User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
Funkster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Part 15: Linköping to Torne, 300km

This was the second leg of andershz's route, a few more main road sections compared to the day before but there were still some nice tree-lined bits linking them together.

I really wish I'd had a bike-mounted camera because we were mainly pressing on and didn't stop for many photos. Of course, whilst stopped for a picnic we remembered to add a few pics to the duck collection...

The only on-the-move picture from this bit:

Originally we had been intending to head to Wildmarks Camping, but for some reason we didn't make it and I can't really remember why now. I guess they must've been full, we didn't make any reservations more than a day in advance the entire trip!

Anyway, we ended up in a hut in a nice campsite HERE, and had a good chat with one of the staff who was a fellow biker and classic car enthusiast. The campsite was next to a lake, and there were a few paths around for those who fancied a wander.

All through the Swedish countryside we'd been taunted by moose warning signs (without seeing any actual moose), and here we found another one right opposite our cabin!

So, imagine my surprise when K8 returned from a walk and calmly said "saw a moose while we were by the lake, look..." and handed me her camera.

Ho ho ho, scottish-accent-for-comic-effect-person :oP

That's about yer lot here, save for the obligatory well-filled dinner pot...

Funkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
Funkster OP
Adventurer

Part 16: to Copenhagen, 230km

Having packed up our airbeds for the last time on this trip, we made an early start so we could get to Copenhagen with some daytime left - we wanted to see some of the city but only had one night there. Mainly a run down rv23 and then the E22...

That took us straight through Malmo without even so much as a glance at the city, because we were headed for something well-known to us due to the eponymous scandinavian crime drama. Vis, BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE!

Hehe, the wind farm to the left makes nice patterns if you get the timing right...

Our rather fancy accommodation would be the Copenhagen Island Hotel, HERE. They have parking but it was fairly full... again Laika disappeared a little way down the road, but the staff let us put our bikes in their pedal-cycles area!

Just by chance we had arrived in town on the night where all the school-leavers celebrate the end of their exams, so as we walked around there was a constant passing of army-trucks-hastily-converted-into-busses, each containing its own particular style of sound system, decoration, and fleet of students dressed as sailors.

Needless to say they'd been drinking most of the day, and were all pretty keen to wave / yell something (sounded friendly enough) to passing strangers / show you their underwear. Fair enough, like. Some folk obviously couldn't source a stylish army truck, so there were a few wrecked people being carted around in, well, carts also:

Anyway, we were in Denmark now so best do as the romans do and eat some pastries...

And then head up the tower of the Copenhagen University Observatory:

This has an excellent spiral corridor leading to the top, pretty sure the local skateboarders wish there wasn't a guard on the entrance :o)

It houses (the oldest working? not sure about that!) orrery..

... and the view from the top includes the briiiiiiiidge!

It also has a storage loft that looks like it would be an excellent place to have a party, or to have as a tinkering space:

And finally, a couple of random pictures of the local architecture...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Funkster OP
Adventurer

Part 17: a quick visit to Copenhagen Suborbitals

If you haven't yet heard of Copenhagen Suborbitals, well, you should have! These guys are building rockets for basically pocket money, and intend to go to space. Manned.

If that doesn't deserve a few dollars of your support, I don't know what does!

Anyway, since we were close by we figured we'd go and have a look at their facility. We knew there wouldn't be anyone in since the summer is their prime rocket-testing season and they're all out at sea with their home-made marine launch platform. Still, we headed into the industrial area where they're based...

Pretty impressive, eh? Except, ah, that's the old power station whose land they sub-let. They actually do all their rocket building in their Horizontal Assembly Building, otherwise known as a rusty tin shed:

Parked nearby was their home-made submarine...

... and some obviously very interesting evidence of something high-temperature-related. Man, we're such geeks...

I just couldn't resist going and standing in their rocket test stack... somewhat safer at that point than when they're firing the TM65!

Back in town we also scored a photo of another landmark we were familiar with, this time from excellent Danish political drama Borgen:

The courthouse steps are well guarded by these lizard dudes:
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #34
Funkster OP
Adventurer

Part 18: back to Esbjerg for the ferry home, 300km

Right, we'd run out of sightseeing time, we now had a very important deadline - to get to the ferry before boarding closes at 13:30! It's a fair old stretch, all motorways:

I have to admit this wasn't a particularly enjoyable bit of riding. The venerable Dominator wasn't exactly made for long 70mph+ motorway stints, and its upright riding position means you tend to get blown off the back somewhat. The deadline meant that we really had to do 70 the entire way, with not much time for breaks! I was hugging my tank bag throughout, hoping that the motor wouldn't mind being held at 5000rpm for longer than I've ever done before.

I also experienced a hilarious (to Chris, anyway) shortage of horsepower on the bridge between Korsor and Nyborg - a 30mph head-wind reduced my flat-out speed to 65mph! Oh how we (he) laughed. Still, rather that than a 30mph cross-wind...

This is where I have to mention the trip's only reliability issues, but thankfully they're relatively minor!
1) Increased crankcase pressure made my oil filter cover leak a bit, and I got an oily right foot.
2) About 10km shy of the ferry port, my speedo drive decided it'd had enough of this motorway lark, and spat out all its teeth. Dag nammit, that means I'll have to rely on the GPS speedo on my phone!

Can't complain too much about that really, and we made it in time for the ferry. There was obviously something funny about the cabin...

We then treated ourselves to an expensive-but-good steak in the ship's restaurant, and watched Scandinavia disappear over the horizon...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
X11-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks

Thanks for sharing...looks a great ,happy trip..and superb photos !!!
X11-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
Funkster OP
Adventurer

Part 19: Home! 180 miles and the end of an excellent adventure.

Having slept the sleep of exhausted bikers, we woke up, breakfasted and watched England appear in the distance. After getting off the ship and remembering to start driving on the other side of the road again, we started the hack back home. Not too bad at first, and a visit to Chris' parents for lunch kept our spirits up, but soon we were in a damp, grey Milton Keynes again and this time it was rush hour. Rain, traffic... we weren't used to this! Can't we go back? Oh, no, we've got work tomorrow...

Ah well, we got home safe and sound, and K8 even discovered a clean spot on Laika:

And after a quick unpack, we wasted no time in getting to our local pub to mark the end of a great trip: 2500 miles, more ferries and tunnels than I could count, some hairpin bends and bridges that I'll remember for a long time, and most importantly an excellent time with fantastic people.

Big shout out to Anneley, Chris, K8 and Mags for the company and for helping make an ambition a reality. Props to Kenny for the inspiration. And thank you to Denmark, Norway and Sweden for the roads and the welcome!

Cheers, and thanks for watching - see you all again soon I hope!

All the very Best of British,
--
Olly
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
glenn2926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Great Ride report

Looks like you had good weather most of the time. The roads look to be good fun and the cabins seem to be a great idea. Hope you are going to do another trip and write it up as well as you have done this one.

Cheers Glenn.
glenn2926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #38
Funkster OP
Adventurer

Thank you! And also thanks to all the other commenters along the way :o)

We were incredibly lucky with the weather, really didn't expect so many dry, sunny days. The standard of road maintainance and the quality of the campsites make the UK look a bit daft, everything seems to just work and nothing is too crowded. But perhaps we were just as lucky with those elements as we were with the weather!

I certainly hope to do another trip; there are a few ideas being kicked around at the moment but all involve saving up our pocket money again, and lining up everyone's availability is tricky. Would like a couple more riders on the next one if possible, though this group / vehicle combo did work very well.

ttfn!
--
Olly
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #39
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 635
Thanks. That was a great read and food for thought.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote