myself looking up when I want to pick a line through the tracks and washboards right in front of the bike, but I'm getting better at it. For the most part, I'm already standing up with my weight back and trying to keep the throttle smooth and constant. Slowing down and accelerating into the sand is a good idea though. I'm hesistant to roll on throttle when I hit the sand as that's when things go pear-shaped and I don't really want to go any faster than I already am. But if I slow down before hand, I can put a little power down and keep the speed in my comfort zone.

I think mostly I just need more seat time riding in these conditions to get my comfort level up. There sure are a lot of pretty roads around here once you get off the beaten path!

mr.jadkowski screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 02:04 PM
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #508
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's something I noticed when I was riding last night. As long as I kept my head up and eyes looking down the road everything felt much more stable. It's hard to keep myself looking up when I want to pick a line through the tracks and washboards right in front of the bike, but I'm getting better at it. For the most part, I'm already standing up with my weight back and trying to keep the throttle smooth and constant. Slowing down and accelerating into the sand is a good idea though. I'm hesistant to roll on throttle when I hit the sand as that's when things go pear-shaped and I don't really want to go any faster than I already am. But if I slow down before hand, I can put a little power down and keep the speed in my comfort zone.

I think mostly I just need more seat time riding in these conditions to get my comfort level up. There sure are a lot of pretty road around here once you get off the beaten path!
For me, keeping my head up and using a light touch on the handlebars helps a great deal. You don't fall as much when you speed up, but it hurts more when you do fall. I'd really rather wait 2 or 3 days after a rain. I'm up for teaming up for some riding in Screven, Bulloch, Jenkins, and the "Empire" counties.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #509
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
You don't fall as much when you speed up, but it hurts more when you do fall.
I read a discussion of an enduro riding course that addressed this; the instructor basically said that the best thing to do was to go as fast as you're comfortable with. The idea being that when the bars go a little wonky you won't freak out and then do all the things which are actually causing you to dump the bike. Makes sense to me! That's why I want to get out and ride some more dirt; hopefully I can get my comfort speed up to a level that's not so wobbly! Maybe Friday or Sunday?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #510
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I read a discussion of an enduro riding course that addressed this; the instructor basically said that the best thing to do was to go as fast as you're comfortable with. The idea being that when the bars go a little wonky you won't freak out and then do all the things which are actually causing you to dump the bike. Makes sense to me! That's why I want to get out and ride some more dirt; hopefully I can get my comfort speed up to a level that's not so wobbly! Maybe Friday or Sunday?
Friday is better for me. Any one else in for a slow ride?