Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #1501
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I got 4 studded tires from Craigslist for $100, they look barely used . This morning while backing out of the garage I got stuck in the snow. After trying to dig myself out and putting down card board, I realized that I was very stuck. I then put her in 4-wheel drive low and that worked. I didn't want to use it because I have mismatched tires and 4-wheel kicks into frontwheel drive because of it. I made it out of the driveway only to get stuck again because I had to stop for an oncoming car. This time I did manage to get myself out and in the road. I made it to Wallyworld where they are putting the studded tires on. Yippee! I am curious how they will drive
Hi Esther!

Here's a tip for getting stuck: If you lower the tire pressures to 15 lbs or less when stuck you can often drive away. I usually run my tires at 20 to 25 psi all winter. It works the same as on the bike, the lower the pressure the better the traction. I have dropped the pressure to as little as 5psi in a real bad spot. This won't always work such as when the car is high centered from skidding off the road into deep snow.
I will raise the pressures back to 30-35psi if going on a long highway trip as long distance at high speed will cause the tires to over heat.
You should also carry an emergency kit.....Shovel, warm clothes, snow boots, sleeping bag, axe, means of making fire, spare fuel, food, pot to heat water, First Aid kit.
Your vehicle is your best shelter if stranded in the middle of nowhere. STAY WITH IT and build a signal fire. Tell people if you go exploring where you will be going and when you will return. The cold is a serious threat. You can freeze to death in half an hour in bad conditions. Trying to walk a mile in knee deep snow at 40 below will likely not be possible. We loose a couple of people a year to the cold where I live. Oilfield workers, hunters, snowmobilers etc. One already this year and the snow hasn't been on the ground two weeks.
Keep Safe and have fun!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #1502
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Which reminds me. If you do get stuck/stranded and are running the engine for heat--periodically get out and clear away the area around the tail pipe, and keep a window cracked open to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #1503
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,043
Well, my life is indeed a roller coaster!! I was so excited to get back to Wallyworld and pick up my newly spiffed out car! Once I got there I saw it had been moved, but the tires were still the same
Turns out the guy sold me all different tires, 13 inch, but different other measurements, from 55 to 65 etc. So they wouldn't put them on.
Yeah I hit an all-time low at that point.

I then asked them if they could just fix my flat and put the best tires in the front, and I walked to work. I barely made it in time for the class I was teaching, walking in calve deep snow is quite an exercise!
It was dark by the time I was done with work and walked back to Walmart to pick up Mithrandir.
They fixed the tire but did not put the best ones in the front. Oh well!
The good thing is that they only charged me $17, so at least that didn't cost a fortune.
I texted and called the guy who sold me the tires, and asked him if he would take them back We'll see.
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that these old tires will hang on in there. I have to admit that they drove me home just fine now that 4-wheel drive works again. The driveway is another matter, I think I'll have to be the one shoveling it. The librarian is a bit of a wimp, and the older lady (think she's only in her early sixties if that much) complains about having to walk up the steps. so that leaves me, LOL.
The good thing is the snow is dry, so not heavy at all.

Hmmmm, there might be something good about having a concrete floor!

Beautiful though, if you don't have to drive through it!

I don't start till late tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to erect one wall (near the bed) and cover it. I'm looking forward to having the place warm up faster and not having to look at Mithrandir and Spirit. No matter how glad I am to have them, I still prefer to have a clean, non smelly, living area.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #1504
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
>"Turns out the guy sold me all different tires, 13 inch, but different other measurements, from 55 to 65 etc. So they wouldn't put them on.
Yeah I hit an all-time low at that point. "

Any other places to have put tires on in Fairbanks?
Probably find a smaller shop ?

Hmmm... the cars are still visible.
Later on you'll take photos when they are just 'drifts in the snow'.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #1505
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi Esther!

Here's a tip for getting stuck: If you lower the tire pressures to 15 lbs or less when stuck you can often drive away. I usually run my tires at 20 to 25 psi all winter. It works the same as on the bike, the lower the pressure the better the traction. I have dropped the pressure to as little as 5psi in a real bad spot. This won't always work such as when the car is high centered from skidding off the road into deep snow.
I will raise the pressures back to 30-35psi if going on a long highway trip as long distance at high speed will cause the tires to over heat.
You should also carry an emergency kit.....Shovel, warm clothes, snow boots, sleeping bag, axe, means of making fire, spare fuel, food, pot to heat water, First Aid kit.
Your vehicle is your best shelter if stranded in the middle of nowhere. STAY WITH IT and build a signal fire. Tell people if you go exploring where you will be going and when you will return. The cold is a serious threat. You can freeze to death in half an hour in bad conditions. Trying to walk a mile in knee deep snow at 40 below will likely not be possible. We loose a couple of people a year to the cold where I live. Oilfield workers, hunters, snowmobilers etc. One already this year and the snow hasn't been on the ground two weeks.
Keep Safe and have fun!
Regards....justjeff
Thanks for all the good advice Jeff, I'll remember to keep stuff in the car. Luckily I don't live to far away from work and civilization, and as for exploring, they've got me working almost every day, just not a lot of hours. I am a part timer after all. Grrrr. Definitely need a second job!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #1506
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Turns out the guy sold me all different tires, 13 inch, but different other measurements, from 55 to 65 etc. So they wouldn't put them on.
Yeah I hit an all-time low at that point. "

Any other places to have put tires on in Fairbanks?
Probably find a smaller shop ?
I can look, but my Subaru doesn't like having different tires on it either, my 4-wheel drive kicks into front wheel when one of the tires is different. I found that out driving with the spare.
I'll google about it and see if there is a small shop. Still waiting for the guy to call me back.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #1507
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
I have greatly enjoyed reading your RR. Our world views are somewhat divergent, but I appreciated seeing things through your eyes.

Quote:
I found it amusing getting to the end here to find that you have purchased what was essentially my first car--A burgundy Subaru 4WD station wagon with studded tires.
LOL, that is funny indeed!
Quote:
Earlier in your RR you mention getting or almost getting abducted years ago. I was wondering if that is a story you would be willing to briefly share? If its too personal to share I'd understand.
I was very young and in Israel at the time. I met a guy at a jewelry stand and he was selling some really neat handmade stuff. He asked me if I would like a job sitting at a stand like that selling jewelry. I said yes, because I didn't have much money and I thought it would be a great way to earn some income while traveling. He said to follow me to pick up my stuff to sell and the booth, and I walked with him through souks in Jerusalem. When we got to a motel he showed me the room where he stored his stuff and let me walk inside after which he closed the door.
He wasn't very smart though, seeing as my door had a tiny barred window in it that I could call out through.
Not too much later a couple from Holland (of all places) walked by and I told them what happened. They got the manager and he got me out of the room. I got lucky, it could have been way worse.

Quote:
Could you take a picture or two of your black folding foam tent seat thing in its deployed position so we can have a better look at it? I've seen seats similar to that one, but not that particular one.
That seat is at my friend Anna's house at the moment, but I got it from Costco.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #1508
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
There might have been a reason why the tyres looked like they all could do with some air.
On proper roads in good conditions tyres are best off with OEM tyre pressure.
In sand and snow, or even ice, you'll have more grip with some 20% less air in the tyres. On sand that effect is much bigger even with less pressure.

BTW, can you send me your address now for shipping the damper?
Thanks Brother, I send you a PM with address
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #1509
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Better check the car for gas leaks if it is bothering you that much. Oh and a 8 degrees you may see a few locals wearing tee shirts outside until it really gets cold.
Nah no gass leaks, just a sensitive nose
Old 11-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #1510
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal
...I named Mithrandir...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #1511
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
Glad to have made ou laugh Shane!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #1512
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
>"I can look, but my Subaru doesn't like having different tires on it either"

Yes, you need 4 tires of an equal diameter.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #1513
NomadGal OP
Esther

It's -25 outside, the roads are coated with ice, and everything looks mystical.
The sun tries to peek over the horizon and makes it for a short while.
Light at around 10 and dark at 4:30. Looks like we have one more month to go before we have the longest night.
I'm not missing the daylight yet, for when it is light the sunrise/set hue that lingers during the short day, colors the snow in yellows and pinks. gorgeous!
I'll take some pics tomorrow. Finally a day off again.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #1514
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,520
Good to hear from you. I've been wondering if you were effected by the power outage that's been in the news.

I recommend carrying some disposable hand warmers in your car. If you don't need em someone else might.

A headlamp can be a good thing too. Load it with lithium batteries as they work a lot better in the cold.

Glad to see you signed up for D2D. Hope you don't mind waiting till summer solstice for your departure. It'll be worth it!

Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #1515
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
It's -25 outside, the roads are coated with ice, and everything looks mystical.
The sun tries to peek over the horizon and makes it for a short while.
Light at around 10 and dark at 4:30. Looks like we have one more month to go before we have the longest night.
I'm not missing the daylight yet, for when it is light the sunrise/set hue that lingers during the short day, colors the snow in yellows and pinks. gorgeous! .
Ahh autumn in Alaska. Looking at your month ahead on Accuweather that should be about as cold as it gets for a while.. Enjoy and embrace all that is new. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fai...onyr=11/1/2013

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote