Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #1591
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Ester, It's time for you to come clean! You've got relatives in your closet it seems. you've mentioned a father once and a brother a few post back, and now NOMADBOY. AND ...you started out in Hawaii....before you freeze to death up there, you got to give some history to this soap opera you've got us hooked on :)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #1592
NomadBoy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hmmm, I think I do have a pretty good idea what the plans are, but I guess I should have written "plan to help build a hobbit-like house". My bad. Still, I don't think this will change any of the things I mentioned.

We've been thinking a good deal about this, and there are even a couple of other things I didn't mention about. Of course I'll gladly tell you about that next time I see you online and share some of our experiences. Meet me on Skype asap, ok?
NomadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #1593
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Most of what Nomadboy said is correct, but after having lived for 6 years in this specific mountain region, learning roads and places by heart, having met all the rurals in a 5-10km radius, our land purchase has not gone without extensive preparation and comparison. Different from rich "outsiders" that arrive from the big cities, grabbing the first available picturesque plot at top dollar, we, as locals were well-advised, -and well-warned about pitfalls of available plots. Government owned plots with private "right-of-use, plots without such a title, simply grabbed by locals, forest department owned pieces, agricultural plots too tiny or too steep to allow for legal building and agricultural plots that DO have the legal basis to develop and build a house upon. We bought the latter, after having observed the land's 4 access roads for 6 years, pummeled by dozens of typhoons and the biggest earthquake in 100 years. None of these events affected accessibility for more than 2 days in the last 10 years, and no recorded landslides around the land itself in 40 years. The land itself is in my name, so foreigners definitely CAN own land here, could so since 1989. Besides this, an agricultural dwelling like ours does not require a building permit. So far so good, not?
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #1594
Nomadmom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
skeletons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Ester, It's time for you to come clean! You've got relatives in your closet it seems. you've mentioned a father once and a brother a few post back, and now NOMADBOY. AND ...you started out in Hawaii....before you freeze to death up there, you got to give some history to this soap opera you've got us hooked on :)

Hi Esther, what do you think? Is it time to let the skeletons out of the closet?
Tell them where you were born and where you were raised? It's a pity I moved back from India. That would have made it more interesting, hahaha.
Anyway, you will let me know what you will do in the end: go to Taiwan or stay in Alaska.
Nomadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #1595
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmom View Post

Hi Esther, what do you think? Is it time to let the skeletons out of the closet?
Tell them where you were born and where you were raised? It's a pity I moved back from India. That would have made it more interesting, hahaha.
Anyway, you will let me know what you will do in the end: go to Taiwan or stay in Alaska.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #1596
NomadBoy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Haha Kenneth! You should have been NomadBro!
Thanks for the post, however, you misunderstood my post about the hobbit house. It's not going to be mine but Stan's!
He was offering to pay for my ticket there and some pocket money to help him built a "hobbit-like" home for him Rikki and Fela I have no intentions to live in Taiwan. However, I've seen some gorgeous photos of the country.
So if I were to go there, it would only be for a short while.
I do speak a few words of Mandarin
Languages have never been a problem for me, I spoke Hebrew fairly fluent after having spent 6 months in Israel. I think Taiwanese might be harder, but I'd be able to learn enough to get by for a while.
Some info about Taiwan:

There are many ways to get to know Taiwan. Taiwanese government welcome foreigners coming to visit the country. But there is a good way and a bad way to do this. When I was in Taiwan, like my mother, I learned some hard lessons about who to choose as friends. For example, I met a lot of washed-out English teachers coming from abroad to "live" in Taiwan, people who couldn't make it in their own country. Definately the wrong choice, unless you want to spend time drinking homebrew liquor and smoking pot all day. You don't want to put your trust in people like that! But of course, in rural areas everything is not as strict as in the bigger cities. Local governments are usually corrupt, which makes it easier to get things done, legal or not. And when you're married to a citizen, formalities become even easier. Some shifting around gets the job done.

Mountainous areas can be beautiful. You'll see a lot of plants, especially bin-lang trees, also known as betelnut. This "softdrug" literally grows on trees and is one of the many export-products of Taiwan. Tourists definately like to visit the shops where they sell these betelnuts. Downtown, it's easy to spot these shops, because they will have pretty young ladies sitting half-naked behind a glass window. Most local truckdrivers enjoy chewing these betelnuts, it's kind of a tradition. Sometimes, together with drinking, this will lead to severe accidents on the road, so when you're in the mountains, always watch out for those blue trucks!

If you like snakes, the mountain area is definately the place to go. No less than 50 different species live all around the island of Taiwan. But, be careful. Many of the snakes are venomous, and even if there is an anti-serum for the bite, hospitals may be far out of reach and you might die trying to get there in time. http://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/Start_Page_EN.htm Beautiful to look at, but too dangerous to get close to. Taiwan has a rich flora and fauna, and a beautiful coastline on the southern and eastern part of the island. I've been there, could show you some photos.

As for the people: Politics are a sensitive issue. Taiwan is occupied territory that's been getting bullied and harrassed by mainland China, who claims Taiwan as their own. This led to a lot of unwelcome Chinese moving to Taiwan, so it's important to show which side you're on. Taiwanese, like other Asians, are very polite, hospitable people who will never show you directly how they feel about you. This is also the reason behind their tolerance towards their occupiers whom they share the island with.

My wife and me both love Taiwan, and I was able to survive there due to the support of my wife. This is something very essential to know, because the biggest lesson I learned was that in some cases, you're better off putting your faith in deadly snakes and drunk truckdrivers than in some people! Again, we care deeply about you and we'd hate to see you plummit into the same misery which three others had to go through before you.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #1597
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Hmmm....That seems a little melodramatic for someone going to help a friend build a house, don't you think?
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #1598
timetrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hmmm....That seems a little melodramatic for someone going to help a friend build a house, don't you think?
Regards....justjeff
I think it is to help her brother build a house....of course he is also probably her friend.
timetrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #1599
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Ah yes, My bad!
jj
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #1600
NomadBoy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Regards....justjeff
I understand, and were it not for the past experience of at least three other people falling for a similar wild project (and the consequences thereof) I would have been the first one to encourage her to go on with it. There's a lot more background-information I cannot go into right now, but it's better to be warned beforehand then to suffer the same fate.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #1601
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBoy View Post
Again, we care deeply about you and we'd hate to see you plummit into the same misery which three others had to go through before you.
Thank you for the warning Kenneth, I am sure it comes from the heart.
However, I do believe that each and everyone of us is meant to experience certain things in life to learn from and to make us stronger. So even though it might be good to be forewarned, there is a negative aspect in that most people will change their attitude toward what they have heard, and expect that to happen. Most of the time what you expect in a negative way wail happen!
If I decide to go, I will go there with an open heart and mind, and experience what it is that I need to experience. I'm not into tourism or shopping, and prefer to be in deserted areas. Snakes would be a new experience, but I do not wish to be governed by fear. If and when I die I will. But to not do something for fear of dying would make a horrible and stifled life!
I'm still not decided if I"ll go or not, it all depends on how whether or not I get Spirit all fixed up before I do.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #1602
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Turns out that the mailman can no longer reach the mailboxes due to the piled up snow. So all the mail had been stacking up at the post office. My landlord got the warning and somehow forgot to tell us, even when I mentioned not having gotten any mail in days! So if he doesn't shove the snow aside with his tractor tomorrow, I might spend a day shoveling. I do like getting my mail, and not have to drive half an hour each way to get it
I got a bunch more Christmas cards, and will post the senders in a bit.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #1603
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thank you for the warning Kenneth, I am sure it comes from the heart.
However, I do believe that each and everyone of us is meant to experience certain things in life to learn from and to make us stronger. So even though it might be good to be forewarned, there is a negative aspect in that most people will change their attitude toward what they have heard, and expect that to happen. Most of the time what you expect in a negative way wail happen!
If I decide to go, I will go there with an open heart and mind, and experience what it is that I need to experience. I'm not into tourism or shopping, and prefer to be in deserted areas. Snakes would be a new experience, but I do not wish to be governed by fear. If and when I die I will. But to not do something for fear of dying would make a horrible and stifled life!
I'm still not decided if I"ll go or not, it all depends on how whether or not I get Spirit all fixed up before I do.
Hi,

I'm still following along watching what you are up too. AK was a dream of mine at one time so this part of your adventure I'm enjoying very much.

I completely agree with what said above. Over the years there have been people concerned about me because of my venturing out on my own. A long time ago I thought long and hard about the warnings and thought about my own "backyard". No one was ever concerned about me going to a grocery store, a mall or downtown shopping alone but they were concerned about me riding across the state, to another state, and across the country on my own. Meanwhile, right here in my own "safe" little community picking up a newspaper or watching the news would reveal the latest violent crime that was committed including, at that time, a serial rapist claiming victims one after the other.

The point is "stuff" happens every where and there are dangers every where. There are things you need to be cautious of no matter where you are. Snakes might be a hazard in one place meanwhile others are terrified of the thought of grizzlies in AK. Both are things you need to know about and know what to do if you encounter one but not neccessarily be afriad of. With that said I do an unreasonable fear of snakes and the biggest threat for me would be dying of a heart attack from the stupid fear (it doesn't matter how small or if they are poisonous or not). Even with that fear I still go hiking in the deserts around here where rattlers are pleniful.

Hmmmmm that got a little long winded.

If you decide to go to Taiwan to help your brother build a house I'm sure it will be an amazing experience. I will be following along as I'm sure many others will.

From what I have read it seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and keen senses for reading people, seeing into their soul to determine if they are good people or not. Keep following your heart it will take you where you need to be.

Like always if you get down to my corner of the world be sure to let me know. I enjoy your view of things, life and how you are living.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #1604
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I completely agree with what said above. Over the years there have been people concerned about me because of my venturing out on my own. A long time ago I thought long and hard about the warnings and thought about my own "backyard". No one was ever concerned about me going to a grocery store, a mall or downtown shopping alone but they were concerned about me riding across the state, to another state, and across the country on my own. Meanwhile, right here in my own "safe" little community picking up a newspaper or watching the news would reveal the latest violent crime that was committed including, at that time, a serial rapist claiming victims one after the other.

The point is "stuff" happens every where and there are dangers every where. There are things you need to be cautious of no matter where you are. Snakes might be a hazard in one place meanwhile others are terrified of the thought of grizzlies in AK. Both are things you need to know about and know what to do if you encounter one but not necessarily be afraid of. With that said I do an unreasonable fear of snakes and the biggest threat for me would be dying of a heart attack from the stupid fear (it doesn't matter how small or if they are poisonous or not). Even with that fear I still go hiking in the deserts around here where rattlers are plentiful.
Like always if you get down to my corner of the world be sure to let me know. I enjoy your view of things, life and how you are living.
Well said. This forum needs a "like" button

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #1605
Gedrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
In Ted Simon's words

"It is often the places people warn you not to go to where you will have the richest experience." In a recent interview Ted Simon gave with the Adventure Biker Magazine. For those who don't know him he wrote the iconic "Jupiter's Travels" The view we have of a place is often the sum of our experiences and how we react to those experiences. Respect the customs respect the culture and you will enjoy it wherever you go.

I can attest to this when I was still living in South Africa I had a second job that took me into the townships which everyone thought was crazy but the people and the experience was fantastic and I still remember the people and the fun about the ups and downs. I did it for three years right up until I left for the UK. I miss SA 365 days a year biking weather.

And in Richard Branson's word "Screw it lets do it".
Gedrog is online now   Reply With Quote