User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Snowbound OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
1150 rear turn signals

I converted my 1150 GS to a Touratech duel LED tail light .
At the same time I went with Touratech rear signals.
The flexible stalks are toast .Touaratech says that they are past warranty.(1 year warranty)
I am looking for some durable signals .LED is neat ,but I want plug and play .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
skybo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I plan on putting these on my 1150
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-T...sories&vxp=mtr
not saying they are plug and play, but look quality.
skybo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Snowbound OP
Studly Adventurer

I think you will have to do some work to make them work . They are not plug and play . There is a thread on led signals.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Did you add a resistor to the TT set-up to prevent the rapid flash or do the turn signal control mod? Shame on TT for not just sending you new stalks.

I purchased something similar to what Skybo1 posted, the CNC machined amber LED. If you use those then pay attention to the drain hole which must point down. I got mine cheap or would not have purchased. Wide angle of view and very bright but the short stalks lowered visibility with AL paniers mounted. The other issue is the pc boards are not fully potted (epoxy coated). Not a water resistant design.

If I already had the TT then I would try to add a suitable stalk before replacing the TT's. Certain amber LED signals can add safety but there are plenty of conventional ts for dirt cheap that work fine. You don't see any power savings or improved reliability like you do with ditching the 11xx tail light.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Snowbound OP
Studly Adventurer

Stalk and housing are one piece . The signals are not LED. I am looking for turn signals that will work through repeated offroad abuse.What is the turn signal control mod ? I may go back to the stock signals . I am working on fitting a Rotopax inside a Givi pannier rack on the shaft side . Baha designs has a set for $35.00 +-.

Snowbound screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 03:51 PM
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Turn Signal Mod?

If you're referring to the mod which will allow LED bulbs in the OEM signal stalks etc and flash at the normal rate instead of real fast......Poolside has a pictorial on how to do it here on ADV. It involves cutting a trace line on the flasher relay which senses a drop in power when the LED signal is turned on. LED has such little draw it resembles a situation where one of the incandescent bulbs is burned out resulting in the lights flashing at a high rate to give the operator a heads up that a bulb is burned out.

Takes a couple of seconds to cut the line with an exacto/box knife and it can be reversed,

Poolside's article is very informative and very easy to follow.

I gave it a try but frankly found that amber incandescent bulbs with a clear lens were easier to see than the LED lights. During the daytime at least.....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
For rough service you can't beat fully potted 1 watt x 3 or 4, TIR (total internal reflector) LED emergency vehicle mini light heads. The Axixtech SLED04 unit that I fitted inside my 1100 oem tail lamp five years ago has performed flawlessly and is way more effective than just about any other solution.
Here is an updated XSLED04 on sale for $20:
http://www.emergencycity.com/Axixtec...x-xsled04g.htm

EmergencyCity has Whacker and other units from $17 on closeout. Most of these have a bezel, the use of which is optional. Sometimes they are pictured in an L bracket which is extra. They are water/shock proof and incredibly bright. (could be too bright for blinkers, lens not DOT)

Truck stops usually have a wide selection of incandescent and lower power LED lights for much less than mc shops. These are less bright than emergency lights and are DOT.

Since the 11xx mounting location isn't the best you might find that mounting one of these light heads to the panniers or you own bracket is just the ticket. Might be able to mount under the luggage rack. For wiring just used Posi-lock barrels. Many units can be wired to come on with the stop lamp. Some feature clear, black-out or armor protection. $5 and up.

Anecdotaly, cutting the trace hasn't worked on some 11xx turn signal controllers. I don't know which ones were problematic off hand.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote