User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #1741
geoffrey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
registration

hawaii has new inspection law where the inspector has to take pictures of the bike for dmv...real drag...so i cant get bike reged no mo fo u..i am now transferring all titles to maine...i pay 21 a year with no inspections on my older bmw's and not much more for newer bikes (my mexico moto was 23.00) i have the drz sitting in garage in portland getting lonely with hawaii plates also
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #1742
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
You will likely have to a add a week or two for the border crossings (Canada-US-Canada) and be sure to have proof of purchase or customs may want to charge duty for a new shock and not the repair.
I've had all my purchases in a matter of days, shipped form the mainland. So far no time delay.
But I will think of that and do it soon.
But…….. how would customs know I put a new shock on my bike?? And more why would they care?
I am in the US and it's a US purchase so it seems moot.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #1743
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
hawaii has new inspection law where the inspector has to take pictures of the bike for dmv...real drag...so i cant get bike reged no mo fo u..i am now transferring all titles to maine...i pay 21 a year with no inspections on my older bmw's and not much more for newer bikes (my mexico moto was 23.00) i have the drz sitting in garage in portland getting lonely with hawaii plates also
That's ok G! I now have both an expired safety check and registration. Maybe I'll get an Alaskan registration on the bike. Would hate to give up my Hawaiian one though. Maybe I'll email them and tell them my situation, and that even though I am still registered in Hawaii, I've spend a few years roaming. LOL, I wonder what they would say about that.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #1744
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 672
Shock

Esther, long time no see. I was reading your thread after a long hiatus and noticed you need a shock. Would a stock KLR shock do for you? I have one with about 3000 miles on it. I will donate it if that is what you want. I am coming back to Fairbanks on April 7 and can bring it. Dick

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #1745
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I've had all my purchases in a matter of days, shipped form the mainland. So far no time delay.
But I will think of that and do it soon.
But…….. how would customs know I put a new shock on my bike?? And more why would they care?
I am in the US and it's a US purchase so it seems moot.
That is right. The folks at top gun are good. Email them and ship the shock and they will have you turned around pretty quick.
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #1746
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
That is right. The folks at top gun are good. Email them and ship the shock and they will have you turned around pretty quick.
Thanks for the heads up! Both JettnJim and Cubdriver offered me a better stock shock than the one I have on it now. (wore it out since I got it from Logan in New Mexico), so I think I will do that. Beats spending $750 on one of those progressive ones. I'm sure they are worth it, but I would have had to have worked somewhere else (i.e. gotten paid a bit more than I have been).
Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #1747
NomadGal OP
Esther

I have the morning off, and found out that the pants I ordered from motorcycle closeouts.com were unfortunately out of stock. Bummer. They did have the newer version but $40 more.
Then a thought struck me, I wondered if they would be willing to sponsor me, so I asked the girl on the phone and she said sometimes they do. So I went and sent them an email.
I am not really sure on how to go about getting sponsored but I wrote as much as I thought pertinent and gave them the link here to ADV. We'll see!!

I also found a large 12 x 10 feet nylon waterproof tarp on amazon for only $33!

It does weigh 1.5 lbs but packs up real small. I figured in case there are trees I'll use it to keep Spirit dry, and even if there aren't, I could probably just drape it over her and stake it down.
Haven't ordered it yet but it's in my wish list.

On another note, I have been promoted to Education coordinator at Joanns for the duration of my stay here in AK.
I hope they will pay me accordingly, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't!!
How soon should I let them know that I am hitting the road again?? You think 2 weeks is enough?

I also had another surprise.
A few years back I build 2 huge 7 foot "puppets" for some friends of mine to use in their show.
Mel's plan was to eventually have a T.V. program made with the characters. Well, that looks like it might start happening. So maybe sometime in the future, after I've done my trip to Nova Scotia I might find myself back on Kauai for a little while making more animatronics puppets for the show. (Well at least the head is electrically operated, the body has people in ti)

Headless bodies (the heads velcro on afterward

My daughter was inside of Nokan (the grumpy one) I changed his eyes afterward to be more visible

Mokan, the cheerful one

smaller prototypes

LOL, I know this is probably a really weird post here on ADV, but I thought I'd show it to you anyways
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #1748
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:

LOL, I know this is probably a really weird post here on ADV, but I thought I'd show it to you anyways
Maybe, but I love to see all the varied things you create!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #1749
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Maybe, but I love to see all the varied things you create!
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #1750
NomadGal OP
Esther

Does anyone have a Shorai battery installed on their KLR or other bike??
?

it only weighs 2 1/3 lbs so I am wondering if you like it and if it's worth spending$159 on. (which really isn't too much for the weight difference)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #1751
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Shorais and the like don't really like parasitic draws, I.e. what happens when we charge things like cellphones when the bike isn't running. Stick to a AGM style battery while touring. DAMHIK.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #1752
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
................I also found a large 12 x 10 feet nylon waterproof tarp on amazon for only $33!..............................
Good buy...(got a link?) Need a bigger tarp for my hammock set up.

And why has not someone of your obvious talents AND working at JoAnn's not built your own tarp? I just picked up 4 yards of rip-stop lightweight nylon and will sew two pieces to get a 10X12 tarp. Less than $15 with my wife's 50% off for fabric coupon. Water proofing? A tube of clear silicon caulk diluted in a couple cans of Odorless Mineral Spirits then soak the tarp, hang to dry (and anything else you want to water proof - enough for a couple of tarps plus some). YouTube link.

Done some small stuff sacks with excellent results.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #1753
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,694
I've had a Shorai 18amp/hour (2.19lbs) in the bike since 2012 and just upgraded to the 21AH version (3.03lbs) and 45 more CCA's. Both installed laying on their sides ground down and to the rear. Left hand terminals and different leads/cables.
No problems so far as long as I ride the bike every month. If I leave her parked and know I won't be riding her I'll unhook my Volt /temp gauge since it is a parasite and does have a draw.

If you stay AGM then Odyssey makes a good batt.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #1754
mhild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I had installed a Shorai battery in my KLR before selling it. It cranked the bike better than any battery I had used previously.

Quote:
Does anyone have a Shorai battery installed on their KLR or other bike??
?

it only weighs 2 1/3 lbs so I am wondering if you like it and if it's worth spending$159 on. (which really isn't too much for the weight difference)
mhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #1755
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Shorais and the like don't really like parasitic draws, I.e. what happens when we charge things like cellphones when the bike isn't running. Stick to a AGM style battery while touring. DAMHIK.
Hey Feike, yeah, I don't ever charge anything on the bike unless I am riding anyways. So that is not much of a problem for me. I am also getting a solar battery charger cable from GoalZero, so I can hook it up on my solar panel in case I ever run into any kind of trouble. Still thinking about it though