User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
sharkojoints OP
is a bit slow sometimes..

Oddometer: 72
Getting my R80RT naked...

So, having got my rather grotty looking 1990 R80RT running right, I'm heading towards a decision on what to do with it.

I bought a 1200GS a month ago, which nicely takes care of long distance and bad weather rides, so I'd like the R80 for sunny days pottering about, really. Which makes me look critically at the heavy fairing on the front of it...

The fairing's a long way from mint: hacked about with by the police, with poor paint and a few cracks and repairs, so it's not like I'm destroying a gorgeous piece of originality. I've bought some headlamp mounting ears from Ebay, but notice that they're for a /7, and have an enlarged mounting hole on the left side:

Is there a way round this? Presumably some kind of rig up with a washer would work? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help, and any general tips on this conversion are welcome! :)
sharkojoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkojoints View Post
*** Thanks for any help, and any general tips on this conversion are welcome! :)
Free microfiche/PDF'S of the assemblies are available online from Max BMW -

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

That should give you a reference point. Congratulations on your purchase and good luck.

- Bob
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I am not too sure about your '90 headlight. But on my '84 R80RT removing the fairing requires a location for the ignition switch. The '84 headlight had the large hole on the left, so I was able to mount the ignition on the left side ear like the \7.

Naked R80 was a great feeling bike, removal of 50 pounds, you will like it
'95 R100R Classic
97oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97oilhead View Post
I am not too sure about your '90 headlight. But on my '84 R80RT removing the fairing requires a location for the ignition switch. The '84 headlight had the large hole on the left, so I was able to mount the ignition on the left side ear like the \7.

Naked R80 was a great feeling bike, removal of 50 pounds, you will like it

pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,377
The large hole in the headlight ears is for the ignition switch. And those are the ugliest ears I have ever seen. They seem almost ugly on purpose, like somebody made them this way on purpose.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
sharkojoints OP

Thanks guys. The fiches look useful - RealOEM seems to give a different p/n for the post '84 headlamp bucket, so it may be that the l/h side hole is closed up, meaning I won't be able to transfer the ignition key there. We'll see. Here's the unsuspecting victim:

The ears were very ugly, agreed. For that, however, they were cheap - <40 for the pair of ears and indicator stalks.

I think someone had sprayed them that sandy colour in order to create some kind of dubious Afrika Korps special. The pic of them earlier shows them covered with paint stripper in the sink in my garage. Later today all the horrid Afrika Korps Ebay bits had turned into this:

I'm not a great paintwork perfectionist, and most of the work on here puts me to shame, I know. I prefer riding to polishing and painting!

So, what have I missed? Is there anything else I need before I begin dismantling the fairing?

It looks like the fork leg top nuts will need to come off - 40mm spanner needed?
Old 07-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
e28rusty
Fool

Oddometer: 75
Do you have a plan for mirrors? I ended up using a napoleon I had lying around.
I skipped the headlight ears and cut up my fairing mount so my headlight is fixed straight to the frame for now. Mine is an 83 so I was able to put the key right into the headlight bucket, I suspect you will be able to as well, it may involve a drill, but I'm sure it'll fit .

e28rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 542
I have an 84 R80RT.

The key switch drops right into the headlight bucket and through the ears.

You will have some odd length wiring harness to deal with on some of the runs. I pulled any extra back under the tank.

DRAMATIC difference when the fairing comes off. I saved it for years kicking it around the garage....you will never put it back on...just sell it!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
I was riding in the 103F heat the other day and I did think about how nice it would be if I took the fairing off the RT, 15 minutes later I was riding through a thunderstorm and I thought . . . Nah.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,413
Ignition in the headlight bucket as the others have said, I've gone to the standard height bars which improves the riding position a lot but now I'm starting to think of moving the footpegs back a bit.... this is suppposed to be my coffee fetching bike, not another project!

Track days would be fun too......
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
sharkojoints OP

So, I got home from work and thought I'd make a start.

I used the Haynes manual, which is pretty accurate. First the front panel comes off:

Screws around the edge. So far so good.

Next the crash bars - the lower side panels share a mounting at the bottom of the engine, and also have cutouts around these, so they have to come off first:

The lower side panels are screwed onto the upper side panels with two screws and a nut and bolt - all accessed through the large side pockets of the upper fairing.

Luckily my lower side panels were split, and were capable of being separated and eased around the exhaust. Otherwise that would have had to come off too. Bike looks better already, I reckon:

Not many pics of the next stages - I got excited and carried away!

Basically:

- unscrew and remove front upper panel, de-locating the brake pipe union from its slot;
- disconnect the main electrics plug from the lh side of the fairing inner, plus any other attached wiring. I found some of mine had been cable tied to the fairing spider;
- unscrew the 4 screws holding the headlight tunnel and withdraw the tunnel;
- unscrew the four bolts holding the fairing to the spider. Most of mine were loose and the upper right was missing altogether: that'll explain why the rh side mirror was always blurry! The bolts don't all need to be removed completely - loose will do.
- lift the fairing off the bike, taking care to deal with all the wiring you forgot earlier...

And here you go:

I have a feeling the fork leg top nuts are not going to give up without a fight.

What's the size spanner I need for these - anyone know?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Ignition in the headlight bucket as the others have said, I've gone to the standard height bars which improves the riding position a lot but now I'm starting to think of moving the footpegs back a bit.... this is suppposed to be my coffee fetching bike, not another project!

Track days would be fun too......
HAHA! The same thing (basically) happened to me! I was looking here for how too's on Operation naked RT for my 85 R80RT after a 99 degree day of riding it. That same night, I rode it for the first time in the cool of a desert evening and fell in LOVE with the RT Fairing since I got caught out in a T shirt and light pants and the temp had dropped to about 65!. I am going to leave mine on but tighten it all up so it stops rattling.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkojoints View Post
What's the size spanner I need for these - anyone know?
I had a wrench from some old Airhead for the swing arm and fork nut.

I believe it was 27 and 36 mm. The 36mm was for the fork and usually involved a mallet if it had not been removed in a decade.
'95 R100R Classic
97oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
sharkojoints OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97oilhead View Post
I had a wrench from some old Airhead for the swing arm and fork nut.

I believe it was 27 and 36 mm. The 36mm was for the fork and usually involved a mallet if it had not been removed in a decade.
Thanks.

I've found a big adjustable spanner which will fit the fork top nut, plus a large bolt head and nuts to fit the middle so it doesn't spin.

I'm guessing these are supposed to be pretty tight? Currently using a 4ft pole extension on the adjustable spanner!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
sharkojoints OP

So, nearly done now.

It still needs some mirrors, as well as a conversion of the front brake lines to naked spec. I was thinking of trying K75s mirrors - they're short, so would be OK with the wide, high bars fitted, and they're a fitment to the r100r as well as far as I can tell, so might be OK?

Anyway, here's how she looks now:

Yes, I know it's still nasty and filthy - I promise I'll wash it soon!

I've just offered up the rear carrier to see how it looks with the single seat - opinions welcome...