User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
0405canvet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
DR Tuning, mufflers with mid pipes!

Upgrade your stock DR with GSXR muffler and mid-pipe! Mufflers in stock, again!! Carb tuning and header grind $75. Brisbane area.

0405canvet screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 02:17 AM
0405canvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,956
gordon asked me a few months back to do an objective review of his mods so he took his time to do them in stages and ride the DR in between to get a sense of what difference each mod made.

full disclosure, i've got to know him well in the mean time but haven't changed the original review i did back then. also, my first DR650 had the GSXR pipe and DJ jetting kit so it was interesting to see how his mods compared....

first, the GSXR pipe and his custom midpipe on on the otherwise stock bike. air/fuel screw out to 1.5 turns. i've heard people say the stock pipe isn't that restrictive but a very noticeable power increase all over, particularly low to midrange. impressive, given this is a no. 35 gsxr pipe and isn't much louder than the stock pipe.

second, drilled the top of the airbox. as per earlier posts, auscanvet doesn't go as large a hole as recommended after many hours of experimenting. felt like a drop in power down low but once the bike warmed up again it felt like the first run so nothing lost or gained according to my (highly unreliable) butt dyno. for me this confirms what everyone says, not point modding the airbox till you change the jetting.

third, put in the 155 jet from the DJ kit, the DJ needle, and a slide drilled to the usual specs and shorter spring. nice! another very noticeable improvement across the rev range, particularly low to mid range. i was expecting to really notice a top end improvement with the bigger main jet but it wasn't huge considering the gains already with the pipe... i expect this is just the nature of the DR engine though, and possibly due to not going to the 160 jet as i wanted to retain fuel economy. noticeable punch happening now too, the drilled slide and shorter spring work well. DR pulled very nicely from low revs, especially in fifth gear. bike starts almost before you touch the button! remember DJ and mikuni numbers differ so the DJ 155 main jet is about a 145 mikuni.

fourth, this time we put in Auscanvet's modified stock needle, and a slide where he has drilled the holes out larger than normal. this is the interesting bit! yet another noticeable improvement in low to mid range power and pick up. normally trying to pull the DR into a stand up wheelie in stock third gear takes some effort but now it was almost effortless. no offence the much respected DJ mob, as their kit does work great. but this slightly different taper on the stock needle does seem to work very nicely. hard to tell, but i think it pulled a bit better from very low revs too. deliberately overloaded it up hills at low revs and it just tractored away nicely. it did with the DJ kit too, but i think just a bit better with the modded stock needle. bit of popping on deceleration so brought the fuel air screw out to two turns.

Auscanvet is reporting 23km/l or 54 US MPG or 65MPG UK with his setup. i used to get 20km/l with easy adventure riding on my first DR with the DJ kit and GSXR pipe, averaging 21- 22 km/l now with the GSXR pipe and canvet's mods so there appears to be an improvement in fuel economy too.

these are NOT my dyno charts below, but from local guys who had the same mods done by auscanvet and compared to a bone stock DR. i'll see if i can chase him up for any relevant details on the dyno charts....

AFTER THE MODS

BEFORE THE MODS

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
0405canvet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

dyno charts

The dyno charts were supplied to me by friends that went to a professional tuner who has a Dynojet dyno. I was not with them. The first bike charts are from my old bike that had about 9000 kms, sold to Stuart. GSXR #35 muffler with midpipe, drilled slide (2-3.2mm holes), cut return spring, needle third clip with plastic spacer "d" shaped, tapered stock needle, air box opened to approximately extra 51mm hole and DJ #155 main. Starts and runs great.
Second set of charts are from Gary's bike and bone stock with under 2000km's on it I believe. Riding impressions of before and after mods similar to above post from B1. Seat of the pants dyno results verified. More torque but less outright horsepower may be found using a #24 Hayabusa muffler and maybe more torque and more horsepower from using a #40 GSXR muffler. Charts for both pipes will be posted after the new year when time allows more dyno runs. Gordon
Old 12-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
The Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Gordon today and having him do the exhaust and midpipe, carby mods and airbox mods, along with a few unrelated things.
We changed the front sprocket from 14 tooth back to the stock 15 tooth. I was not expecting the biggest difference and would have been happy if, after changing from 14 to 15, it would perform the same after the mods.

Well, after experiencing great hospitality and being able to pick the brain of a master of DR's, the bike was back together and ready to ride. Impressions far exceeded my expectations. The exhaust is not to loud, but in my opinion is just perfect. And the performance! Why is it not like this from factory? After spending a couple of hours on it this afternoon, and relearning to ride it as the front wheel kept wanting to come off the ground, I have come to the conclusion that this is the best money I have spent on my DR. It has completely transformed it into the bike it should be.

Thanks again to Gordon, I would highly recommend these mods to anyone even contemplating it.

Josh

Just starting my Adventure

The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
hey Gordon

You got much experience with the TM-40 pumper carb? Mine needs some tweaking.

Cheers
Mark
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
0405canvet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Racca, pm sent.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
The Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Well Ive had the chance to ride the bike over the last few days putting over 1000km on it in this time. 50/50 on road off road. My fuel consumption was consistently 5.5l/100km before Gordon had a play. Its now averaging 4.7l/100km.
When I was there Gordon still had a few pipes there, so if your keen, I would get onto him. Best money I have spent since owning the bike.

Just starting my Adventure

The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
spun
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

The exhaust change, new mid pipe and carbie mods have really made a difference to my bike.
Highly recommended for anybody wanting more power, better throttle response, increased fuel efficiency and a far better sound.
Great value!

Many thanks Gordon for the work you carried out on my DR650 and the time you spent explaining each process ... I learnt a lot!
Cheers
spun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Nalo
Village Idiot's PA

Oddometer: 5
Wink Another satisfied customer!

Howdy folks. Also got the pleasure of meeting 0405canvet (and B1 at the same time) recently. Love your work 0405canvet but the value was more in spending time with you and learning from you. Thank you also for the "test ride" up Mt Mee, sorry we missed others but it was definitely a good blast. For others reading this - bought a GSXR (size24) pipe with custom midpipe and had the four mods outlined by B1's review of his work done. The power increase was immediately noticable and my 2010 DR650SE sounds more manly now. Am new at all this but learnt so much and really enjoyed it. It's rather odd but there's a science to it - this morning I rode into work and followed a gentleman on a 95 model so we had a quick chat at the lights. It's a given how fantastic the DR is but since I got mine, I've just been lucky to meet a whole lot of genuine and interesting folks. Thanks heaps 0405canvet. See you all around folks.
Nalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

good to meet you mr nalo. canvet does seem to know what he's doing, at least when it comes to DRs if not actually riding them. hope to catch you on a DR ride soon.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
petemoss
Having a look around

Oddometer: 410
I've also had the GSXR muffler, mid pipe, header grind and carby mods done. Bike was 200k's old when done. Noticed immediate changes as soon as I rode out from Gordon's place. I'm running the bike in so have been particularly careful to prevent "loading" and it is much easier to accelerate while in a lower gear without bogging it down. And the inbuilt human tacho says considerably lower revs for higher top end speed. Also fuelled up immediately after leaving Gordon's place and rode Mt Mee tar to Woodford, back to Dayboro via the dirt roads through D'Aguilar Forest and to D Bay. Up the Sunny Coast this morning on the freeway. Like I said running it in still but not babying it, rolling on and off throttle and going through gears etc. 4.2litres/100. Don't have a comparison on the first tank before mods done.

Thanks Gordon! Appreciate your time and hospitality
Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #12
stumps
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks 0405canvet

Another impressed DR owner with 0405canvet's work.
Slightly different initial setup for me having a Barrett pipe/mid section but not much else when I asked Gordon to look at my relatively new bike. It was running good but wanted to take a bit more advantage of the nice free flowing exhaust.
Gordon did his magic with his combination of header weld, carb jet, needle, slide and air box mods...and also gave me a few good tips and real experience based advice.

Quite simply my DR has been transformed. Torque is mega strong from off idle through to mid range and so smooth, but it will also boogie bigtime up high if I want.
Riding to work in the city today was effortless and so easy off the lights..which surprised me. Also seeing some great fuel economy for the power gain...around 22 km/l.

Thanks Dr. G.

stumps screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 02:54 AM Reason: forgot a couple of things.
stumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #13
Mosanator
DR dropper!

Oddometer: 24
Gordon sent me a mid pipe (A work of Art - beautiful) and #24 can and it fitted perfectly and looks like it belongs there.

Took it for a decent ride yesterday and I am one happy camper. Love the note, a bit louder than standard, but not too much. But that is not what is making me smile . The difference in the performance of the bike is great. Going up known rocky snarly hills that previously required a drop down into 1st, now is just a matter of more throttle and she just chugs on up. Pulls like a tractor.

I did a lot of research on what muffler to get and the only thing preventing me going the GXSR route was the mid pipe. Gordon solves that problem for Aussies with no welding/fabrication skills - even people with those skills, the hard work has been done for them.

I live at 800m above sea level and the only other engine mod is the removal of the snorkel. One day I might play with the carb, with some direction/help from afar.
Thanks Gordon.

Mosanator screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 06:50 PM
Mosanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosanator View Post
I live at 800m above sea level and the only other engine mod is the removal of the snorkel. One day I might play with the carb, with some direction/help from afar..
my butt dyno figured that the exhaust probably gives you about half of the potential gains (without big money on cams, big bore kits etc) and the carbie mods provide the other half. most of us seem to find the fuel economy doesn't change after the carbie mods so personally i'd say they would be worth looking into if and when you feel like completely unleashing the beast...

Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #15
Mosanator
DR dropper!

Oddometer: 24
[QUOTE=B1;23967326]my butt dyno figured that the exhaust probably gives you about half of the potential gains (without big money on cams, big bore kits etc) and the carbie mods provide the other half. most of us seem to find the fuel economy doesn't change after the carbie mods so personally i'd say they would be worth looking into if and when you feel like completely unleashing the beast...

Just filled her up - 236 k's = 14 litres. That's better
Mosanator is offline   Reply With Quote