User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Nialis OP
Super Motarded

Oddometer: 537
Laugh Flying Gumby

So I had just dropped a young lady off at my office after we had gone for a ride. I never even dismounted my trusty GS. I started riding down the road, all was well with the world, then I woke up in an ambulance with EMT's screaming at me, asking me what my name was, was in I pain, where did it hurt?!?! So I told them my name, and they all looked puzzled, they asked again and once again I got this look... So they told me they were airlifting me to Mission Hospital... Apparently what was coming out of my mouth sounded nothing like what I was saying in my head They asked me if there was anyone they could contact and I tried to explain to call my friend where he worked and so on, then they asked if there was someone else and obviously suffering from a head injury I asked them to call me soon to be ex wife.

Anyway Don't remember much of the ambulance ride or Heli ride... I kinda came to in the ER of mission when they had me in a CT machine. And I felt pretty good so I figured I would start hitting on the nurses and trying to make them feel a little better because they all had this freaked out look on their faces every time they looked at me. I kept hearing bits and pieces of what happened, someone turned left in front of me... I flew 20 feet, then it was 25feet, then I hear "no it was 25 feet vertical", then I hear 25' vertical and 40' down the road, according to EMT's who happened to be right behind me. Later find out it was 37' so good job estimating flight distance guys! According to the guys in the meat wagon following me., I never even hit my brakes, and the bike catapulted me uber high when I plowed into the front of the oncoming Chevy Malibu, I landed on my head and shoulder, settling on my face and stomach. Leg bleeding, ankle twisted up behind me. They literally brought the sheet out and put it over me as they thought I was dead. ...

Then as one of the EMT's was screaming at me to see if I was alive, I was wearing so much gear they were having trouble getting it off me to get a pulse, I groaned. Minutes later they had my lid off, everything cut off me, and rolling in the ambulance. I literally walked out of the hospital 6 hours later, with the following damage: Laceration on my left leg which had I not been on my BMW I would have lost that leg when the car hit me in the front left of the bike. Some broken ribs, 3 compressed disks, pretty awesome concussion, and a twisted ankle... Everyone is amazed I came out as good as I did, and I keep telling them it's all about the gear! , hell half the town I live in is still thinking I am dead which is the most entertaining bit of all this. My 03 R1150GS Adventure is a total loss, the Chevy Malibu is also totaled (heheheh). I doubt this guy has the insurance to cover medical bills so I have already lawyered up.

Gear I was wearing:
Shark Evoline Helmet -destroyed but saved my life!
Deathrage Kevlar Guntlets - still ok!
Tourmaster Intake 2 Jacket - other than being cut off me would have been fine except for a very minor scuff on the left shoulder.
Sidi moto boots- still good
Hollister Jeans - didn't help me, didnt hurt me, they still got cutoff tho :(

Will take pics and edit this post in a bit my back is killing me and I need to lay down and drug up for a bit.

All the pieces of my helmet that had been recovered, some parts had been recovered at the impact site others near my body.

The car I killed...

00' Aprilia Pegaso Cube "Pandora"
78' Suzi GS 750E
74' Harly Ableson Sportster
49' Hardly Davidson "Panny"

Love of My life...
88' Honda NT650GT "Pagosa" You will always be missed

Nialis screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 06:56 PM Reason: pics
Nialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,301
Thats gotta be scary having a crash like that and waking up not knowing whats going on! Glad you made it out relatively unhurt!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,664
Damn, thats scary. One of my worst fears, all of the sudden waking up in a ambulance or hospital after an accident and not knowing the details that got me there. What happened to the cage driver? I hope they got a ticket and your lawyers pin their ears back.

You're a very lucky man to have as little damage as you do. Heal fast and hope you get a good replacement bike.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
They let you out in 6 hours? Damn! I had a lot fewer injuries than that (3 compression fractures) and they didn't let me go for 2 and a half days. They attempted to let me walk out after about 3 hours (before finding the compression fractures) but I threw up when I sat up to sign the discharge papers in the ER.

Good luck man. Glad you're recovering.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
+1 for hitting on the nurses and pics!!!!!!!!!!!
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,940
Jesus!!!!! Wow, glad you're alright!!! So I'm assuming the cager stopped, and what luck having the emt's behind you. Somebody up there likes you!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Nialis OP
Super Motarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Jesus!!!!! Wow, glad you're alright!!! So I'm assuming the cager stopped, and what luck having the emt's behind you. Somebody up there likes you!
cager didn't have a choice, I demolished his car :)
78' Suzi GS 750E

Love of My life...
Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
Good thinking on your part to let the young lady off before the wreck.

Somehow, women do not appreciate this kind of thing...
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Bobblehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Whoa. Lucky man. Lottery ticket time!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Whoa. Lucky man. Lottery ticket time!
Nah. Luckier girl. She should get the ticket.
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
I knew as soon as you told the medics to call your soon-to-be-ex-wife that you had a serious brain injury, no need for a scan . Neither of my ex-wives would have come to my rescue in that situation because one of the a$$et$ to be split had been destroyed, so why bother, nothing to see here.

I'm glad you're mostly OK, very sorry about your GS, and very glad the bike killed the car that killed it. I watched a huge mule deer kill a conventional Kenworth tractor once, punched out the radiator as it's last move, and I thought the deer must have gotten some measure of satisfaction from that.

Heal well, watch for delayed trauma (seriously - things may crop up that you weren't aware of initially), and get back on the horse ASAP. BTW, I've met some very lovely physical therapists...

Doug
Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Holy cow! Sounds like you came out of it fairly well all things considered.

Hope you heal up quickly and well.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
Dave W.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I am relieved to read you were wearing gear and it did its job! sounds like a close call!

I was an EMT for about 3 years and you just see some weird shit- you gave those guys a story!
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Nialis OP
Super Motarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
I am relieved to read you were wearing gear and it did its job! sounds like a close call!

I was an EMT for about 3 years and you just see some weird shit- you gave those guys a story!

One of my riding buddies (who's gf was the one on my bike minutes before the accident) is a firefighter and he said he heard these EMT's come on the radio freaked the f*ck out and he said they never ever freak out. So must have been a pretty epic crash from their vantage point, wish I could have gotten it on video ...
78' Suzi GS 750E

Love of My life...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Fuuuuck

Been there man! F@$&! I came around a corner at 55-60mph on the Pan American highway in Ecuador, and a pedestrian was on the side of the road. It was the last thing I remember until I woke up in the front seat of an ambulance, hauling ass down the highway, while carrying my laptop case and tank bag (complete with passports, money, and camera). Story goes that I was collecting all my gear when they found me.

The EMT's were all yelling profusely, apparently I had been having a unintelligible conversation entirely in Fluent Spanish. I saw the instant change on their faces when I came too, as I started speaking actual words (that I remember) and began answering their questions.

That's when I noticed the pedestrian was in the back of the ambulance with an oxygen mask on. He was extremely drunk, later to be found with a .25+ Blood Alcohol Content. At the hospital the police told me the story. He walked out in front of me, and I hit him head on. There was no sign of having used the brakes. I got launched over the handle bars and slid face first for over 100 feet. 30 minutes before, I had zipped my Rev'it pants to my matching jacket because it was slightly chilly. I walked away from the hospital with a cracked collarbone and bruised sternum, both of which healed with simple rest. The only blood was a very minor rash on the left knee that scabbed the same night. The cops told me the man would likely die. But, thankfully, the 60yr old Ecuadorian farmer survived 8 broken ribs, a punctured lung, a broken elbow, broken arm, broken leg, and fractured skull.

Neither of us paid a dime for hospital care.

I fixed my 2008 DR650 for $32. Headlight, front brake master cylinder/lever assembly, and 4 new turn signals.

I too laughed a bit at the situation. Fuck man. People die when they hit birds, dogs, or worse a dear. Right? I mean, I hit a MAN and we both lived.

You hit a damn CAR.

Shit!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote