Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,693
Neutral switches SUCK!!! There, I said it..... Hopefully that thing is just dirty. I suggest removing the tank and cleaning ALL electrical connectors with some electrical cleaning spray and applying a little dielectric grease. It may sort out your other electrical problems. The neutral switch is on the bottom of the trans with 2 wires. it's a bitch to get at, needle nose pliers and a deep breath. remove wires and clean connections. Also, check the 2 fuses under the front of the tank. 7.5 amp fuses.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,838
Like with any used bike that sat around it's always a good idea to figure out why it sat
then take care of those things and the stuff that goes bad from the bike sitting.

I like to change the fluids, and on airheads I'll also pull the oil pan and clean it out, make sure the pick up screen is on and the bolts holding it in place are snug.

When you get into the carbs pull the needles and make sure they and their jets are in good shape, if they are worn replace them. also make sure the carb diaprams are nice and soft and pliable.

Double check the carb insulators especially from the airbox to the carbs.

There's a number on the tire after the word DOT that's the tires age. There are online calculators that will show you when your tire was made. If it's more then 5 years old, don't put a lot of trust in it, even if it looks good and doesn't show cracks
It should be good for the first few 1000 miles if you don't push it.

Also check the rear wheel for sounds of bad tranny and or drive shaft. There's lots of tips on how to do that on line and in this forum.

There's tons of information about how the circlip is going to cause your tranny to blow up and the drive shaft is ready to fail. or your oil filter canister is sinking,

Take what you learn from internet experts with a grain of salt. Lots of them know what they are talking about.
Some know some. and some know nothing. THe challenge of BMW ownership is figureing out who's who.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,884
Nice find! There's a lot of 'Airhead talent' in the Atlanta area ... let us know if you need something ...

Atlanta BMW on Cobb Parkway is great. Bill Kurtz there is great. The locals got some skilz too!

But listen to diston, AW, squish ... and the rest. They'll steer you right.

Congrats, and welcome to the asylum!!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,000
We all have these lists in our brains. It's good to exercise them a little. I also didn't think of bearings and it's usually the first thing I do look at.

I just thought I would say so far it's seems a pretty complete list. There is one thing that is of the utmost importance and it's another thing that I didn't mention. See my Airhead is older. My vintage does not have this problem. It has to do with changing the engine oil and care of the engine's oiling system. Airhead Wrangler mentioned it and also gave the link to Anton's site for the run down. Post #14 in this thread. Don't miss it.

It's called the $2,000 O-ring for a reason. If you have trouble understanding this one we'll try to give you some extra clues.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Oddometer: 143
Congratulations on a great find, Kbdakar. I just bought a '93 GSPD that looks exactly like yours. It has been ridden continuously and well cared for, so it doesn't need to be spruced up the way yours does, but I appreciate your questions nonetheless. I'll be watching this thread and hoping to learn a lot about caring for these nifty old machines. Actually, I've already learned some things here, like how to watch for correct parts when changing the oil filter. There's a vast store of wisdom here at ADV rider, and the airhead guys in particular seem very willing to help a brother out.

Here is a thread about my first ride on the '93:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805255

Best of luck getting yours into proper shape! By the way, if by chance you're inclined to sell that sissy bar/backrest, please PM me. I could use something like that, as I have younger kids who want to go along with me on some adventures.
Pica Hudsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Ok been riding instead of getting the BMW going, but now I have the fluids done installed stock seat, rack and bags.
Still on the list is fork oil, final drive and a few other things, but off to a good start.

Kbdakar is offline   Reply With Quote