Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #1711
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
I just bought a new tent for half the price! It's last years model , but pretty much what I was looking for. It even is the color I wanted, Green! Better to hide
I can pitch the fly up first on rainy days, which is really going to be something that will make life easier.

It has lots of room for my gear in the "shed" and space for cooking on rainy days.
Normally $500 but I got it for $250, free shipping too at REI.
The awesome thing is, it only weighs 4 lbs (or was it 3??)
I think the only drawback is that it does not have a window, but you now me! I have a sewing machine and I can buy clear vinyl at Joanns that might work just fine. I just don't like the idea of not being able to see outside.
I'm stoked! I really like the Hilleberg tents, but boy, I didn't want to spend $800 on one.
NomadGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #1712
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I just bought a new tent for half the price! It's last years model , but pretty much what I was looking for. It even is the color I wanted, Green! Better to hide
I can pitch the fly up first on rainy days, which is really going to be something that will make life easier.

It has lots of room for my gear in the "shed" and space for cooking on rainy days.
Normally $500 but I got it for $250, free shipping too at REI.
The awesome thing is, it only weighs 4 lbs (or was it 3??)
I think the only drawback is that it does not have a window, but you now me! I have a sewing machine and I can buy clear vinyl at Joanns that might work just fine. I just don't like the idea of not being able to see outside.
I'm stoked! I really like the Hilleberg tents, but boy, I didn't want to spend $800 on one.

Back packer mag. had review on this tent the only bad issue was the condensation in cold weather other than that it was good.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #1713
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Nice tent,I'll look it up
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #1714
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 401
Looks like a nice tent at a great price. MSR quality is usually quite good. FWIW, this model is designed so the rain fly can be rolled up in good weather for visibility and better air circulation. You might want to use it before cutting out a window. There are multiple reasons for not adding a 'plastic' window.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #1715
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Found it on REI,very nice,thanks for the heads up,gonna see if I can budget that.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #1716
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
The Road to Fairbanks

Hey Ester...

GrizzLee and Yukon Johann here.

I have a surprise for you here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=953161&page=3

Your greasy hands and all

A little later you see us on the Alcan again.

Take care. We've been following you and your northern adventures ever since we returned back to Seattle.

BTW: Nice tent.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #1717
geoffrey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
new bike

e...just got new honda in mex..registered in guanajuato state..wondering if legal ton ride north..spending lot of time in maine due to mom failing health..maybe see you there in spring?
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #1718
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Looks like a nice tent at a great price. MSR quality is usually quite good. FWIW, this model is designed so the rain fly can be rolled up in good weather for visibility and better air circulation. You might want to use it before cutting out a window. There are multiple reasons for not adding a 'plastic' window.
Haha, yep I know the door can roll up, but on rainy or cold days it would be nice to be able to look out! I get a tad claustrophobic if I can't see out! Hence the plastic window. My previous tent had one in each vestibule! I loved them, and never had any problem with leaks or anything!! So I can't see any reasons why I shouldn't have a window
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #1719
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Found it on REI,very nice,thanks for the heads up,gonna see if I can budget that.
Cool! glad you liked it too! PS you need the footprint if you want to set up the fly first. I have seen them on Amazon, REI is out of them, they only have the Hubba Hubba NX footprint, which I am not sure if it is the same size.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #1720
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Hey Ester...

GrizzLee and Yukon Johann here.

I have a surprise for you here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=953161&page=3

Your greasy hands and all

A little later you see us on the Alcan again.

Take care. We've been following you and your northern adventures ever since we returned back to Seattle.

BTW: Nice tent.
AAWWWWW! Snif sniff! Seeing myself ride made my heart stop, all of a sudden I missed it so much! This time around Spirit won't be as loaded up! Got a smaller tent, found a way small (when packed) but still 30 inch wide Nemo sleeping pad with build in foot pump (instead of my huge roll I had on the back of my bike!) Gonna take less clothes leave my paints and yarn behind (maybe stick to cross stitch that doesn't take up so much space) and am still looking for some sort of fold up bench seat that I can use inside the tent to comfortably sit. I love my alite seat, but can't use that inside the tent. But then again, maybe with the new shed addition I might be able to sit inside there. Hmmmmm.
Thanks for showing me. I might want to invest in a GoPro too, still debating, it depends on hoe much money I have left after I am done working!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #1721
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
e...just got new honda in mex..registered in guanajuato state..wondering if legal ton ride north..spending lot of time in maine due to mom failing health..maybe see you there in spring?
Hey G, not spring, it will take me a while ere I get to Nova Scotia and Labrador, then going down to Maine will take even longer! Post pic of Honda!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #1722
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
AAWWWWW! Snif sniff! Seeing myself ride made my heart stop, all of a sudden I missed it so much! This time around Spirit won't be as loaded up! Got a smaller tent, found a way small (when packed) but still 30 inch wide Nemo sleeping pad with build in foot pump (instead of my huge roll I had on the back of my bike!) Gonna take less clothes leave my paints and yarn behind (maybe stick to cross stitch that doesn't take up so much space) and am still looking for some sort of fold up bench seat that I can use inside the tent to comfortably sit. I love my alite seat, but can't use that inside the tent. But then again, maybe with the new shed addition I might be able to sit inside there. Hmmmmm.
Thanks for showing me. I might want to invest in a GoPro too, still debating, it depends on hoe much money I have left after I am done working!
We met a gent in Whitehorse who gave you a tube. As I recall, you put an over sized tube in at Watson Lake and of course that didn't last too long. I think it is so cool that you are doing this life experience trip. You are one tough cookie.

Looking forward to your adventures as you depart Fairbanks.

Yeah, get a GoPro and add some flavor to your experience. I wish I had made video of us guys standing around while you fixed your bike at Watson Lake. That was hilarious. Chivalry was definitely running a bit low on that day.

BTW: I lost alot of video and pics due to my hard drive getting corrupted. I suspect the hard dirt really bumped my laptop around. My backup USB drive died in Fairbanks. So I lost a bit of the stuff I had archived already.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #1723
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
We met a gent in Whitehorse who gave you a tube. As I recall, you put an over sized tube in at Watson Lake and of course that didn't last too long.
The only reason it didn't last too long was because I had forgotten about the valve ring, which ended up stuck between the tire and the tube. I poked a hole in the tube.

Quote:
I think it is so cool that you are doing this life experience trip. You are one tough cookie.
Gotten soft again

Quote:
Yeah, get a GoPro and add some flavor to your experience. I wish I had made video of us guys standing around while you fixed your bike at Watson Lake. That was hilarious. Chivalry was definitely running a bit low on that day.
It's all G, I didn't mind you guys standing around watching me, it did make me wonder though
Quote:
BTW: I lost alot of video and pics due to my hard drive getting corrupted. I suspect the hard dirt really bumped my laptop around. My backup USB drive died in Fairbanks. So I lost a bit of the stuff I had archived already.
Bummer!! I would have cried!!

NomadGal screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 07:48 PM
Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #1724
ninjadance
PAW

Oddometer: 20
i get claustrophobic too. i was thinking it might be better to silicone the vinyl
window in, rather than sew it, or silicone a nylon frame over the edges? you could even do a narrow fabric awning/drip-cap over the top of the window to prevent rain covering it - give me 5 more minutes and i'll come up with more : D
ninjadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #1725
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 148
NomadGal,

If you are doing Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Maine then you will be passing right by our place in Moncton, New Brunswick. Lots of tools, bike ramp, spare room, etc and you are welcome to stay. Just give a shout via PM when you are getting close.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote