Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
95 GSPD garage find. How to get it back on the road?

I recently found a 1995 BMW GSPD that a co-worker had sitting in his garage for a few years untouched. He purchased the bike new in late 94. After a cycling accident he parked it and has not ridden or started it in 3 or so years.

I picked it up and have begun prep to get it back on the road and am looking for pointers as BMW motorcycles are new to me.

So far I drained the gas, replaced plugs and battery. I was able to start and run it this morning fairly easily. It smelled bad, I assume partly from all the spider webs... The left cylinder seemed a good bit hotter than than the right, is this normal? Also the blinkers and horn are not working and the neutral light is not comming on. High and low beams are working.

I will be changing the engine and gear oil tomorrow, the air filter looked pretty new.

Once I get that set and run it for a while what else should I look into? Any advice appreciated.
The bike has 28k miles.
Kbdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,403
Old gas leaves a sticky residue behind even if removed. Removing the float bowls from the carbs and cleaning would be a beginning. If the carbs were removed they could be cleaned better. Some gasoline additive will help.

The bike is really at this point in an unknown condition. I don't suspect problems with the valves or expect them to be out of adjustment but I think it prudent to adjust the valves.

The engine oil, gear box oil and final drive oil should all be changed several times. The brake fluid should be changed. The fork oil should be changed.

All these procedures and more are described in several manuals available. There's Haynes, Clymer and the BMW Shop Manual. Take your pick. Buy one.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
What disston said. Give the carbs a good cleaning. Definitely disassemble them and clean them well. Idle circuit passages clog easily and just dropping the bowls and giving them a quick spray isn't enough to do it right. Drop all the fluids and replace them. Regrease your swingarm bearings, and steering head bearings. Get it running, put 1000 miles on it or so and change at least the motor oil again. That should at least get you going. Then just put all the miles on it that you can and see what needs attention.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
coastranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
yep, what they ^^ said.
one cylinder getting hotter than other ? Warning, these bikes do not like sitting still adn idling, its not good for em. Dont let it sit there and get too hot without at least a box fan blowing on the engine and still only sitting still for a short time
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thumb

Congratulations on your find!

I'll just mention that you should also change a some rubber bits, such as:

1.Speedo rubber boot that goes into the tranny
2.Fuel lines, and possible add a couple on inline fuel filters
3.Tires

Take a look at the rubber pieces of on the swing arm for cracks, etc.

+1 on removing the carbs for a deep clean.

Good luck,
Mario
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Old gas leaves a sticky residue behind even if removed. Removing the float bowls from the carbs and cleaning would be a beginning. If the carbs were removed they could be cleaned better. Some gasoline additive will help.

The bike is really at this point in an unknown condition. I don't suspect problems with the valves or expect them to be out of adjustment but I think it prudent to adjust the valves.

The engine oil, gear box oil and final drive oil should all be changed several times. The brake fluid should be changed. The fork oil should be changed.

All these procedures and more are described in several manuals available. There's Haynes, Clymer and the BMW Shop Manual. Take your pick. Buy one.
Thanks, the gas smelled a little off and was tinted. It started pretty easy with new gas though, I was surprised. I plan to run it for a few minutes before draining the fluids to get them lose. I do plan to check the valves. Break fluid is dirty so I will change and bleed. The forks feel soft, I will need to go get oil and do those as well.

Good point on service manual, I'll pick one up. So far I have factory owners manual and that's it. Thank you
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
What disston said. Give the carbs a good cleaning. Definitely disassemble them and clean them well. Idle circuit passages clog easily and just dropping the bowls and giving them a quick spray isn't enough to do it right. Drop all the fluids and replace them. Regrease your swingarm bearings, and steering head bearings. Get it running, put 1000 miles on it or so and change at least the motor oil again. That should at least get you going. Then just put all the miles on it that you can and see what needs attention.

I didn't think of head and swingarm bearings, thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastranger View Post
yep, what they ^^ said.
one cylinder getting hotter than other ? Warning, these bikes do not like sitting still adn idling, its not good for em. Dont let it sit there and get too hot without at least a box fan blowing on the engine and still only sitting still for a short time

Once I started it I only ran it for a few minutes sitting to hear it run, it felt like the head/exhaust was much warmer on the left. It seemed weird given ths short run time. After I change the fluids and actually take it outside for a short ride I'll have to check it again, so far that was the only thing that concerned me.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
Congratulations on your find!

I'll just mention that you should also change a some rubber bits, such as:

1.Speedo rubber boot that goes into the tranny
2.Fuel lines, and possible add a couple on inline fuel filters
3.Tires

Take a look at the rubber pieces of on the swing arm for cracks, etc.

+1 on removing the carbs for a deep clean.

Good luck,
Mario
I was really surprised and excited to find it too. I was telling a guy I work with about the KTM 690 SMC I just bought and he said "I've got a bike I'd sell you" when I asked what he told me BMW GSPD and I was very excited. Not telling me anything else I went to check it out the next weekend. Once I got there he told me he was the original owner and even had the deliver stamp in the owners manual.

I was planning to buy a new GSA a couple months ago but bought the KTM instead and had been looking for a used GS etc. So this was a perfect find for me. I plan to replace the tires with something more 50/50 and yes the rubber and hoses are either hard or cracking. I can't wait to bring it up to par on maintenance and go put some miles down.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbdakar View Post
I recently found a 1995 BMW GSPD that a co-worker had sitting in his garage for a few years untouched. He purchased the bike new in late 94. After a cycling accident he parked it and has not ridden or started it in 3 or so years.

I picked it up and have begun prep to get it back on the road and am looking for pointers as BMW motorcycles are new to me.

So far I drained the gas, replaced plugs and battery. I was able to start and run it this morning fairly easily. It smelled bad, I assume partly from all the spider webs... The left cylinder seemed a good bit hotter than than the right, is this normal? Also the blinkers and horn are not working and the neutral light is not comming on. High and low beams are working.

I will be changing the engine and gear oil tomorrow, the air filter looked pretty new.

Once I get that set and run it for a while what else should I look into? Any advice appreciated.
The bike has 28k miles.

Wow! Sounds like you got ripped off!! Being a caring fellow inmate I'll take it off your hands and give you $100 to boot!
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
I would not start it again until you:
A) change the engine oil and the filter.
B) at least LOOK at the gear oil to make sure it's not contaminated with water. You may be surprised what you find.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I would not start it again until you:
A) change the engine oil and the filter.
B) at least LOOK at the gear oil to make sure it's not contaminated with water. You may be surprised what you find.

That's the plan, I bought BMW engine and gear oil along with oil filter. I hope to have both changed out by lunch tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Wow! Sounds like you got ripped off!! Being a caring fellow inmate I'll take it off your hands and give you $100 to boot!

Well let me at least clean it up and take care of the service first...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
That's the plan, I bought BMW engine and gear oil along with oil filter. I hope to have both changed out by lunch tomorrow.
Oil changes require a little bit of reading up front to avoid some potentially hugely expensive pitfalls. Don't try to just figure it out as you go. Read this:
http://largiader.com/tech/filters/

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,612
Quote:
Well let me at least clean it up and take care of the service first...
Now that's the ADV spirit!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote