Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #361
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
I had to head home early on Day 4 as the little fella had a Christmas concert on and I wasn't about to let him down. I found some great, albeit washed out, tracks on the way home though so all was not lost.

I found a particularly good single track out of Woodenbong that had it all, muddy gullies, steep descents and rocky climbs. I followed it all the way through the state forest and was hoping that it would continue on to the southern side of the highway but I was met with a gate and a sign telling me in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome beyond that point. I was dissapointed to meet a dead end but I figured it was better than an altercation involving firearms (of which I clearly had none). I turned around and beat a hasty retreat before sound of shotguns echoed through the valley behind me.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #362
DaveyDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I've only just found this thread Danny. Its really nice, especially the post a couple of pages back with Tony Kirby's send off - very moving.

I've not been on this side of the coast for long so it's given me plenty of inspiration for some local ride...Thanks for that too
Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #363
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
I've only just found this thread Danny. Its really nice, especially the post a couple of pages back with Tony Kirby's send off - very moving.

I've not been on this side of the coast for long so it's given me plenty of inspiration for some local ride...Thanks for that too
G'Day Dave,

Good to hear you enjoyed the thread. I think we are pretty fortunate on the east coast as far as riding counrty goes.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #364
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

A couple of photo's from a recent ride through the forest.

This was taken in the Rainforest where you can ride down across the creek and walk to the edge of a waterfall (only a few metres away) where the water tumbles nearly 100 metres into the valley below. Pretty awesome spot to spend a bit of time.

It pays to watch your step when wandering around these places though. Not sure, but my guess is that it was either a Brown or a Tiger snake? Fortunately it appeared fat and lazy as a I stepped past it so I had not intention of changing that outlook.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #365
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,603
again Danny nice photos

Look forward to having a ride with you after Xmas!

Leith

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #366
dirtkiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great Thread Danny

Hey Danny,

Love this thread, I live down in Melbourne but really enjoy seeing what you are doing and the trails you find. It was your thoughts on the DR650 that I read while sitting in a sling after my shoulder reco that made the final decision for what direction I was going to take with my bike. After 10 years of no dirt bikes (after a CR500 induced helicopter ride) I ended up with this

Hoping to get to the APC in the next couple of years and then maybe build a rally bike out of maybe a KTM690, and go from there, thanks for bothering to post what you do, its cool
dirtkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #367
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
It pays to watch your step when wandering around these places though. Not sure, but my guess is that it was either a Brown or a Tiger snake? Fortunately it appeared fat and lazy as a I stepped past it so I had not intention of changing that outlook.
Hi Danny
Funny you think it was a tiger snake
Thanks for the photos and report, I'm still to upload mine. Mispaced my GPS cable so can't even save my routes at the moment. I checked out the recce ride photos by John and I was amazed how many of the same places that I stopped for photos. The recce photos did not mean to much before the ride, but now they bring back so many memories. I have trouble explaining just how much of a fat time we had. John under sold and over delivered his ride. Shame you missed the last day, it was still some great riding. One cracking long rocky down hill. (was thinking about turning round to ride up it but knew other riders where coming down). Quite hard for navigation in some of the forest with one majesticly old forest which was a treat just after day break. I hope to post up my ride reports in the new year when on leave.
Talk soon
Damo
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #368
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Danny,

Just spent a while catching up on what you've been up to lately... bugger me you've been busy!

Thanks for the great photo's and stories that go with them

Thanks
John

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #369
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtkiwi View Post
Hoping to get to the APC in the next couple of years and then maybe build a rally bike out of maybe a KTM690, and go from there, thanks for bothering to post what you do, its cool
G'Day,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't checked back on this one. The DR would be awesome for the APC rally I reckon. Not too big in the snotty stuff, relatively comfortable on the longer road sections and reliable to boot. Good luck with the ride if you have a crack at it.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #370
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2010 View Post
Hi Danny
Funny you think it was a tiger snake
Thanks for the photos and report, I'm still to upload mine. Mispaced my GPS cable so can't even save my routes at the moment. I checked out the recce ride photos by John and I was amazed how many of the same places that I stopped for photos. The recce photos did not mean to much before the ride, but now they bring back so many memories. I have trouble explaining just how much of a fat time we had. John under sold and over delivered his ride. Shame you missed the last day, it was still some great riding. One cracking long rocky down hill. (was thinking about turning round to ride up it but knew other riders where coming down). Quite hard for navigation in some of the forest with one majesticly old forest which was a treat just after day break. I hope to post up my ride reports in the new year when on leave.
Talk soon
Damo
G'Day Damo,

I saw the old Advrider.com sticker on your bike and meant to ask you what your name was on here. It was a great couple of days and the idea of covering the ground at your own pace with the GPS was great. If you are ever down this way and want to go for a ride let me know.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #371
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Danny,

Just spent a while catching up on what you've been up to lately... bugger me you've been busy!

Thanks for the great photo's and stories that go with them

Thanks
John
G'Day John,

Yeah, I have been getting out again a bit lately and having fun doing it. How are you going these days, have you still got an Adventure bike in the shed?

Cheers,

Danny
Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #372
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Tigers go Round Oz

Tigers go Round Oz

Phil Hodgens from Motorbikin is planning a multi-leg trip around Australia on a couple of Tigers this year and I linked up with him and some other Adventure Riders to do the stretch from Sydney to Coffs Harbour this week.

First up though, we had to get to Sydney so Bob and I set off in search of dirt on Friday morning.

We linked up the local tracks heading south before having lunch at Nymboida. As is generally the case with the Coaching Station, the food was excellent and we were in danger of camping by the river if we didn't get a move on. Bob had already knoccked over a heap of k's just to get to my place in the morning, so we took to the bitumen after a loop through the forest and made a line for Armidale.

Continuing south we passed this old church near Gostwycke and the settign was too nice not to stop at.

With time getting away, we followed a series of dirt roads up the mountain and soon found ourselves drifting through a chilly haze of cloud and fog in the forests above Nundle. Dropping below the cloud gave way to an amazing vista though and you could feel the temperature rise for every few metres we dropped.

We camped by the river at the caravan park that night and it was a great spot that I would like to return to with the family one day.

Bob went down early in the morning and even saw Trout working their way upstream.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #373
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

With a clear morning, we headed back up the mountain again, making our way towards Hanging Rock.

I had always wanted to do the run through Barry Station and it's numerous creek crossings so we picked up the start of the track and marvelled at how lucky we were to be riding such an awesome track on a picture perfect day.

We rode past the expanse of the Ellerston horse complex and into Moonan Flat for fuel. Trying to pick up dirt on the road to Singleton we struck this bridge that had partially collapsed but it was easy enough to sneak across.

It was getting warm by this stage with the temperature climbing into the mid 30's but the countryside was green and a cooling creek never seemed to be far away.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #374
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

We consulted the maps in Singelton and decided upon a ride down along the Putty Road before crossing back to the east via the Howes Valley Track and Yengo Trail. For a bitumen road, the Putty is an awesome ride and picking up the start of the fire trail only confirmed that we had made the right decision. It was a great little track with rocky climbs and plenty of erosion mounds. I got a little caried away on one unfortunately and busted my front guard as forks bottomed hard. With some bush mechanics we were on the way again, rolling through the rocky trail at speed. Sensing that we still had a long way to go, we only stopped at the lookout along the way.

Back on the bitumen, we picked up the Old Northern Road towards Wisemans Ferry and then headed west on a series of winding dirt roads that paralleled the Hawkesbury River. Each time we stopped, we were both quick to marvel at the amount of dirt we were able to find so close to Sydney and how few people we saw along the way.

When we finally lobbed back on a main road at Bilpin, we stopped at the Apple Bar for tea as it was the only place open. On first inspection, it looked a bit upmarket for a couple of stinky adventure riders but we figured it may be the only chance for a feed prior to Hampton. We wandered in, they wisely sat us out the front in the open air and the steak that followed was a beauty. Even the final run across to Hampton was nice in the cool night air and it proved to be one of those days where things worked out whichever way we turned.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #375
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

It was rain and cloudy skies that greeted us in the morning (and a distant rumbling from some of the bunks ) but by the time we had knocked over breakfast the skies started to clear.

Greg lead us towards the Gardens of Stone NP which is another area I have always wanted to take a closer look at.

We took Blackfellows Hand Trail and had a great time on the rocky descents and sandy gullies that lead to the rock formations at the end.

Wandering around the sandstone "pagoda's" was one of the highlights of the trip.

Arriving in Lidsdale, Greg needed to head back to Sydney so we consulted the maps and decided on a roundabout path to the Bridle Track via Turon Gates and Sofala. We knew time would be against us heading this way but I we all agreed afterwards it was the right call as the tracks were fantastic.