User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Laminar Lip?

Anyone have any experience with these. I ride a K75 S and with the stock windshield, I get whistling in my helmet. I'm 6'3" tall, so sit a little higher than average. The wind hitting my helmet is clean, no buffeting, but my helmet, a modular Nolan, whistles. I've tried foam ear plugs, which I just can't get to work. My molded ear plugs reduce my hearing too much for safety. Any advice appreciated!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Lip

I have one I move form my GSA and my KLR
It works great. 650rider
650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
I bought two for my 2006 Multistrada. One was for the original windshield, the other was for Laminar's own touring windshield. In both cases it made things worse. Waste of money.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Make sure your helmet's faceshield gasket seals properly and completely to the faceshield when closed.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,927
i have one on my f650cs. it creates a slightly larger pocket behind the windshield, but nothing dramatic.

as to the whistling, see if there are any restrictions in your vents, or if the sound is coming when air enters a vent a certain way. i have one vent that whistles when i turn my head.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 271
I have a laminar lip on my SV650S and a helmet that whistles.

Do you know what part of the helmet whistles? I would recommend determining that first. Start taping up the vents and seams with electrical tape until it goes away.

On my Arai RX-Q, it was the vents on top of the helmet. The laminar lip wasn't tall enough to do anything about it. I just taped over the vents with electrical tape to solve the problem.

I love foam earplugs but I have molded ones as well. My helmet puts pressure on the molded plugs which causes discomfort and usually compromises the seal. For me, foam works better. I've been wearing foam twice a day, 5 days a week for the last 5 years.

Material, shape/size, and technique are all required to achieve their rated performance. If you wish to give foam another chance, I would recommend hitting up earplugstore.com and buy an assortment pack. I would also reanalyze your insertion technique to ensure you're getting a good seal. I settled on this earplug.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,984
Earplugs will cure it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I've had 3 Lips over the past few years. It really depends on the bike and the shield as to whether or not it's a waste of money or a good investment. Think about it... it's unrealistic to expect that a one-size fits all style solution will work well on any bike and any shield with any rider.

Here's my experience:

2002 R1150R, BMW Comfort Screen: I couldn't tell any difference that the Lip made. None. I took it off, put it on, took it off, put it on, nothing. I eventually just left it off, then sold it.

2001 K1200RS, Stock Shield: The Lip reduced wind noise, turbulence, and pressure on the chest. The difference wasn't dramatic, but it was probably a worthwhile purchase.

2001 K1200RS, BMW Comfort Screen: Without the Lip, this was the worst POS screen I ever owned. It was all buffeting and noise. I bought a Lip for it and the Lip transformed this clunker of a shield into the best shield I ever owned. I had 5 shields for this bike, and once I tried the Comfort screen with the Lip, I never swapped screens again. It stayed on there until I sold the bike.
BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Thanks for the advice to everyone. I'll experiment a bit. Any other suggestions welcome.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Make sure your helmet's faceshield gasket seals properly and completely to the faceshield when closed.

^^^ This ^^^
Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Hawk28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Lip works for me

On my R850R this combo changed annoyingly noisy to barely noticeable: Lip, foam earplugs , one piece ( not modular ) helmet. I my case I have had a RF800 and then RF1000. The Shoei mesh chin curtain (about $13) does wonders to cut down on noise in helmet. Modulars seem to be noisier, especially around hinges or mated areas,

P.S, Put Lip on my Fjr and it helps even on this faired bike
Hawk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk28 View Post
...one piece ( not modular ) helmet. I my case I have had a RF800 and then RF1000. The Shoei mesh chin curtain (about $13) does wonders to cut down on noise in helmet. Modulars seem to be noisier, especially around hinges or mated areas,
Same for me. I have a laminar lip along along with a full face and a modular helmet. The lip corrected the noise problem with the full face helmet, but the modular is still noisey. For me it seems like a lot depends on my helmet as much as my windscreen.
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
I once dated a girl, (mah cousin) with a hair lip. Iz that the same?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
IMHO, they help. I've had at least five of them, and both my bikes have one right now.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I'm 6-2" and find the K75S LL to be so-so at best. Puts the wind up a bit but not by much. If you want real protection then get an Aeroflow K75S windscreen. Not the purdiest thing on the planet but very functional.

LL:

Aeroflow:

duck is offline   Reply With Quote