User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #1636
Semgrude
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi, NomadGal!

"I got my furthest away card yet. From Jose in Brazil. I was able to read most of it Jose, even though it was in Portuguese, but I have to admit I had a little trouble with deciphering your handwriting. Please let me know what your ADV handle is, I couldn't read it."

Fine to know that my little card from the SE of Brazil has arrived in Fairbanks, AK. And happy to see it on your wall.
This is the first time I post in ADV. Your beautiful trip and photos are the culprits for attracting me here and making me dare to write bad English.
Oh... my card written in Portuguese - I did so 'cause I was sure you'd understand it. Sorry for my handwriting, eh?
Dear Esther, accept a warm, brotherly big hug from your friend
Jose

PS - By the way, now it's 29ºC here (84F?). A little different from Fairbanks...

Semgrude screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 05:09 AM
Semgrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #1637
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
It is starting to get colder again. Right now, at 9:30 PM it is a nippy -23 outside. Nice and cozy warm inside though

I had told myself last year (hehe) that once the New Year started I would go and clean out the garage, and get Spirit ready for her make-over. I decided to not wait for my landlord to haul his stuff (had a not so nice word in mind at first) out of the garage so I would finally have some room. So seeing as he has this shack on the property that doesn't have a heater in it, I figured it would be okay to store his junk in there.
I spend my day off trudging through the snow carrying mattresses, TVs, foam pads, etc into the shack. The couch was way too heavy so I asked my upstairs neighbor to help me carry it in front of my garage under the awning where already a bunch of trash is parked. After that a good sweeping was in order. I parked Spirit sideways so I could work on her and walk around her. This whole time I have been here, I had a full tank on her, so I decided to go and put it in Mithrandir's tank. Hmmm, easier said than done! The tank is recessed too deep to reach without a nozzle, so in the end I piled a bunch of chairs on top of each other and stuck the rubber hose on my tank lid inside the car's tank and put the IMS tank upside down. It took hours to drain 6 gallons into my car that way, but it worked!
While the gas was draining I build a shelf on the wall with some left over kitchen shelving, and finally finished building the second divider, with a doorway in it, between the garage area and my living area.

As you can see, there is still one huge TV inside. I can't lift that bugger, it weighs a ton!!

I am stoked! No more gasoline smell, cause Spirit's tank is empty and because of the divider.

Work has slowed down a lot and I applied at 4 different places. Have yet to hear from any of them

Now on another note!
Laughter is the best thing, so I am hoping that I will be able to convey a mental image that will make you laugh and cheer up your day.
When I am staying at home I often have my one-sie on, I made it when it started getting cold, so today was no exception.

Yeah I know, very childish and meant for a 2 year old, but I just loved that print

I was having a pretty good day sewing my new Valentine's day apron for work when some weird noise kept on bugging me. At first I thought someone was using a chainsaw to cut a tree down, but it didn't quite sound like that. I looked outside and saw someone in a jacket jumping up and down just past my drive-way. It looked like she was trying to stay warm. It was already -15 by then.
I thought that person was waiting for the taxi so I sat back down and sewed some more.
Then 10 minutes later, still hearing that some noise off and on, I looked outside again, this time opening the door.
What I couldn't see before was a woman on a snowmobile revving the engine over and over again. So I figured maybe she was stuck.
Now I do something stupid and I put on my little crock boots (having only thin socks on) and tossing a thin jacket over my one-sies, I walk outside and up to where the woman is stuck in the snow. I ask her if she needs help, and she said, " Yes please!" I walked back to the house to get a shovel and help dig her out a bit. Half of my brain was saying go inside and put on some warmer clothes, and the other half said, nah, I can handle this. As soon as I grabbed the shovel I knew I should have grabbed my mittens at least! Well to make a long story short, it took us half an hour of digging and pushing and revving snow machine back and forth before we got her out and back on the snow track. By that time my feet felt like popsicle sticks and my hands were pretty numb. But it felt great that we got it out.
Now, who would have thought it once the snow packs into your boot, that it is almost impossible to remove your foot from it??? I got to a point where I thought of just lying on my back on the floor with my feet up in the air, so the snow would fall out; but I didn't fancy laying on the cold wet floor, and eventually got my icy feet out of the boots.

Yup, I should have pulled my pants over the boots before running out there! It even have elastic in the legs!

I warmed up in no time, and my feet got toasty warm inside my little furry house shoes.
Still, it felt great to be a good Samaritan for a change, seeing as I normally I find myself on the receiving end instead of the giving.
I kept on sewing and finished my little Valentines apron.
This should give you another laugh!

Sorry no face, was having a bad hair day
That's the news for this week, wish me good luck on getting another job!
I can't wait to hit the road again, at night in my dreams I am riding, but not Spirit though, some fancy bike actually, Hmmmm!

NomadGal screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 12:34 AM
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #1638
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
What do you mean ''bad hair day"?? Everyone in the frozen North gets that in the winter......It's just " Toque Hair " Nothing to be ashamed of!!
Good Luck in your job hunting!!

Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #1639
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

Sorry no face, was having a bad hair day
That's the news for this week, wish me good luck on getting another job!
I can't wait to hit the road again, at night in my dreams I am riding, but not Spirit though, some fancy bike actually, Hmmmm!
After all you have been through you are worried about a bad hair day?
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #1640
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
After all you have been through you are worried about a bad hair day?
Haha, Yup! I am still coming to terms with being pretty darn grey, and the stigma that comes with it.
I have been thoroughly brainwashed by society!!
My mom started turning grey at an early age, her sister even earlier. I was in my early thirties when my first grey hairs started appearing, and I have been dying my hair of and on since then. I got tired of putting chemicals on my head just so I would look younger. Not sure why I have a hard time looking older but there it is! I do. LOL!
So yeah, eventually I will post pic of me looking totally different, just not yet! Vanity, ouch, once more thing to let go off!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #1641
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Some of the guys I know have also had a problem when their hair turned grey so they just CUT IT OFF!! Bald is beautiful baby!!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #1642
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Gray hair can be sexy, just sayin.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #1643
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 888
Love the thread !

Good Luck on the job hunt!

How much do you charge for the aprons? J/k ! My mom made me some pj pants like your duckie onsie, & can't deny that they are super warm.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #1644
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 2,027
[QUOTE=NomadGal;23195387]Haha, Yup! I am still coming to terms with being pretty darn grey, and the stigma that comes with it.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
Gray hair can be sexy, just sayin.
I started graying young, colored it for a while only because there wasn't enough of it. No color now and I love my gray, I look older, but I don't feel it - that's all that's important! It's way easier not having to keep up with keeping the roots covered!!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #1645
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
It's been a long time since Star Wars came out. I wonder if Chewbaca has turned gray...or bald!
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #1646
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
It's been a long time since Star Wars came out. I wonder if Chewbaca has turned gray...or bald!
No too long in Wookiee years though...

"Life cycle
Wookiees were a long-lived people, with a lifespan of several standard centuries." from this source http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee
Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #1647
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 970
Missed this one. Better mark it....
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #1648
NomadGal OP
Esther

It's been a mellow week. I ended up working quite a few hours more than scheduled, which is awesome as they only gave me 5 hours this week. Taught quite a few classes and had some of the "students" sign up for more.
Then this morning my boss told me that they were going to X out the classes! Great!
She said that if I wanted to continue giving classes I could talk to the distract manager next week and give her my take on why to keep the classes, and that I would be willing to take over the education department.
If that happens then I actually get a pretty full schedule, teaching and co-ordinating the classes as well as making all the displays and creating the samples. That actually sounds really nice, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Had to stop and take a pic of the little piece of rainbow going straight up

When the sun shines in -40 temps, you ca actually see the h20 particles in the air. it is an amazing thing to behold, like dust shimmering in front of your window when the sun shines, but this time it is frozen humidity. It literally sparkles and makes the air in front of you absolutely magical. I could not get it to show in the picture the sparkles are so minute.
I took a pic of my cargo rails on the car where the moisture landed

I thought this was pretty hilarious! No it is not a frozen shark! It's the back of a car that has it's license plate totally frozen and snowed over.
I could not think of a better getaway car than this!! Somehow this doesn't bother the police? Guess there are just too may license plates covered like this...

It was snowing again today and just as lovely as ever.
Went to the job market and applied for a few more jobs.
I even went and applied at REI that isn't even open yet, looks like this spring.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #1649
ninjadance
PAW

Oddometer: 22
great photos! its just sooo darn glittery up there. i love the sundog too.
ninjadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #1650
NomadGal OP
Esther

Got a call from Barnes & Noble yesterday if I wanted to come in for an interview.
Yippee, I went in and all went well. Going to orientation on Tuesday.
Forgot to ask how much I would make an hour, but if I do end up getting the EDU job at Joann's I don't mind not making too much there. Still working 2 jobs….. Hope I have time to work on Spirit. At least I'll finally be able to buy the parts I need to fix her up.