Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #1651
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
Woahhhh……. got a really nice surprise today!
Thank you so much DRDUBB for the generous contribution! I ha no idea you had send it so I just found out today.
Spirit thanks you too, she's looking forward to getting some new parts on her.

Today I'm going to have to sit down and write a list of all I need to get to have her road ready in June.
Even though I am happy to be here in Fairbanks making some money (soon) I miss being on the road.
I think I've learned a lot on my trip, and this time around there are things I'll do differently though.
I really loved my tent, but after seeing the French bicyclist's tent I realize that having a tent that allows you to put the outside up first is definitely the way to go! No more need for tarps, and if I do decide to bring one, I have discovered that really thin (albeit really expensive) tarps exist. I am so going to get one if I decide on it. They fold up the size of a small pocket book and are totally strong and water repellent.
More later
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #1652
NomadGal OP
Esther

Had my orientation at B&N yesterday. Pretty cool place to work, great benefits etc.
I've had my eye on one of those beautiful leather journals for a while now.
I'd better not spend too much of my earnings in that place. It's full time, and hopefully I can add the other job to it and make some serous dough for the road!
The weather is uncharacteristically warm! Low thirties and supposed to get into the forties on Friday. Yikes, not good! It basically means mushy roads before it starts freezing again, and then the roads are like ice skating rinks…..
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #1653
shrekk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
New Job

Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out well for you.
shrekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #1654
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your time working at B&N. Watch out for those ice sharks (loved that photo)
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #1655
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
My 2 cents...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Some of the guys I know have also had a problem when their hair turned grey so they just CUT IT OFF!! Bald is beautiful baby!!
Regards....justjeff

Didn't bother me when my hair turned gray..............
It bothered me when it turned loose..................
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #1656
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
So I'm not sure of your plans for the spring, but if you ride down the Alcan through Ft St John, let me know and I'll buy you a coffee or something.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #1657
iloco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Been following your ride since page 1. Really enjoying your travels. If you ever get to Va and need a place to stay you have one for as long as you need.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #1658
NomadGal OP
Esther

Haven't posted for a little while as I was a tad too tired to do so.
Hmmm having 2 jobs really zaps your energy! LOL
I'm getting settled into my new job at Barnes and Noble, and I really like it. I do prefer teaching the classes, but being around books and good people is fun too. Plus I make a very decent salary now, which really is amazing. They pay every week, and that in itself is a major plus!! No more trying to make $50 last for 2 weeks!!
The weather has been really mild, and it has been so sunny!! Some mornings as I ride into town I can see the mountain range in the distance. Just awesome. I do miss Valdez a lot, and part of me wished I had stayed there.
The way the sun hits the snow here is magical, and the colors turn golden.

The picture doesn't do it justice

Every day I experience a little of the law of attraction. Some days more intense than the other.
I had wanted to paint the inside of the garage, but couldn't really afford to spend $20 or more per gallon of paint.
Then one day I went to the dump again to snoop around and guess what I found??!!

3 unopened, never used cans of interior latex paint. White so I can take it to Lowes and have them add some color!

Then occasionally I saw people in their nice warm down Jackets and I wished I had a warm coat under which I could just wear my work shirt and not have to remove all those layers. I walked into the thrift shop one day and what did I find?
For $14.99 a down jacket, that looked barely used and is very warm.

Maybe not the most fashionable color, but I love blue and I am visible!

Also, my new upstairs neighbor left and no one has moved in since. So I only have other my noisy upstairs neighbor to contend with. I think she might be going on vacation soon. That would mean a few nights without earplugs! Now that would be awesome.

Still haven't gotten around to making a list of parts I need for Spirit but it can wait a little while longer. Once I get into the grove of things job wise I can slowly start working toward it. Next Wednesday is my first day off in a while. Yippee!!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #1659
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your time working at B&N. Watch out for those ice sharks (loved that photo)
Yep I am enjoying myself!! Glad you liked that photo, I couldn't resist getting out of the car and taking a shot of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekk View Post
Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out well for you.
Thanks Shrekk, so far it has been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
Didn't bother me when my hair turned gray..............
It bothered me when it turned loose..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
So I'm not sure of your plans for the spring, but if you ride down the Alcan through Ft St John, let me know and I'll buy you a coffee or something.
Remind me when I get nearer to you!!! Thanks for the offer already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloco View Post
Been following your ride since page 1. Really enjoying your travels. If you ever get to Va and need a place to stay you have one for as long as you need.
I will let you know, I loved Virginia!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #1660
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Congrats on the job and a warm place to stay.
Which way are you coming south in the spring ? Vancouver Island is pretty but the BC ferries are expensive . But motorcycles load first ;-)
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #1661
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by B50Paul View Post
Congrats on the job and a warm place to stay.
Which way are you coming south in the spring ? Vancouver Island is pretty but the BC ferries are expensive . But motorcycles load first ;-)
Seeing as I came up via Vancouver island I don't think I'll head back down that way, that seems like a waste of money. And yes, I know that the ferries are expensive!
I'm thinking of going east via Jasper and Bannf and just hanging in Canada untilI hit Newfoundland.
A lot of it will depend on whether or not GoalZero will have shows in Canada this summer
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #1662
NomadGal OP
Esther

I keep on getting spoiled and surprised!
Thank you so much John S. for your donation! I will most certainly spend it on Spirit! She's the one that's gong to get spoiled for a while.

I've been looking at tents that allow you to put the outside (i.e. fly ) up first and then the inside. This is really cool when it rains. Whoah! those kind of tents are super expensive! So my next project might be making one of them myself. One of the girls on the ADV Facebook page for women gave me a link to a company that sells the waterproof tent material.
I'm going to order some swatches and figure out how much I'll need.
They even sell the mosquito netting etc. I think I can create the most awesome tent, one that fits my every need.
Hmmmm, I might even make an attachment for Spirit.

This morning it snowed, a lot! about 6 inches I think. Awesome, I am still loving it.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #1663
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Seeing as I came up via Vancouver island I don't think I'll head back down that way, that seems like a waste of money. And yes, I know that the ferries are expensive!
I'm thinking of going east via Jasper and Bannf and just hanging in Canada untilI hit Newfoundland.
A lot of it will depend on whether or not GoalZero will have shows in Canada this summer
If you are thinking of traveling West to East through Canada you may want to check out parts of the newly mapped Trans Canada Adventure Trail or "TCAT" on this site: http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...id=2&Itemid=20 It is a coast to coast primarily off pavement trail. Some sections may be more technical than what you may be interested in but much of it follows on gravel roads. Much more interesting than traveling on the Trans Canada Highway for 3000 miles!! I have not ridden it yet but plan on traveling parts in the future as time permits. Clic on the link, then "routes" then "Trans Canada Adventure Trail" for excellent descriptions of the trail. Maybe we could meet if you're going to Tour Canada!

Best Regards....justjeff

P.S. I forgot to mention , You can download the TCAT or any of the other routes from their site for free!
jj

just jeff screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 08:59 PM
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #1664
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"I've been looking at tents that allow you to put the outside (i.e. fly ) up first and then the inside."

Just get a waterproof tarp... and put it up first.
Then put the tent up.

Waterproof Nylon tarps are really light and pack very small.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #1665
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
I have the Redvrz expedition 2. It's worth it's weight in gold when it's storming. I also have a water proof tarp and hammock that I made myself. I bought cheap rip stop nylon from walmart and sewed up what I wanted. to waterproof, i mixed up a tube of clear caulking from home depot and a can of laquer thinner. then i soaked my tarp and totally coated it with the slurry, then a line dry. I always hang it first and then hang the hammock. I''ve only used it once when it was raining and it did not leak a drop--aned it rained hard for several hours. for the mosquito netting, i used bridal veil type material from wal mart that hangs over a ridgeline and drapes the sides of my hammock. i carry my tarp and hammock in addition to my redverz tent sine there are not always trees, and sometimes too many trees to find a suitable spot for my tent.