Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #376
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
The Bridle Track is a well known historical trail that runs through to Hill End. There is nothing overly complex about it but there are some obscene drop offs to the side of the single lane trail so it is best not to let the views distract you.

We were mucking around taking some photo's of the boys coming through when I noticed a rather ominous trail on the ground.

Unfortunately, Phil collected a sizeable lump of rock after the front wheel dislodged it from the track and the result was a cracked sump.

As the resident mechanic, Coxy stepped in and did an awesome job with the Quick Steel.

I flattened out the bash plate the best I could with my boot but big Cox felt that a few final adjustments were required.

The mood of a group in these situations is a good indication of it's quality I reckon and these blokes were top notch.

With the Tiger on the mend, we continued on to Hill End.

Hill End is an old gold mining town that was the site of Holtermann nugget discovery in 1872. It was estimated that the gold content was 3000 ounces and and my calculations place that at a cool $5 Million in todays terms. Maybe we should have taken a closer look at the lump of bed rock that Phil seperated from the track

Burren Rider screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 03:52 AM
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #377
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,359
Cheesus Danny I was there and I dont remeber it looking that good!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #378
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

We had a feed of Chinese at the pub before making our way down to the camping ground. Anders pulled out his Mandolin, Bob started making his own lyrics up based on the days events and we had an awesome night at the official Advrider Rotunda.

It was time for an early start in the morning to make up some ground.

We rolled through Mudgee, took a track through the Goulburn River NP and found our way back to Moonan Flat again. Chasing some good footage, Phil was keen to check out the Barry Station track but had already organised to meet a mate in Glouscester that afternoon. I had already done the Barry on the way south though and generally like to see new things on the bike so I headed east over the Barrington Tops to meet Bill.

The word was that the run over the Barringtons was pretty but a bit pedestrian for Adventure bikes. With that in mind, I pulled out the maps and took a detour via Gummi Falls and Thunderbolts Trail which certainly made for an interesting trip.

The walking track up into the falls was a somewhat precarious in Alpine Stars but sitting there on a rock in the sun made it all worthwhile.

Thunderbolts trail was good fun but as time went on the track got muddier and more overgrown so I began to wonder what I was getting myself into.

Being a stubborn bugger I persevered with it and eventually found my way back onto the main dirt road to Glouscester.

In line with the rest of the trip, time had been steadily ticking away and by the time I arrived in Glouscester, Bill had headed north. I refueled and took to the tracks of the Dingo Tops. It was a great ride flowing thorugh the winding forest roads and the spectacle of rainforest in the mist was one to behold as the altitude increased.

Reaching the Oxley highway just on dusk, I set my sights on the arranged meeting place of Mt Seaview. The only problem was there was a bit of conjecture on the map as to where that was. It showed a Mt Seaview trail, Mt Seaview Road and Mount Seaview. Unfortunately they were all in different directions . I systematically tried each one of them and eventually decided to head down the range and hope for mobile reception so that I could look up Phil's spot tracker. It was a tedious run down following a truck through mist that was so thick you almost had to slice through it.

Stopping at intervals to check the phone, I finally got a signal and a call from Phil followed to let me know they were camped at Long Flat, just down the road. As I rolled in to the paddock beside the river, the aroma of steaks cooking on the grill filled my nostrils. Awesome.

Bob explained that they pulled into the pub and the lady took pity on them because the kitchen was closed. He pointed to a container full of meat, eggs and bread that she handed over for and wouldn't take a cent in return. Neither of us could believe our luck and her generosity

We kicked back around the camp fire and told tales until the early hours of the morning. Another great night on the road.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #379
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Cheesus Danny I was there and I dont remeber it looking that good!

G'Day Lentil,

It really was an awesome trip. I have been getting shorter with my ride reports recently simply because I have been running out of things to say. No such problems with the last ride though, it was a cracker.

Keen to do it all over again.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #380
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

The final day of the trip started with an early morning swim in the Hastings river and eggs on an open fire. I think Coxy was enquiring if I wanted one egg or two

Crossing the ferry at Port Macquarie, it was time to indulge in the sandy whoops of the Point Plomer track. It is always fun, but on the big bikes the soft sand made some sections hard work.

At the end of the track it intersects with the coastline making for spectacular ocean views.

We did a loop through Yarrahappini Forest before making it to Bowraville for lunch. After losing Leith first thing in the morning, Rob at Crescent Head and now Bob at Bellingen our group shrunk to the three Tigers. The road north to Bellingen was closed after last years floods but the locals told us of a track north via Keniacle Creek. After a couple of wrong turns, we finally picked it up and it was a great run through narrow rainforest trails. We were fortunate to piece together some more of these on the way to Coffs.

I managed to swamp my bike in one of the gullies, taking a wrong line and getting stuck in a mixture of water and gooey mud. Fortunately with a bit of rocking the bike broke free under its own steam.

From Coffs, we had just enough time to call in via Zillanskas monument before hitting the pavement and heading for our respective homes.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #381
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Glad to see new life in this old favorite of mine.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote