Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #1726
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
go-pro

He Gal,

Is this not a good option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gopro-Hero-H...item1c3dbc4dea

I mean, getting the latest model, fully equipped is nice, but the expenses vs. the advantages, and especially vs the risks of loss, theft, and dropping the bike...
Just a thought.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #1727
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjadance View Post
i get claustrophobic too. i was thinking it might be better to silicone the vinyl
window in, rather than sew it, or silicone a nylon frame over the edges? you could even do a narrow fabric awning/drip-cap over the top of the window to prevent rain covering it - give me 5 more minutes and i'll come up with more : D
I am thinking that with the amount of tension, when I stake the fly down snuggly, the glue is going to come undone. My Eureka tent had the Exclamation marks sewn in the as well, then covered the seams with silicone strips to make it water tight.If I do the fly door the same way I will have both strength and waterproofing.
Thanks for the thoughts though.
It should come in tomorrow! I'm excited
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #1728
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
NomadGal,

If you are doing Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Maine then you will be passing right by our place in Moncton, New Brunswick. Lots of tools, bike ramp, spare room, etc and you are welcome to stay. Just give a shout via PM when you are getting close.
Thanks riverman, I will send you a PM when I am in the neighborhood. You might have to remind me once I get nearby, in case I space it
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #1729
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
He Gal,

Is this not a good option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gopro-Hero-H...item1c3dbc4dea

I mean, getting the latest model, fully equipped is nice, but the expenses vs. the advantages, and especially vs the risks of loss, theft, and dropping the bike...
Just a thought.
I saw it! Awesome deal, still, I have to wait for that luxury.
Got to get my teeth fixed first, no idea how much the dentist will charge. At least I have dental insurance now, with a decent deductible.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #1730
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 371
http://vio-pov.com/pov-hd
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #1731
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
dental..

Dental care would be another perk if we could get the hobbit cob building project going here.. 5-star dental care for free. Me and the wife been doing the most expensive treatments available these last 6 months; 7 titanium implants, a few root canals, several crowns and multiple bone grafts for the equivalent of the price of 6 fillings at a local dentist in Milwaukee. You gotta love Taiwan. I can finally crack a full smile again after 20 years.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #1732
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
That is just plain awesome!! Wonder how it would do riding in pouring rain?
Still, having a fancy gadget like that will only happen if I end up with more money that I need to make it across Canada and down to the US. So far that is not looking to likely!
Thanks for the tip though!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #1733
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
Dental care would be another perk if we could get the hobbit cob building project going here.. 5-star dental care for free. Me and the wife been doing the most expensive treatments available these last 6 months; 7 titanium implants, a few root canals, several crowns and multiple bone grafts for the equivalent of the price of 6 fillings at a local dentist in Milwaukee. You gotta love Taiwan. I can finally crack a full smile again after 20 years.
I now what you mean, can't wait to get all my teeth fixed up!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #1734
NomadGal OP
Esther

Actually earning money on a regular basis is kinda weird. I like it for a little while, but I have to admit that I am already getting tired of the working scene!! Can't wait to hit the road again.

I've done some serious damage to my savings though, got the tent, which proved to be awesome! Put it up in my living room and I love it. They made the bag too large, so I will change it so it's more compact. I'm pretty good at folding stuff up small
I also ordered the footprint from Amazon, it needs it if I want to be able to set the fly up first.
Then I went and ordered a memo inflatable sleeping pad. This guy is just as wide as my old one, but only 1/3 of the size packed up, and lighter!! I love the little inbuilt foot pump.

Then I found a pretty cool dry bag to pack my clothes and sleeping bag and pad in, so Spirit will look a lot more compactly packed.

It doesn't look like it, but this bag is 30" wide! there is a cool youtube video on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiaitzctH1s

Then to top it off, I found a great deal at the motorcycle closeout store, some new pants and jacket!

I got the both of them for $169. I did order the pants too large, as the small one had too short of an inseam. I figured I could probably strap it tighter somehow.

a link to see what the jacket is like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvYltnDxkII

Well, I am done with shopping for a while, next up new glasses, contacts, and dentist fees.
After that I'll start ordering bike parts. Luckily I don't need too many things even though it will add up:
new rear shock,
oil seals for front fork
battery
drive sprocket
wheel bearings
swing arm bearings ??
kick stand (I think my old one is getting warped!)
and a few little minor things like nuts and bolts, shims etc.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #1735
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,759
I've got a fresh shock I can ship ya...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #1736
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I've got a fresh shock I can ship ya...
I'll text ya!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #1737
NomadGal OP
Esther

Ahem!!! Holy cow, no idea that a decent shock could be a much as $750! Yikes.
I them found this link here on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704068
Hmmmmm, maybe a cheaper shock but with this spring on it? the 7.4 should cover me and all my gear just fine
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #1738
NomadGal OP
Esther

Yippee! Got my Nemo pad in. Wow! It is pretty small all rolled up…

My old one and the new one

The build in foot pump works well, but it does take a bit more than a minute to pump up. I tried to see if I can do it with my hands in case it is pouring outside and I have to do it inside the tent. Yep it worked fine that way too. I guess I can always use the other valve to blow it up, I get very lightheaded doing that though, so I'd rather not.

It does look like the photo online

Has a huge plug on the back to quickly get the air out

And a small valve to let the air out a little at a time in case I blew it up too hard. Or to blow it up manually

The best thing is, I was able to roll it up the way it came with no difficulty.

Have to admit that even though it is comfortable, it doesn't feel as comfy as my old pad. I am happy enough with it though, as I save a lot of space with it!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #1739
DrydenRider
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Ahem!!! Holy cow, no idea that a decent shock could be a much as $750! Yikes.
I them found this link here on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704068
Hmmmmm, maybe a cheaper shock but with this spring on it? the 7.4 should cover me and all my gear just fine
Had a shock done at TopGun this winter. Pretty much overnight turnaround once they get it. Shipped it from Minnesota on a Monday, they got it on Wednesday and it was back in the mail to me on Thursday. $195 for full rebuild along with the upgrade 7.4 spring. Have not had a chance to try it yet. Still too much snow.
DrydenRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #1740
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Had a shock done at TopGun this winter. Pretty much overnight turnaround once they get it. Shipped it from Minnesota on a Monday, they got it on Wednesday and it was back in the mail to me on Thursday. $195 for full rebuild along with the upgrade 7.4 spring. Have not had a chance to try it yet. Still too much snow.
You will likely have to a add a week or two for the border crossings (Canada-US-Canada) and be sure to have proof of purchase or customs may want to charge duty for a new shock and not the repair.