Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #331
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
I watched a wedge tailed eagle soar high in the sky and for that brief moment I could relate, I was free as the breeze. Yeah, there were all sorts of things that I could be thinking about, but right now it was just me, the wedgie and a drifting V-Strom on a winters day.

My original plans of heading to the OCR were thwarted the week before so I figured I would make up for it with a quick run to the coast to camp by the beach. The dirt started with a run along a rainforest ridge and then moved south towards the rolling hills surrounding the Clarence and Mann Rivers.

I kicked back in the shade for lunch and continued south towards Glenreagh where I wandered through the Sherwood Forestry tracks on my way to the coast.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #332
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

I rolled into the camping area after dark and dozed off in anticpation of the sunrise. It was worth the wait.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #333
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

The (Almost) Gympie Adventure Ride

I met up with Rod on a particularly gloomy day and we headed north to Imbil on the promise of Adventure. The thing about Rod that many don't know is that he is almost like a divining stick in that where ever he goes he finds water. And so, in true "Rodney the Rainmaker" fashion the skies darkened as I approached our meeting point and opened not long after. Someone must have forgotten to turn the tap off too because it stayed that way for the next three days.

We followed the dirt north via Pretty Gully and White Swamp before it almost looked liked clearing at Laidley for lunch. No sooner were we back on the bikes though and the rain drops contiuned their symphony on my rapidly fogging visor. The fog may have had something to do with the Black soil quagmire the GPS had just guided us down too. Both bikes made it through without recovery though and we continued north through Kilcoy and onto the Sunday Creek Road towards Kenilworth.

As if on qeue, the clouds closed in within a couple of kilometres of the "Dry Weather Only" sign and we peered through the rain and dense mist that penetrated the rainforest canopy.

Kenilworth pub was a welcome sight and Rod had already booked a couple of rooms in advance (just in case I had thoughts of camping in the forest).
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #334
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

The next morning revealed a contiunation of the same old soundtrack. Rain overflowing out of the gutters and splattering on the verandah below. We were gearing up for the run through to Imbil when the phoned buzzed with the news that the ride had been cancelled. We figured we had come this far so we might as well go for a look anyway. On arrival at the showgrounds in Imbil, most of the adventure contingent where present. In a funny twist of fate, it turned out that the Graeme and Dave were heading out for a ride anyway if anybody wanted to tag along.

The skies broke briefly and we got to see some great roads and tracks in what was the most polite cornerman ride I have ever been on. There was none of the usual jostling for position at the top of the trail tree and in fact if it hadn't been for Rod breaking ranks just before lunch it would have been perfectly administered. Maybe these Queenslanders aren't so bad after all?

It was a shame about the weather because a lot of thought had clearly gone into the ride organisation but for those there we were really fortunate to get a decent run in anyway. A big thanks go to Graeme and Dave

Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #335
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

We began our journey south after lunch after a great little track through the forest. Naturally the rain intensified and we were soon wading our way through the slop again. Andy's fuel tap had a minor altercation with a stray rock and that is when I truly started to feel inferior. I have always thought of my self as organised with a pretty handy backpack setup but Andy had a part and a place for everything (well except for a spare fuel tap I suppose).

Being the helpful souls that we are, Rod and I stood back and offered advice from the sidelines as the true depth of Andy's tool kit was revealed. It was bloody impressive and the only thing stopping me replicating the collection is that I wouldn't know how to use half of them anyway. My belief has always been that most things can be fixed with a combination of Zip Ties, Quick Steel and race tape anyway.

After a bit of mucking around and a few litres of fuel changing tanks we made it into Kilcoy like a quartet of drowned rats.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #336
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Danny,

As per your usual, very high, standard some great photo's!

But can you do this on the Strom?

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #337
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
But can you do this on the Strom?
Not quite no, but I have given it a go in the past (on my old 1000).

Old 10-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #338
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

We had a good night at the pub on Saturday before setting off under gloomy skies in the morning. Rod had justifiably had enough of the rain by now and was heading west where the weather man predicted a drier path. My heading was south though, into the eye of the storm.

I stopped at Somerset Dam to check out the overflow. The water funnelling out of this pipe and spraying into the river below like a giant fire hose was something to see.

From there the number of navigation options seemed to dwindle as the monsoonal rains took their toll.

The hillsides began were flowing with water and although the road home was slow and sometimes slippery (the clay tracks skirting the Border Ranges were particularly interesting) it was rare to see the country in this light.

A quick lunch stop in Kyogle on the last leg of the trip hinted at a train incident on the railway heading for home. Apparently a stolen car had been left on one of the rural crossings and the train had cleaned it up in the dark. Curiosity got the better of me (what exactly does a car look like after a run in with a train) but by the time I passed through all that remained were pieces of the interior scattered across the countryside.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #339
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Photo's from the last few months.

Tranquility on the beach, lifes tough some days .

Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #340
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Rivertree Ride.

We got a chance to link up the Rivertree Fire Trail over christmas. The line on the map has always intrigued me so we went for a wander.

We started out with a run through the forests near Drake before heading north through Gilgury.

Once we worked out the right track we made good progress but there were a few traps along the way.

We managed to get all the way through to northern end of the trail but were stopped by the Boonoo Boonoo River that was runnign fast and deep. By the looks of it it is a regular occurence as the farmers had built their own flying fox (look closely in the pic below). We thought it might fit a DRZ but it was a bit skinny and I didn't like the idea of my Suzuki sinking into the depths below if something went wrong .

In the end we decided to do the smart thing and back track. There are worse places to have to ride again though.

We also managed to link up some trails west of Drake that took us all the way in to town without touching the highway. I always get a kick out of linking up new sections and this was no exception.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #341
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Sundown NP

I met up with a heap of Adventure riders on the weekend for an overnight trip into Sundown NP. I am normally wary of big group rides but it was a great weekend, with a really good bunch of people.

The fun started when I met some other Northern Rivers riders in Drake and headed west. The tracks were awesome after recent rains. From there we had a bit of a wait until the northern contingent arrived and then it was off to Sundown. It is a pretty rocky run in, great fun on the DRZ but you needed a bit of talent to pilot the bigger bikes successfully.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #342
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

There were some happy campers arriving at the Burrows Waterhole camping ground. The lone 4WD campers setup there must have forecast a thunderstorm as the fleet of V-Twins made their descent.

The river was perfect for a late afternoon swim before dinner.

Incredibly clear night skies and a comfy bedroll made for 1 Million star accommodation.

Naturally the campers only got happier as the night wore on.

There were a few sore heads in the morning, must have been all the vibration from the rocky ride in?

Vince and Mario made light work of the climb out.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #343
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Rod stopped to help pick up a fallen Dominator and then continued on his way.

I detoured into the Red Rock Gorge lookout to check out the views.

From there it was into Ballandean for a cooked brekky and onto some trails that followed the rabbit fence north. Everything was going well until we reached the quagmire. The main track had turned into quicksand due to recent floods and just walking through it was hard work.

We quickly scouted for a better line and proceeded to extract the stranded bikes with a tow rope.

Unfortunately a chain link let go in the muck but it was fixed in short order.

This bloke and his son appeared out of nowhere and started plucking bikes out of the muck. Turns out they sweep for the Killarney trail ride and sensed the impending carnage when the loaded adventure bikes rolled past their property just up the track.

We made it into Killarney for lunch before the Queenslanders headed north and I made tracks for home.

It was a great weekend, met some terrific people and had a lot of fun. Thanks to Phil and co for organising it .

Burren Rider screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 10:21 PM
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #344
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Testing out the new Tiger XC

The bike looks like being pretty capable in the dirt so it wasn't long before we headed for some more interesting trails.

I rolled through the soft beach entry and had a bit of fun on the wet tidal sand.

Before heading for home via some more dirt roads and Forestry tracks.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #345
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Photo's from day two on the Tiger and a short video.