Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #151
Nanin
Halfozze

Oddometer: 321
G'day Danny

Thank You for this great ride

I really did enjoy it, rainforest, sand, roks, beautifull places and over all this beach only for us and with these emus runing beside us.

I bought a trail magazine and I've been surprised 'cause U R there in one raid U did last december, I'm so proud to be riding beside almost a professional.

Thanx again Danny and I hope to ride with U again next time I come back to Oz, I think is one of the best places in the world for the trail riders.

There are heaps of my mates there in Spain, following all I do here and they say that Australia looks like heaven.

Saludos

Nanin
Nanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #152
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
A Trip to the Pub with No Beer

One of the things I like about adventure riding is the volume of life it squeezes into a small window of time. The past weekend was typical of that trait, starting with a trip down a rocky slope to the junction of the Nymboida Rivers. It's a beautiful spot and with plenty of recent rain the water was clear and plentiful.

The truth behind a stranded 2WD sedan on the loose descent lay at the top of the mountain. Three intrepid campers had driven it straight past the 4WD only sign at the top of the hill and after making it down in one piece, managed to rip the sump clean out on the ascent. With a couple of sleeping bags and a rapidly diminishing carton of VB they were far from stressed so I continued on my way. I later heard about a Ulysses rider who met the same fate on his ST1100?

The impact of recent floods could be clearly seen on the countryside. Lush and green it made for some stunning scenery.

Unfortunately it also left it's mark on quite a few trails in a string of increasing difficulty.

Light was fading as I approached Taylors Arm via the forest and as dusk gave way to humble headlights, I was greeted with an immovable object.

Adding a bit more light to the subject shows a good sized landslide.

In the daylight, with an accomplice or two, I am confident that it could have been tackled but with only moonlight to illuminate my potential demise, I opted for a backtrack. A couple of other options were explored with little success and in the end I retreated all the way to the bitumen. My trip back was punctuated by an introduction to Jack who had ran his diesel trayback out of fuel. We had a chat by the dim lights of an ageing Toyota and he told me a few tales from his many years in the local timber industry while I helped him prime the new fuel.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #153
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

The lengthy detour meant I was in for a long night. It was well after 11 when I joined Rod & Bernie at the Pub with No Beer in Taylors Arm. It's a great place with friendly staff (they even waive the accommodation fees on certain nights in leui of a donation to the Cancer Council) but by the time I got there the crowd was down to a couple of riders from Coffs and a rowdy bunch of locals. I had a feeling that things were heading down a well worn path so after I was treated to a drawn out tale of riding bravery featuring the patrons and their feats past, I was keen to wander off to the cabins without incident.

Bernie reported a bit of a commotion the next morning but I was oblivious to it all thanks to my trusty ear plugs.

When the fog cleared on a clear sky, our group swelled to 6 as the Coffs riders joined us for a ride through the surrounding hills with Justin, a mate of Rod's. His knowledge of the country was impressive with a 120km loop that never left the trails. I will admit that I was a bit nervous at the start of the ride. Twenty odd litres of fuel, panniers and a mildly skilled rider don't make the best enduro combination but in the end I only got stuck briefly on one hill and the rest of the time was spent flowing through a seemingly endless string of tight trails and tall trees.

It didn't take long to realise that I was going to be riding sweep in this group.

Rod and Bernie powering up one of the milder inclines, there was some really steep country in this area. I imagine it would be very dicey with an inch of rain on it.

Leaf litter has to be one of the best substances to spin a knobby through.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 03-14-2006 at 12:22 AM
Old 03-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #154
Ultralights
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
I know Taylors arm Pub quite well, being an almost regular to hat Head...(have a house there)

but the recent changes have made it less attractive in my opinion, to touristy... i remember in the 80s taking a commodore wagon up to taylors arm, in driving rain! the back roads! never have i had so much fun on a mud road in my life! must have taken me 8 hrs to get there from the highway!

Which beach is that you are riding on in the above pics?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #155
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Justin's experience in the area wasn't limited to the trails. He pulled up in a patch of rainforest and wandered to the base of a giant Stinging Tree, certainly not something you would want to have encountered while it was growing up. The base is 43 feet around.

Towards the end of the loop, Rod pointed to a direction painted on a tree leading us towards Jacobs Ladder. He had a mischevious grin and I can only imagine that he heard the same tale of brevado from the locals likening it to the tower of death. We followed the trail for a while and when we stopped at a lookout I was quick to find out where the infamous descent resided. Justin smiled and told me we had already ridden it a few minutes ago. Funny how things vary in peoples perception, goes to show that it's the quiet ones you need to watch.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #156
digitaldan01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Wonderfull pics Burren and nice seat

J. R. R. Tolkien
digitaldan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #157
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Longmore
but the recent changes have made it less attractive in my opinion, to touristy...

Which beach is that you are riding on in the above pics?
Yeah, it is a bit touristy but the staff were so good that it was hard not to like the place.

The beach is near Woodburn on the Far North Coast.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #158
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldan01
Wonderfull pics Burren and nice seat
G'Day Dan,

The seat turned out to be a pretty good shape but it is too soft for my weight so I guess it is back to the drawing board on that one. I'll let you know if I come up with something better.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #159
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Nearing Taylors Arm again, we proceeded to juggle a bit of fuel before heading to Bellbrook for a full tank and a late lunch.

From there it was time for a quick run up the mountain to Armidale. Bernie had to keep heading west for work on Monday while I had the luxury of an extra day up my sleeve. A midday appointment in Inverell allowed a bit of time to explore the next morning which meant the 420km trip home was largely dirt .

Old 04-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #160
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Last week turned out to be a veritable smorgosboard of riding. It started on Sunday with a short loop that evolved into a great day ride through the rainforest.

We saw everything from Forestry fire towers to fast flowing creeks.

The last photo was followed by a brief de-watering session before we were on our way again. The simplicity of the XR is a beautiful thing when you have to drain the float bowl and stand it up to let the water run out the exhaust.

I reckon the bike is jinxed on this particular crossing though because the previous owners attempt looked like this.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 04-03-2006 at 08:20 PM
Old 04-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #161
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

A mid week ride through the High Country of Victoria followed thanks to a couple of spare days between work commitments. I hired a DL650 from GSL Moto and was soon reminded that I really do need one of these in the shed .

Victoria is full of great little creeks and rivers.

This boulder could be seen over the scrub on the side of the track so I rode in to take a look.

Tall tree's are cool.

I had to ride through a serious hazzard reduction burn on the way to Woods Point but it was worth it to see the servo there. Time hasn't changed it.

The road north to Jamieson was a bit of fun too.

There were even a couple of creek crossings on the sidetracks.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #162
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

From Jamieson, I took a succession of winding country roads and tracks towards the Carboor Valley.

A great night of catching up with my mate ensued and the following morning I was fortunate to get a guided tour of the R & V Aqualine factory. If ever there was an advocate of Aussie ingenuity, this is it. The thought process' and skills behind the tanks and canoes are absolutely amazing.

Tour done, it was time to head back to Melbourne via as much dirt as I could find. Luckily that was a fair bit.

The final stretch of open road coming into Healesville was taken at a healthy pace and it was here that the core attraction of the 650 caught up with me. Winding down a ribbon of tar, surrounded by tall timber, I was struck by how similar the noise of the standard exhaust is to the Speeder bikes from Star Wars. Some may see it as a bit of a stretch but it certainly took me back a few years.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #163
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider
I hired a DL650 from GSL Moto and was soon reminded that I really do need one of these in the shed .

BR you do need to get the DL650.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #164
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Riding the Rainforest

What started out as an effort to link up pockets of Rainforest to the east, soon turned into a hippy's guide to the North Coast with communes and tee-pee's appearing wherever we rode. Some of them were in pretty handy locations too, like the assortment of shacks up the road from this swimming hole.

In between colourful banners and fast growing green bushes, we managed to find some great trails.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 AM   #165
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Linking the isolated pockets of forest without lengthy transports can be tricky. However, armed with the wizadry of modern technology and a full tank of fuel, we picked a path through gazetted tracks that dropped off the tourist maps long ago.

We parked on the trail for lunch and wandered over to a waterfall which provided a first class, 100m vertical backdrop.

The trails leading back out were slippery, with a fine coating of green moss creating the odd bit of excitement.