Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 736
Key West FL to Deadhorse AK- Scenic road in FL to GA/AL?

What route would you recommend taking from Key West out of FL to GA or Alabama? Would like to avoid using Interstate as much as possible although making the way to KW using I-95 from home in NC.

Thanks in advance for replying.. Oh yes, I have Access Passes allowing me to camp out at National Park/National Forest campground for free so a plus if passing through or near the park/forest.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Its my opinion that riding in south Florida pretty much sucks for getting from point A to point B. I live down here and when I travel out of the state I run the turnpike to I-75 north of Orlando and out of the state that way. The side roads are heavy traffic and although scenic through 'glades and forests to north, they are straight and boring and not worth the hassles of the traffic if you are trying to actually get somewhere on the simplest of schedules. Once you get above Orlando or about Fort Myers on the west coast the backroads thin out a bit, but for the most part........run the turnpike. The turnpike is actually pretty scenic above the Fort Pierce exit!!

I am sure others will disagree, but I run out of the state enough to know that leaving from Homestead, I will leave the night before my first full day of the trip to knock out 4 or 5 hours just so it doesn't seem like forever in FLA. Its like 450 miles from end to end on the mainland and then another 130 miles to Key West!!! oh and if you head west out the panhandle then add another couple hundred miles or so!!!

Hit me up on a PM or send phone number and I will give you some travel ideas for the Overseas Highway down to KW, what to do in KW, and some fun stuff to ride around south FLA if you have time.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Yup, I agree. +1
Flashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
What route would you recommend taking from Key West out of FL to GA or Alabama? Would like to avoid using Interstate as much as possible although making the way to KW using I-95 from home in NC.

Thanks in advance for replying.. Oh yes, I have Access Passes allowing me to camp out at National Park/National Forest campground for free so a plus if passing through or near the park/forest.
If you're trying to make good time without paying a crapload of tolls, take US1N to I-95N ASAP, to Hwy 40W out of Ormond. Get gas in Ormond. Take Hwy 40W, to I-75N out of Ocala. It's actually kind of scenic, in a 50-70MPH-through-FL kind of way.

If you're not in a hurry, you can run US1 up to Hwy 997N, to catch Hwy 27N, to get up near Lake Okeechobee. Take Hwy 80E to Hwy 441N around Lake Okeechobee, up to Hwy 192W, over to Hwy 27N, to Hwy 441N again. Hwy 441 will take you all the way up to GA. You'll catch a lot of towns, but the miles between are country riding. I hope you have good fuel range. This route actually takes you through some small hills...a rarity in FL.

To see a bit more of Atlantic-side FL with restaurants, attractions, fuel, and even a bit of scenery, I'd run US1N up to catch I-95N in Miami, then cut over Hwy 80W/441N to Lake Okeechobee, riding up the east shore of the lake to Hwy 70E. Take Hwy 70E to US1N and continue up US1N past Daytona. Watch your speeds going through towns. The views of the river and woods are nice in places. Just past Daytona, turn left onto Hwy 40W in Ormond. Follow Hwy 40W out to Hwy 19N in Ocala National Forest. Take 19N up to Lake Kerr, where you can catch Hwy 316W to Hwy 441N or I-75N (non-toll). I-75 is pretty rural here, but speeds are high.

Watch out for FL drivers! It aint just the old folks either. Don't trust ANY drivers down here to not do something completely stupid. It's not usually congested outside of the bigger cities. Traffic is actually pretty light in most places, but driver training in this state must consist of just a pulse-check, and even that's suspect. If it's raining, know that the majority of cages are rolling on bald tires and have sun-cracked wipers.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 07:37 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
I agree with Kommando's routing from Homestead up around Okeechobee. I used that route every time when trailering to and from track days at Homestead. Can be way faster than I-95 when traffic gets jammed on the slab.

US 27 up through central FL can be scenic if you want to go west of Orlando. East of Orlando avoiding the slab you can make OK time on US 1 along the coast once you get up to about Stuart or Ft Pierce.If going that way I'd stay on US 1 through Melbourne, Cocoa, and Titusville on up to SR 44 at New Smyrna. Take 44 west to either US 17 or further west to SR 19. EDIT: Its slightly more direct if you turn north on US 17 and run up to SR 40 then over to SR 19 because 44 turns southward a little after you pass US 17 and get across the St Johns.. SR 19 has the advantage of bypassing Palatka where US 17 may cost you more time getting through town there.

At the edge of Palatka you do get onto US 17 on into Jax. Or take the SR 16 bridge across the St Johns and run SR/CR 13 up to I-295. This is scenic and not too slow - many miles along the St Johns riverfront with just homes and big oaks. Or short hop onto I-95/295 to get around Jax from somewhere before you get into city sprawl.. On the northwest side of Jax exit onto US 1 / US 23 and follow us 23 all the way to Macon, GA (my hometown, so I always use this route on the bike or in the car.)

Just some of my thoughts. I know some good routes up through GA, too. PM me with any questions about this part of FL or GA.

And by any chance are you retired or active duty military? I found a sweet stopover place earlier this year outside of Fort Gordon. Waterfront camping for $9. Or they have campers and cabins for a little more $$.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.

mark1305 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 08:50 AM
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Skimo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Can not help below Orlando, but the ideal is to head north west through the panhandle on your exit from Florida, From Groveland exit off Florida Turnpike head north on Hwy 19 which will take you to Ocala National Forest, take a right on Hwy 40 head west to Ocala, westside of Ocala pick up Hwy 27 to Williston stay on Hwy 27/41 to High Springs, Hwy 27/20 out of High Springs through Fort White, Branford, Mayo to Perry. This area is spring country several state parks and private camp grounds. This is the Florida most folks don't see. From Perry take Hwy 98 west to Newport then North on Hwy 267 (Bloxham Cutoff) to Bloxham. Hwy 267 cuts through Wakulla Springs State Park one the largest/deepest springs in Florida and also Apalachicola National Forest. Hwy 267 intersects Hwy 20 turn right to go west on Hwy 20 through Hosford, Bristol, Blountstown, Fountain, Ebro, Freeport all the way to Niceville. Out of Niceville take Hwy 85 north through Eglin AFB reservation to Crestview. Take Hwy 90/10 west out of Crestview to pick up Hwy 4 through Black Water Management Area to Flomaton, Alabama.
Skimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
[QUOTE
Watch out for FL drivers! It aint just the old folks either. Don't trust ANY drivers down here to not do something completely stupid. It's not usually congested outside of the bigger cities. Traffic is actually pretty light in most places, but driver training in this state must consist of just a pulse-check, and even that's suspect. If it's raining, know that the majority of cages are rolling on bald tires and have sun-cracked wipers.[/QUOTE]

Oh so very true!!! I always tell people that come down here that is not a matter of IF someone will do something stupid in front of you, its a matter of WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and turn signals are a high dollar option that most FLA drivers chose not to purchase with their vehicles!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
mark1305

I just put an Edit in my post above to clarify something about the SR 44/US 17/SR 19 option.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
SteveJ
n00b, but I have beer...

Oddometer: 124
http://goo.gl/maps/vadY0

A mixture of tollway/freeway is included in the above map.

Some POIs on your way:

Gator Joe's Oklawaha
Alabama Jacks Card Sound Rd, Key Largo
No Name Pub Big Pine Key
Gas station in Keenansville has decent Q
Mama's Italian next to Days Inn in Perry
Good Q in Woodville(so of Tally), just north of 267 on 363 a few miles on your left.

Camping at Ocala National Forest at many locations. Juniper Springs and Alexander Springs have showers. If staying at Juniper, be sure to check out the walking trail.

Also, whatever you do, avoid US 27 between Lake Placid and Clermont. There are now almost sixty traffic lights on this stretch, along with a lot of blue hairs and truck traffic. Ugly.

Good Luck!
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 736
My apology for being rude but wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and share some suggestions and feedback.. Many of suggestions and feedbacks were good and I will look into few POIs before laying down some routes heading out of FL. I try to not use the same route twice so there are plenty of routes to consider getting out.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
mark1305

You're cool. Have fun whichever way you go.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Once out of the Keys, you can use US41, US27, or US19 (at Tampa) to head north thru Florida.
US41 will take you thru the Everglades (actually, miles and miles of boring grasslands), along the coast for a while, then ride up thru the middle of the state.
If you get on US19 at Tampa, US19 stays to the west side of the state, pretty straight and boring (but most of the state is boring if you are not actually riding next to the oceans).
US 27 stays in the middle of the state until you get to Gainesville, then it hits northwest, actually more little hills and curves then US19, (I prefer riding US27 than US19, but you can make better time on US19) but south of Gainesville there are a lot of stoplights.
If you taking a leisurely ride out of the state, US27 or US41.
US41 becomes part of I-75 just south of the Florida/Ga border

If you take US19 north out of Tampa to Chiefland, you can then take US129 out of the state, thru Georgia, into NC and Tennesee, this is also known as the Dragon at Deals Gap.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Its my opinion that riding in south Florida pretty much sucks for getting from point A to point B. I live down here and when I travel out of the state I run the turnpike to I-75 north of Orlando and out of the state that way. The side roads are heavy traffic and although scenic through 'glades and forests to north, they are straight and boring and not worth the hassles of the traffic if you are trying to actually get somewhere on the simplest of schedules. Once you get above Orlando or about Fort Myers on the west coast the backroads thin out a bit, but for the most part........run the turnpike. The turnpike is actually pretty scenic above the Fort Pierce exit!!
Have to agree 100%. Plus you've banked a few extra hours by slabbing it to where the fun, scenic roads are.

N of Orlando exit the turnpike at sr19 then backtrack a couple miles on us27 then N on 561, W on 441, N on 44, N on Lisbon Rd./Emeralda Island Rd., N on 452, W on sr42, N on 182 ave, left at stop, N on 314a, right on 314, N on 180 ave (hard clay forest road), W on 316, N on 315 to Orange Springs. N on 21, left on 20a, N on 21, left on sr100, W on sr18, N on 131, W on 240, N on 137, W on I-10, exit at us90 and take to Madison. From there either stay on us90 to I-10 just east of Tallahassee, or N out of Madison on 146 till it loops back to us90 at Monticello (obviously out of the way but a very nice road if you have time). Here I'd get back on the slab and get moving again.

It's a pretty good sampling of some of Florida's better mcy. roads, some hills, curves, and w/o much traffic, rare commodities around here. Plus it keeps you heading NW, you've got a long ways to go. If you're interested I can draw it up on mapsource and send you the file. As far as camping I'd recommend State Parks over National Forests in Fla. (it's only about $10. for tent camping), two nice ones close to the route are Goldhead Branch SP and O'Leno SP.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote