ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #616
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Anyone got a chain rivet tool I can borrow or rent for a day? Will also take any advice?
Sorry, I don't have one. I've seen some on sale recently on cyclegear.com.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #617
Slider17k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Anyone got a chain rivet tool I can borrow or rent for a day? Will also take any advice?
Hey Rutabaga, how ya been doin'?
If I had a rivet tool you would be more than welcome to borrow it...but, don't have one. I think Cycle Gear (Charleston) has the whole kit on sale right now for around $39.
Personally, I use clip type master links...you can safety wire the clip for a little extra "peace of mind :)". Been using them on the race bikes for years...in much harsher conditions than our ADV bikes ever see, with no issues. However YMMV!
If you decide to use a clip type, make sure it matches your chain (size, mfg., model)!!
Slider17k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #618
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-fa...ivet-tool.html

This is only helpful if you already have the tools (a c-clamp and tubing flare set). I've never actually done a chain with that DIY tool, a one of my coworkers has a complete chain tool set and that makes it easy and quick.

Make sure you press the side plate on to the correct spacing before you mushroom the rivet pins. I use a set of calipers to compare the master link to the next link over; once the dimension between both outside plates is the same, I mushroom the rivets until the width of the rivet pin heads is the same as the rivets in the next link over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.jadkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #619
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Sorry, I don't have one. I've seen some on sale recently on cyclegear.com.
Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider17k View Post
Hey Rutabaga, how ya been doin'?
If I had a rivet tool you would be more than welcome to borrow it...but, don't have one. I think Cycle Gear (Charleston) has the whole kit on sale right now for around $39.
Personally, I use clip type master links...you can safety wire the clip for a little extra "peace of mind :)". Been using them on the race bikes for years...in much harsher conditions than our ADV bikes ever see, with no issues. However YMMV!
If you decide to use a clip type, make sure it matches your chain (size, mfg., model)!!
Yea, I used clips on my shifter kart secured with some very fine safety wire. Just the ticket for easy maintenance. Horsepower was not too different from the G650(45 vs 52?). I think the chain I was looking at only came with the rivet link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jadkowski View Post
http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-fa...ivet-tool.html

This is only helpful if you already have the tools (a c-clamp and tubing flare set). I've never actually done a chain with that DIY tool, a one of my coworkers has a complete chain tool set and that makes it easy and quick.

Make sure you press the side plate on to the correct spacing before you mushroom the rivet pins. I use a set of calipers to compare the master link to the next link over; once the dimension between both outside plates is the same, I mushroom the rivets until the width of the rivet pin heads is the same as the rivets in the next link over.

Wow! Calipers. Digital I hope. My shaking hands make a mockery of measuring distances that small.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #620
mr.jadkowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Nah, I have a set of cheapo vernier calipers that do the trick. They are good to .1mm, if you can read a vernier scale!

mr.jadkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #621
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Promise kept!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45 View Post
For those that are interested, slider17 and I ( and maybe jake62) are going to meet at " steamers" in Richmond hill Wednesday evening about 6:30/6:45. C'mon guys, have some good food, share some ride tales. Maybe plan some riding.
Quote:
Wish I was gonna be around. Headed out Wed. morn to do a Georgia perimeter ride.

Dinner in Richmond Hill sounds better than Ramean eaten out of the Jet Boil. Maybe next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuner View Post
Good luck, have fun, & tell us about it!
Here is the first segment of the total package. Hope you enjoy it.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941613
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #622
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
To all y'all out there in "ADV land" hope everyone has a a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Thanks for all the rides from this year Keep it safe, lots of miles to ride in the new year coming. Spring will be here before ya know it. Be ready to ride. If anyone is interested maybe an ADV ride/lunch could could be worked out for next wknd.
travlr_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #623
motogirl25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Travlr_45, do you have a website about the dual sport ride in FL in January?

2 Guys and a Girl Tackle the TAT: Part 1
motogirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #624
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogirl25 View Post
Motogirl,
it.Polar Bear Adventure Rally
January 10, 11, & 12 - 2014
A Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Weekend
A CADS supported Event

Sponsors

BMW Jacksonville

Klim Gear

Thanks to these sponsors we will have door prizes on Saturday Night.

This event is for "GS Giants", "Dirty Dozen Riders" and dual sports of all types. We will have 5 routes, an Adventure Route for Big GS's, KTM 990/950's, Teneres and Tigers. Also Dual Sport "Ocala" routes A, B, and C for the 250's to 650's etc. all bikes need tags. There will also be a sport touring street ride in the Florida back country.

Where: Gold Head Branch State Park, Keystone Heights, Fl
Phone 352-473-4701 Reservations 800-326-3521
www.reserveamerica.com

Rally Fee: The is No Fee

You will however be expected to pay for your own camping arrangements with the State Park as well as your food.

Regarding Food - we are planning a dinner Friday night where CADS folks will be bring "most" of the food. Saturday night we are working to arrange a caterer to come in and cook us a meal. Everyone will have to pay the caterer for their meal (if they want that meal). We are expecting cost to be around $10 per person. As we get closer we will be flushing out the details.

There are Cabins for rent from $65 to $100 a night and sleep from 4 to 6 people. Tent and RV camping is $20 per night, and 2 tents are allow per site.

If you are trailering in just for the day their is a day fee of $5. We will have a section where our cars and trailers can park for the weekend or just the day.

There is also 3 group camping sites available if you have a team you are bringing. Those sites are $5 a head.

This area of Florida has several State Forests for us to use as well as Ocala National Forest. We expect to lead rides out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We will also have routes sheets for adventure or dual sport routes.

Temperatures are expected to be a chilly 60-70 degrees that time of year

Tenative Schedule

Plans at this point look like:

Friday will be an early bird ride for those that arrive thursday night or early friday morning. This will be a nice moderate ride to get warmed up for the "Big Ride" on Saturday.

On Saturday we plan to have 3 groups like at the Turkey Trot for the (small bikes) "Big Ride" on Saturday.

An "A" Group (Fast Burn) "if you are even wondering, this is not your group"
A "B" Group regular "aggressive" riders and most humans
A "C" Group this will be those interested in a no pressure ride.

By design, those that start in A group and have trouble hanging can wait for the B group to join them with a much better chance of continuing a "normal" life.

If B is still more than you want to chew on, then you can hang out for the C group.

Hopefully this approach will give everyone the challenge they desire while also offering a nice no pressure option.

There will still be an Adventure ride on Saturday for big bikes as well. If we have a large number of big bike we may split up into A, B groups for safer and smoother experience. A Street Ride will also be lead for those that want to join in but do not have a dirt or adventure oriented bike.

We do plan to send out the GPS tracks when we have the routes figured out. So if you desire you can ride the routes with your own group.

BMW of Jacksonville
Will be providing the food on Friday.
They will also have Some GS models available for test Rides

FOOD
Friday
We plan to have an afternoon cook out at a CADS members cabin on a lake near the State Park during the friday ride.

Friday evening we also plan to have a simple cook out for those arriving later on friday.

Saturday
Lunch is being arranged to be on the routes at Foxy's B-B -Que.

Sat night will be the "Big" dinner and festivities at the State Park. This is targeted to be a catered event of some good grub.

Saturday Night will be the drawing for Door Prizes. The Grand Door Prizes will be a Klim Traverse Jacket and a Klim Traverse Pant. In addition, those winners will get a coupon card to use to purchase the other half at a large discount.

Klim Traverse Suit -Must be there to win

Count down has begun

IN

Day13
D6066
hawkman
Mr Guns
Kaosrider
SamIam
Bobby Ginger
waybill
Slimy
Roadking99
Huzband
Wolfgang55
Rambo1
Dr.Z + fil
Colemanfu "King of all Manfu"
Motomike14
Kubano - out recovering
Vico 1
Buzztail
Sperz1
Mugwest
sfront and Team Wanker
Woodsatyr
Phillip Kuntz
Crazy Creek
Chicken Helmet
AdamFl
Seatec and Mrs Seatec
FLArider1
Ginger Beard
Dewaynehasty
PoolPah
FastnSpeedy
Fulano
CAPEHORN 31 (Terry, Paco and JC)
Master Chief and Mrs. Chief
brewmann
Spaded Ace
Beach finn
Swannie
Milkyway
SuttoFl
lilrascal55
Next40
Oldbikerman
4wdzuk
Eeickey
SteveWFL ( Maybe?)
jmal
gwelsh
reedo 12
Zrexrob
Al Tuna
Sanjoh
jub jub
Ag Streak
Larrygee
Bg Dadddy
yzmaico
reunice
Schoals +5
viclan
Spikesgs
Delta61 +4
Kruser
Spaded Ace
Millerman1855
BlueLghtning
Dave t08
Tracker2
piggy
drtdigr
mike
NDKRomany
Kelly duke 2000
Fl Pepper
Rightspin
Lawnchairboy
DRZDIVER + 4
moderndaydrifter +1
Kyle B
tumbleweed
Peacock12 + 1

Let us know if you can make it. I will be updating this page as we go.

Did I forget anything?
kaosrider screwed with this post Today at 09:12 AM

09-19-2013, 12:13 PM #2
Rambo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Count me in. Going to request the time off from work and the wife . can you recommend any campsite #'s where most of you are staying etc... never been to this park.

Thanks

09-19-2013, 12:16 PM #3
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 8,989
In!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff

09-19-2013, 01:21 PM #4
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo1
Count me in. Going to request the time off from work and the wife . can you recommend any campsite #'s where most of you are staying etc... never been to this park.

Thanks
It is early so pick a spot and we can tell everyone else where to camp .

travlr_45 screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 03:38 PM
Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #625
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45 View Post
To all y'all out there in "ADV land" hope everyone has a a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Thanks for all the rides from this year Keep it safe, lots of miles to ride in the new year coming. Spring will be here before ya know it. Be ready to ride. If anyone is interested maybe an ADV ride/lunch could could be worked out for next wknd.
Same here, wishing everyone the best during this holiday season. I have really enjoyed the rides & the eating this year! I hope we can do it all again next year!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #626
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Just reserved a tent spot at the park for the rally. Anyone else headed that way? Am probably headed down Thursday 1/9/14, maybe back Sunday or Monday.
Would be will to split camp site as they allow two tents per site if anyone needs a spot.

Hope y'all have a Happy Holiday season.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920957
Old 12-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #627
motogirl25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Just reserved a tent spot at the park for the rally. Anyone else headed that way? Am probably headed down Thursday 1/9/14, maybe back Sunday or Monday.
Would be will to split camp site as they allow two tents per site if anyone needs a spot.

Hope y'all have a Happy Holiday season.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920957
Did you get a tent only site or can we share if we drive our VW bus down? If so that would be awesome to share one and split the fee.

2 Guys and a Girl Tackle the TAT: Part 1
motogirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #628
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you get a tent only site or can we share if we drive our VW bus down? If so that would be awesome to share one and split the fee.
Sounds great.

This is the link:

http://floridastateparks.reserveamer...&parkId=281032

Looks to me like your van would just be a vehicle and two per site are allowed.
Will send you some other info via PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #629
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

For anyone interested, the last few years on New Year's Day there has come to be a gathering at "Benton lee's " steak house just outside of Baxley ga. I have seen as few as 30 or 40 bikes show up( rain) to as many as 200 or 300. If interested speak up, a group ride and some good food is a great way to start a new year.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #630
New2Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Just got a crf250L and live on Hilton Head, I am ready to play :)

What is the official last tag and clue?

Thanks! I am also interested in the local meet-ups when they happen :)
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote