Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #46
skwatr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Oh Yea, And Bernard Moitessier "The long way" and my all time favorite "In the heart of the sea" Nathaniel Philibrick.

Humbly puts small mechanical issues in their place!
skwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatr View Post
Time permitting im going after the clutch slave cylinder. I have never looked at it and should.
Did the shifter linkage come loose when you were messing around with the other stuff? Clutch slave doesn't really make sense. It would go into gear, but you wouldn't have a clutch per se.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #48
skwatr
Adventurer

negative. I only removed the FD for repair. When i noticed the FD was leaking and vibrating, I stopped and loaded the bike in the truck. I even slowly motored it in to the shop , so it was shifting fine before the FD work?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #49
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
If you put the bike on the center stand with the engine off, hold the shift lever all the way up and rotate the back tire in either direction, does the transmission make any click or clunk type noise at all or go into gear? If not, take the bike off the center stand and try the same thing except remove the spark plugs and then while holding the shift lever up, rotate the engine with the front crankshaft bolt. Are the results any different? You want to verify if the transmission will shift with either the input or output shaft rotation or both or neither.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 08:53 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #50
skwatr
Adventurer

happy ending

Good trouble shooting tips fat chance. Fortunately I did not have to use them.
I pulled the FD off expecting to see the FD U joint shaft not properly installed in the transmission output shaft. I slowly pulled it out with a headlight on. inconclusive. I could not tell as the visual range is small. After cleaning the fixed and floating pivot studs i realized you can look through those pivot holes and see where the shafts connect to verify connectivity.

Im sure the reason I was stuck in neutral was I preloaded the rear suspension to aprox 185 lbs as called out in the BMW MM.

I watched saint jims dvd again and he simply tightens the reaction link with no preload. If anyone has a picture of Jims face I would love to superimpose it on one of those mexican saint candles and send it too him. I love that guy and what a great job he did on his videos. Short and sweet, hitting the important points. His unpretentious use of harbor freight tools confirms hes a regular guy worthy of sainthood.

I had prepared myself to admitting i didn't have the shaft connected, which i did my first stab because the shaft is cut to only go inn one way. I know tha'ts not the case and one would think the mc would go into gear and the output shaft would reak havoc and thrash around in the tube if not properly connected?

The main reason for my long windiness is to have it out there that preloading the rear end IAW BMW MM( ratchet strap through rear rim and saddle box frame) could and probably did load the rear drive awkwardly enough to lock my gearbox in neutral.

Thanks for the tech support and im happy to have her back on the road!