Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Commuter Boy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,928
Class Action Suit: BMW $500 Recall Clearance Ltr

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/579370730.html

"Have you been forced to pay $500 to BMW Canada (or any other motorcycle importer) for a "Recall Clearance Letter" in order to import a motorcycle from the United States? If so, please contact me - I am a lawyer putting together a class action suit to arrange for refunds of all such fees on the footing that they are an unlawful tariff or duty on importation and constitute an unlawful restraint of trade."

You know what I know....
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,389
I hope BMW gets an ass kickin in court over this one
Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
cokeslurpee
Banned

Oddometer: 537
damn somebody beat me to it

thats good though
let's hope it send a message to all those greedy bastards
cokeslurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,819
Thumb

Right fuckin' on
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,740
I hate lawyers but I hate BMW Canada's policies even more. Go get 'em boys!

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
SubMann
Vancouver Island, fun fun

Oddometer: 34
BMW Canada

So BMW is the only brand (in Canada) that I know of that lowered their prices A LOT for 2008. Anyone else? Where the post about that?

Let see, it should read "Those greedy bastards at BMW lowered their prices so that they could sell more bikes and make more money, thus taking more money from the Canadian riding public." Bad BMW!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
This doesn't have anything to do with the price of a motorcycle in a BMW shop. It has to do with the cost of a "service" which amounts to nothing more than printing out a piece of paper. When I imported my BMW into Canada from the States (in 2005), my recall clearance letter took about 15 seconds to print out and cost nothing. BMW Canada changed its policy because people started buying all their bikes in the USA after the US dollar dropped. Basically, all they were trying to do was make life more difficult for their customers, because they didn't want to let them do what they were legally entitled to do -- cross border shop. It boils down to a bad decision by BMW Canada and their dealer network -- inflexible prices that do not adjust to market realities is bad for everyone. Hopefully BMW Canada will wake up to the 21st century and get a modern pricing policy.

Right on Dont waste anymore time on that ------Guy. Commuter Boy, Good for you man. I wish you all success.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Jlsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/579370730.html

"Have you been forced to pay $500 to BMW Canada (or any other motorcycle importer) for a "Recall Clearance Letter" in order to import a motorcycle from the United States? If so, please contact me - I am a lawyer putting together a class action suit to arrange for refunds of all such fees on the footing that they are an unlawful tariff or duty on importation and constitute an unlawful restraint of trade."

You know what I know....
I have responded to the ad and requested further information. We'll see what comes back.

Jlsa.
Jlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 235
BMW USA was great when I called their number last August (07) for the recall clearance on my recently purchased used US bike for import into Kanada. Got my fax number and faxed me a letterhead form to my office with my VIN and the fact that there were no recalls. No charge. Sorry to hear they have changed that policy. My guess is that once they smell a lawsuit coming they will revert to their polite tutonic selves.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
billy_037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Ktm

Does anyone know if KTM USA has the same philosophy as BMW. Will they provide me the letter of recall for free, or will send my first an enormous bill?

Thanks
billy_037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Jlsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMann
So BMW is the only brand (in Canada) that I know of that lowered their prices A LOT for 2008. Anyone else? Where the post about that?

Let see, it should read "Those greedy bastards at BMW lowered their prices so that they could sell more bikes and make more money, thus taking more money from the Canadian riding public." Bad BMW!
Let's quantify this... define "a lot". I know the MSRP is $16,750 CDN this year. I realize that it's dropped but I do not remember what it was in 2007.

If in fact it has dropped quite a bit I applaude BMW Canada's recognition of the change in the dollar. This however does not excuse them of greedy and unscrupulus buisness practices in another area IMHO. This is a a money grab plain and simple.

BMW NA could easily still release the recall letters in question for no cost and by email within the day. This is what they did for me 2 years ago and in fact for the last, oh I don't know since the RIV program was put in place! BMW Canada does not need to be involved, charge $500 and take 4 weeks to produce the letter. It's a 2 line form letter with the bikes serial number simply plugged in. I know from experience that looking up the recall status on the BMW system is a simple 1-2 minute matter.

Again IMHO, BMW Canada is just being opportunistic. Not what we should expect from a world class manufacture.

Jlsa
Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
I'm backing this & I hope everyone that had to pay gets some form of compensation & then BMW Canada changes their policy so I can get my new F800GS from the US.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast
I'm backing this & I hope everyone that had to pay gets some form of compensation & then BMW Canada changes their policy so I can get my new F800GS from the US.
Thats where I'll be buying my next one
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
Jlsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast
A thought here... It might not actually be workwhile in this particular case. All depends on the dollar at the exact moment you want to buy. I know it's $1730 difference in MSRP but you need to factor in as I said exchange at the time, cost of transport, RIV program, $500 BMW letter etc. Now if your lucky, BMW may have dropped the recall letter cost by then.

Obviously the more expensive the bike the more sense it makes to shop in the US. On my barely used R1200GS from the US it made around $3300 to $3600 CDN difference.

Just something to think about.

Jlsa.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Dispatcher
FireDispatcher

Oddometer: 184
Not to hi-jack the thread......sort of on the same topic...

Does anyone know any details on the Recall Clearance Letter from TRIUMPH?

I was told by a local dealer that TRIUMPH WILL NOT issue a letter to import from the US into Canada.

Any input, suggestions or places to look for the info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Disp...
Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote