User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
MNMike OP
Oooh, what are these?

Oddometer: 64
Day Trippin' Wannabe - Mantoulin Island

It has been too many years since I mapped this trip and haven't done it.

I want to start in Minneapolis, ride through Northern Wisconsin into the UP of Michigan, cross into Canada at Sault Ste Marie, ride onto Mantoulin Island and take the Tobermory Ferry, visit Toronto, St. Thomas, ON, and take the High Speed Ferry across Lake Michigan on the way back. 34 hours of riding time. Motel/Tent hybrid trip.

Any tips, hot spots, or interest in going? I'm looking at August or late July.
MNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
kazabazua
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Go all the way out to the Mississagi Lighthouse campsite - just the right mix of Great Lakes history + Deliverance! Couple of hours out and back.

Do the rail trail from Espanola on to the Island at Little Current. Decent level of epicness depending on your bike.

Providence Bay is a nice beverage stop - don't make eye contact with that German guy, though.

Fun geographic fact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Island_(Ontario)
kazabazua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
B10Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
StThomas?

In your proposed itinerary you mention StThomas. Any particular reason for that stop? There are a couple of small museums there and a lifesize statue of Jumbo the elephant who was killed by a train in the late 1800's. Also a very nice craft brewery called Railway City Brewery. I ask because I live only about 10 miles east of StThomas...Dave
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
MNMike OP
Oooh, what are these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B10Dave View Post
In your proposed itinerary you mention StThomas. Any particular reason for that stop? There are a couple of small museums there and a lifesize statue of Jumbo the elephant who was killed by a train in the late 1800's. Also a very nice craft brewery called Railway City Brewery. I ask because I live only about 10 miles east of StThomas...Dave
I have family there.

MNMike screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 02:58 PM
Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
canadashielddirt
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 120
The island

Lots of good sites and roads to travel on, been there many times. Depends what you want for your trip? I suggest Carol and Earl's Diner in South Baymouth. Its entertaining and way tooo much food. Willisville is also an interesting detour only 2 minutes off Hwy 6 and app 25 km south of Espanola. Awesome view just as you turn off the Hwy. Red Lodge is a good place to stay. Kagawog is scenic too......
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
MNMike OP
Oooh, what are these?

Mantoulin Island Trip is coming together

I'm planning to take this trip the first week of August, and will be passing through Eagle River, WI for some reason... Proposed stops at Eagle River, the East UP, Mantoulin Island, Toronto, St. Thomas, Milwaukee. Leaving Minneapolis on the 1st, returning on the 10th. With 35 hours of total driving time, there should be plenty of time for shenanigans along the way. I'm still trying to decide if I want to shell out the ~$125 to take the Lake Express. I'm not convinced I want to ride through the Chicago area.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #7
spudboy52
Almost a Yooper

Oddometer: 40
MNMike,
I recommend the Keweenaw, ... the upper peninsula's upper peninsula. At points it has some good elevation above the lake. If you like big water, big trees, big rocks, big views and friendly people, the Keweenaw is fantastic. It is the same piece of old volcanic rock that makes up Isle Royale. However it is a bit of a side trip given that it is really not on the way to anywhere. Photo is of me and my brother above Lake Superior, -- I'm the better looking one!

spudboy52 screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 06:52 AM
spudboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote