All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,359
Danny nice new stead

its No Strom but its a nice bike

I am loving the strom it turns out to have been a pretty good thing for me

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #348
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
I am loving the strom it turns out to have been a pretty good thing for me
G'Day Leith,

Good to hear it is working well for you, I was fairly confident you would like it. After the dissapointment of selling the V-Strom I was fortunate to have a few things fall in to place and give me a crack at something different. I was going to buy another V-Strom but was a bit disheartened that I had sold one with all the work already done.

Cheers,

Danny
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #349
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

A few Photo's from the 2011 TK Memorial ride held in the Flinders Ranges.

Olary Hotel, an awesome place to spend a night.

You have to be wary of someone who does this to a new Dunlop Rally Raid

Tom's room mate snored so badly at Tilpa that he moved outside in his swag. It was only in the morning that he realised hw was camped beside a grave .

The legend lives on

Dawn at Olary Station

Making sure I was still on the mainland.

Bob by the fire.

Jane coming out of Buneyroo Gorge.

Lawsey imparting some wisdom

Buneyroo Gorge

Burren Rider screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 06:59 PM
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #350
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Water in the Flinders

Mario

The young fellas on the Husabergs were good to watch.

Clive (Boulder Brother).

Phil (philth)

Al (Old Fat Beerman)

Phil Gill

Yap

Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #351
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Tony and some creative line selection (notice the track to the left).

Rod

Phil & Yap again.

It's good being able to tell the sweeps their first slide wasn't big enough and to have another go .

Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #352
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Rusty was one of the main organisers of the ride and deserves a big pat on the back.

Trev (DRTrev) led me into the trail ahead of the pack to get some photo's. Thanks Trev.

Daniel (woafa). It was awesome to put some faces to names after many years.

Some of the scenery at a lunch stop.

The panoramas on some of these trails was amazing.

Doc led us through some amazing country and even organised private station access as part of the ride. Thanks again Doc, really appreciate being able to see some of this country.

Glen & Scotty descending the lookout track.

Lawsey

Tony

Crutchy. This is the before photo, unfortunately there are some 'after' photo's from a couple of days later.

Bob (Turbobob)

Brent (Rumble)

Mario really threw me here. I was looking through the lens and wondering why he wasn't filling the frame when I realised the tricky bugger was just riding down the side of the hill.

Tom

Scrivo

Going where I suspect no Tenere has gone before?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #353
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Phil warming up for a big night.

Potent stuff.

I met this bloke getting fuel at Angorichina. Not sure if he is on Advrider?

Bob found the best bit of green grass in Blinman to camp on.

Clive and Tony fixing a de-railed chain on the DR.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 07:00 PM
Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #354
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Spreading TK's ashes was a special experience. An emotional one for sure but it seemed fitting to lay him to rest in such an amazing vista. Looking to the east, as far as the eye could see, lay the vast expanse of Lake Frome shimmering in the late afternoon sun. North, south and west revealed ancient ranges of red rock and right there in the centre of it all was a diverse group of friends and dusty riders gathered around a cairn, erected to the memory of a man not easily forgotten. We assembled there to say farewell to Tony Kirby, a gifted writer, talented photographer and a pioneer in the adventure riding scene. A man whose unquestionable integrity, dogged determination and profound ability to inspire others created life-long friendships as he travelled around his adopted home land.

Rusty asked us to carry a rock to the summit to build a cairn in memory of TK and Rumble responded by carting half the mountain up with him. Good onya mate.

In a moving tribute, tales were spoken of adventures shared and wisdom imparted. The wiry little bugger meant a lot to every single person on that mountain and it was a time for quiet reflection as cupped hands cast his ashes upon the breeze. Left to ponder the void left by his passing, and a future without that trademark laugh that made light of any situation, seasoned desert riders struggled with the sentiment as they uttered a final farewell. And then, as if it were born of the liberated ashes, an eagle appeared below and soared high into the fading sky. The uncanny symbolism was certainly not lost and it was no surprise that, as darkness descended on the hilltop, many stayed and soaked up the connection.

I didn't know whether to post these photos but I figured they say a lot more than words can about the personal journey undertaken by so many of us up there last week.

And I guess it is fitting that the last words go to the man himself.

We do this stuff, searching for adventure because it makes us feel truly alive - Tony Kirby

Burren Rider screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 06:47 PM
Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #355
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

A few more photo's. It wouldn't have been right to have TK memorial ride if we didn't end up riding in the dark

The colours of the desert never lose their appeal.

The last remains of Crutchy's speedo.

He had a big spill on the way home, damaged his wrists and then after we strapped his bike back together with industrial strength zip ties, the tough little bugger proceeded to ride it home to the south coast.

Thanks again to everybody on the ride for making it such a great experience. I caught up with some old faces and met a bunch of new people that I would like to keep in touch with going forward. And all this because I picked up an ADB when I was 14 and started reading about this bloke named Kirby who was wandering around the country side on a KLR. I was hooked from then on and had it not been for that change in fate who knows where I might be. I could be on a bloody road bike .

As I got to know more than TK the rider and writer, I realised he truly was one of a kind and I know he will remain a part of our household going forward.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #356
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Trail Riding on the Tiger

Even found some wild raspberries along the trail.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #357
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,359
Tax Returns a bit slow eh danny

jeez that tiger looks the goods!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #358
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

APC 4 Day Navigation Rally - Queensland

I pulled the DRZ out of the shed where it has been sadly sitting in neglect since the Tiger came along and went for a 4 Day adventure ride through SE Queensland.

The 250 km ride up to Brisbane on Wednesday night was actually pretty good for a highway ride on the DRZ.

We camped at Tony's house which is almost in the middle of Brisbane and at about 2am I woke to the sound of a thumping chopper blade hovering overhead. I opened my eyes to see what the bloody noise was and all I could see was a bright white search light blaring down at us from a helicopter not too far above the trees. I asked the others about it in the morning and not one of them woke up to see it, I couldn't believe it.

They suggested that perhaps the thermal imaging in the chopper picked up the heat signatures within the swags but that is only a theory?

We set off from the Story Bridge early the next morning and made our way north through the forests around Bellthorpe.

I was cruising along at one point and saw a Tenere catching up so I moved over and let him go. It was multi-ISDE Gold medalist Kirk Hutton, on his first adventure ride. I always like watching good riders in action and to get the opportunity to tag along behind him while he got his head around the GPS navigation was great. Once he figured it out, I looked on as he launched the Tenere into the air on successive erosion mounds, flicking it to the side like it was a YZ. He disappeared into the distance but I caught him again as he set about fixing his blinkers that were dangling by their wires, no doubt victims of the aforementioned jumps. In what seems typical of truly fast riders, he was very modest about his abilities, going as far as introducing himself to Tony in the morning, mentioning that he had done "a few enduro's in the past but that he was new to adventure riding".

Burren Rider screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 08:51 PM
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #359
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

We stayed in Biggenden that night with the challenge of a big Day 2 looming over us that night. In a spate fo bad luck, Tony decked two Kangaroo's on the previous day and was left with some internal damage and a long ride back to Brisbane. As a result it was a tentative start to the day as we rode through the tree lined tracks not long after dawn.

The GPS navigation element of the rally was brilliant, allowing riders to travel at their own pace and stay out of the dust.

After brekky in Mt Perry and a quick stop in Ubobo for fuel, it was off to the Kroombit Tops. The riding up there was fantastic.

We took the loop out to the wreck of the "Beautiful Betsy" bomber and it was a surreal experience wandering around the crash site. We were all struck by the level of preservation at the site and I hope it is respected by others going forward. It would be great for future generations to get a chance to interact with it's history.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #360
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Day 2 was long but by no means unachievable so it was a contented group that rolled into Muligildie Hotel that afternoon.

Long days and the odd crash were taking their toll on the machinery though so a few running repairs were required over the course of the ride. It was a good thing everyones favourite bush mechanic, Craig Hartley, was riding sweep! He worked tirelessly, fixing on everything from busted clutch covers to broken header pipes and bent brake levers. He seemed to have a ball doing it too.

"Fireman" Sam had a quick departure as he saw smoke billowing in the mirror and looked down to see his pannier bag had caught fire. By the end of Day 3 he had seriously lightened his luggage as panniers broke, caught fire and other stuff simply fell off. He persevered with it well though and made it through to Brisbane.